Surely guaranteed Qualification already?

The year is 2008.

After a stunning 5-3 victory of Internazionale in their Champions League Group E match, a victory in their next match versus CSKA Moscow would surely see them into the next round.

Despite the 1-0 win, I do not seem to have qualified.

The remaining fixtures are:

Club Brugge vs Gers

&

CSKA Moscow vs Inter Milan

Standings

Regardless of either result, I should be through. Is this a bug?

Thanks

assuming you are right about who your final fixture is against then yes it should be telling you that you are through.

If you are playing either of the other teams then no you are not.

Have you 'continued' far enough to get the qualification message before looking up the table?

Otherwise it's a 'post it in the bugs forum job'!

looks like the game doesnt take into account WHO the last fixture is against for example if you played inter or CSKA instead of brugge you could in all possibility go out and maybe it see it as you have game left you coudl be playing inter or cska , so you could go out therfore not gaurenteed qualification.

on the otherhand i could be talking ******** icon_biggrin.gif

sorry, i actually meant to answer your question there aswell, oops

the game doesn't take into account fixture lists, only games played/left and points

therefore, igroring fixture lists, with 1 game left and 2 teams 3 points behind you, mathmatically you havn't qualified.

it's not technically a bug, but it's pretty annoying, i've had it in the past

This has always been an issue. In the Champions League it is a bit naff though since there are so few fixtures in a group that it isn't hard to take them into account.

In the league though you can see why fixtures aren't taken into account when determining what positions your team can finish in (in your manager profile) or confirming Euro qualification or relegation etc.

The very simplistic method used only tells you you can't finish 20th when the 20th team can no longer mathematically get enough points to overhaul you (even if you are top of the table). It totally ignores the fact that since all thoe other teams inbetween also have to play each other and take points off each other it is totally impossible for all of them to overhaul you, even mathematically.

This was brought up in FM07 as well and it is acknowledged as a glitch if not a bug- the game appears not to be able to quantify the possible results in the last round and will only tell you if you have qualified if the other teams cannot reach your points total ( I know that teams 2 and 3 both cant reach your total, but the game is confused! )

Not really to me. But I thought this was one of the reasons of the forum- to find bugs. Surely this is a bug.glitch? IRL if that were the league tables it would have a wee 'Q' beside my name, as everyone would know it is impossible for me not to qualify for the next round!

Plus IRL, as soon as a team hit 10 points they are through.

Originally posted by BlueAndWhiteArmy_91:

Not really to me. But I thought this was one of the reasons of the forum- to find bugs. Surely this is a bug.glitch? IRL if that were the league tables it would have a wee 'Q' beside my name, as everyone would know it is impossible for me not to qualify for the next round!

You're right. Post it in the bugs forum too icon14.gif

Olympiakos went out in 2005 with 10 points

Originally posted by williamshankley:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BlueAndWhiteArmy_91:

Olympiakos went out in 2005 with 10 points </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So did Dinamo Kiev actually. There goes my theory.

Originally posted by Pob:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

not true! icon_smile.gif at team with 12 points could still fail to qualify. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can this happen?

By all logic, 12pts is four wins, there fore they have beat each team at least once

Therefore the closest team to them could only have a maximum of nine points

Then, the team closest to the above can only have a maximum of six points...

The team at the bottom of the pile would therefore have 0 points.

With two games left, how can the team with 12 be overhauled (also taking into consideration their teams +4 GD & the fact they have beaten every team)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by williamshankley:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BlueAndWhiteArmy_91:

Olympiakos went out in 2005 with 10 points </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So did Dinamo Kiev actually. There goes my theory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And to further add to the list that I know off:

- PSV in 2003/2004

- Werder Bremen last season

Looking at the last few seasons, you could say that there is an average of one group in which it happens. But I think it's not something that will happen every season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pob:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

not true! icon_smile.gif at team with 12 points could still fail to qualify. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can this happen?

By all logic, 12pts is four wins, there fore they have beat each team at least once

Therefore the closest team to them could only have a maximum of nine points

Then, the team closest to the above can only have a maximum of six points...

The team at the bottom of the pile would therefore have 0 points.

With two games left, how can the team with 12 be overhauled (also taking into consideration their teams +4 GD & the fact they have beaten every team) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Three teams all win their home ties, 9pts, and all defeat the poor team away, 3pts.

Three teams finish on 12pts, one poor bunch of sods have 0!

icon_cool.gif

Well, 3 wins, 2 draws is the only way you can get 11 points so only one team can possibly have beaten you. Assuming there's a team with 0 points, then 2 teams will have 6 points off that team. One of those teams beats you once and loses to you once, the other must therefore have drawn with you twice (best case scenario for both clubs getting points).

Thus one other team now has 10 points, the other has 8 points. Now we need both teams to have at least 11 points so the team with 8 has to beat the team with 10 once, giving them 11 points. That leaves one remaining match, between the two teams. So long as the team on 10 points either wins or draws that game both teams can have 11+ points.

Now looking back to their results against you, one team drew twice, the other beat you once and lost to you once. In either case those teams may have a better head to head record than you or if identical they may have a better goal difference.

Conclusion: 11 points doens't guarantee qualification, but someone will probably come along now and prove otherwise icon_smile.gif

Hmm, just looked back over that and got the numbers wrong. At start of 2nd paragraph one team has 9 points, the other 8 points.

So the two teams must each beat each other once to end with 12 points and 11 points and the team on 11 points could conceivably have a better head to head record than you.

Now for someone to tell me that is wrong too icon_razz.gif

Archived