Two Important Questions About Steam...

1: I am aware that you can turn off udates for particular games in the library, but can the Steam client update itself or detect it needs an update (due to detection of internet connection] even though it is in offline mode?

2: Another thing, does Steam require that we revalidate our credentials by having to go online within a certain timeframe?

Neil Brock said he would look into it, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find his response. Is there anyone that knows the answer to these questions?

1: I am aware that you can turn off udates for particular games in the library, but can the Steam client update itself (due to detection of internet connection] even though it is in offline mode?

2: Another thing, does Steam require that we revalidate our credentials by having to go online within a certain timeframe?

Neil Brock said he would look into it, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find his response. Is there anyone that knows the answer to these questions?

1: No, its that reason why some people have trouble going back into offline, after staying offline for a prolonged period time then coming online. Steam require the latest client to be in offline mode, so when you can back online it detects is out of date, and so you must update it.

1: No, its that reason why some people have trouble going back into offline, after staying offline for a prolonged period time then coming online. Steam require the latest client to be in offline mode, so when you can back online it detects is out of date, and so you must update it.

Is this fact or an educated guess? Are you sure that Steam can't detect it is out of date then if you are doing other things online and the client is in offline mode?

I've been in offline mode for almost a year, as my Uni doesn't allow me to connect to Steam.

I've been in offline mode for almost a year, as my Uni doesn't allow me to connect to Steam.

So, to understand correctly, this computer you play FM on is never connected to the internet (even in offline mode)?

Post #2 says the opposite of you, so I am not sure who to believe. Is there anyone else that has a good guess?

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if this info is still required but I have always had Steam in offline mode, not once needing to go online.

Even though you are offline, if your computer is connected to the internet then Steam might be able to detect that it needs an update. If this did happen it would explain some of the difficulties that I have had with Steam. To know if we need to update our credentials after a certain periode of time then you need to be in offline mode and not connect the computer to the internet at all for a long periode of time. Some say they do and others say they don't. The reality is that no one knows the answers to these two questions in the OP for sure, not even Sega/SI knows the answer to the questions...

I said it in other threads, i have a friend who played FM11 in offline mode for about 8 months, he has no internet access and never had to revalidate anything at any time.

Look at post #2, he has the opposite oppinion of you. If you gave me first hand information then I might believe you, but the reality is that I have done extensive research (to try to find the reason for my difficulties) and even put the two questions to Sega/Si themselves and they didn't know...

well all i can say is it benefits me in no way at all to make up the story, i dont have an opinion on it, i just know what my friends experience is, he uses my internet when he needs to do things online so the only time he is connected is when he drags his desktop round to my flat. There is obviously nothing i can provide you that will prove this.

From what I've observed playing offline if you're actually offline works fine, but occasionally you can get a problem if you're playing offline but are actually online.

It seems Steam detects you're online and will take actions to update, which it shouldn't do imo, so = bug.

1: I am aware that you can turn off udates for particular games in the library, but can the Steam client update itself or detect it needs an update (due to detection of internet connection] even though it is in offline mode?

1. Offline mode will make no attempt to connect to the internet (so long as you keep the start in offline mode box ticked) so it wont update or even check for updates.

2. No, you only need to log on once, the first time, then you never need to be online again.

1. Offline mode will make no attempt to connect to the internet (so long as you keep the start in offline mode box ticked) so it wont update or even check for updates.

2. No, you only need to log on once, the first time, then you never need to be online again.

May I ask how you know this is fact, is there somewhere that it is stated (if so, please point me in the direction)? The reason I asked is because after going through all my options of why I sometimes have difficulties running Steam, these two questions I have asked seem to be the only options that I can think of that could cause the problem...

If you're running windows, you could just add an exception to the built-in firewall to always block steam so it will never be able to access the internet.

Although, you would need to unblock it when there is a patch out but it is a simple check box to disable or enable the rule once it has been created.

Not sure if this is helpful :p

Archived