how does FM assign staff attributes to retiring players?

This is something i'm unsure about, how does the game allocated staff attributes to retiring players, be them real players or regens, Ronaldo recently retired in my game and has terrible staff attributes, but my ex captain Diamond has quite good attributes, i want to try and understand what the game takes into context when deciding which ex players will go on to be managers. Another example is Xavi in my game is prob one of the worlds best managers, but Gerrard and Lampard are quite poor, all three you would say played to around the same level in their careers, Xavi obviously a bit better but you get what i mean.

I'm not sure, but thankfully its not based solely on how good they were. If it were Sir Alex, Wenger, Mourinho, Villas-Boas, Clough and in fact most "great" (I know Villas-Boas has won a single trophy) managers wouldn't exactly be high up there.

yeah your completely right it would be boring if it was just how good they were, but i was just trying to find some kind of consistant that makes them good staff, its doesnt look like playing ability or success are just taken into account, is it maybe more personality, maybe then combined with their playing career?

I also wondered this but I think it might be random. I had David Artell a bit lumper of a CB for my Crewe side I released him as a player and the next season he retired and is now a 4 and a half star coach on a few different categories. Wilson Palacios is also only behind Sir Alex on my holiday save in the HOF

Guest markyosullivan

I've wondered this as well because in my game Michael Essien is only a decent coach/manager

Good question that. Looking at one of my players coaches I am guessing, player position/role and personality are factors. I am leaning toward personality having a greater weighting though

If you look on the editor you can see on the player details that each staff role has a rating out of 20. I think if a staff role has a rating of more than 10 the player will become that type of coach when he retires. I think the higher the rating is the higher their staff attributes will be.

I'm not sure, but thankfully its not based solely on how good they were. If it were Sir Alex, Wenger, Mourinho, Villas-Boas, Clough and in fact most "great" (I know Villas-Boas has won a single trophy) managers wouldn't exactly be high up there.

why put Villas-Boas in that list and not Guardiola? Aguirre? BILL SHANKLY????? Luxembergo, i can be here all day. don't you just love people that are as useful as a sheep in a herd.

why put Villas-Boas in that list and not Guardiola? Aguirre? BILL SHANKLY????? Luxembergo, i can be here all day. don't you just love people that are as useful as a sheep in a herd.

Guardiola was a great player that's why he wasn't on the list.

3 quick and simple reasons:

1. Because he won the Europe League this week, and was the youngest manager to win a European Competition and as such was at the front of my mind

2. Because he never played football professionally (to my knowledge)

3. Because if I had chucked them all on there then I'd be mentioning about inferior product

...I mean...

The key point is 2.

Clough was an incredible player, sadly overlooked because he was largely only successful up North. The London media really are a bitch, eh?

As far as the OP goes, I don't know. It did surprise me that the determination stat of a player isn't the same as that of a staff member. I had Hargreaves as a player/coach, and his playing det. was 18, while his coaching det. was 13.

Add me to the list. I wish the game would give some sort of indication of how good a coach can become, similar as to how players can be scouted. I'd also like to know how, exactly, coaches develop. For example, in my current save I hired Tony Meola (100 caps for USA as GK) as a goalkeeping coach. He started out the game with an 18 in GK coaching and a DDM around 38 or so. Because he was only 40 or so at the time I signed him I figured he still had room to improve. Fast forward 3 seasons and his GK coaching has dropped to 17 and his DDM to 37. After noticing a problem with another one of my coaches (his attributes kept declining from the moment I signed him) I double-checked the DB; the declining coach was accidentaly given a -1 for PA, so no bug/problem there. Meola, however, has a starting CA/PA of about 100/140. Odd. Next, I used FMRTE to look at what was happening in my save. Meola showed up as a 114/140, so he's apparently improved his coaching ability...just not in the categories that are actually relevant to the position I hired him for. Weird. He was a better GK coach at the start of his contract and with a lower CA!

Clough was an incredible player, sadly overlooked because he was largely only successful up North. The London media really are a bitch, eh?

Well, no, he wasn't really incredible. He played most of his career outside of the top flight. Granted, he was a prolific striker with Middlesbrough and Sunderland, but I'm pretty sure that they were both second division sides while Clough was playing for them. He got just a couple of England caps. I think the most notable thing was that he held some kind of Football League record for his goalscoring exploits, can't remember exactly what. Extraordinary record as a lower league professional player though.

I'll add my name to the list of people who would like to know the answer to this.

I've a feeling it's mostly random.

I agree as well, especially when as noted above you have a player go to a staff role at your club and his determination changes. That shouldn't happen, but it does, so I reckon the staff attributes get randomized. Wish it was a bit more sensible.

I tested it out with Luka Modric on my spurs save. I saved the game then had a chat telling him he would make a good coach, he said he could start right away, I accepted. His stats were crap and random. I reloaded, had the same chat , his stats were again random and cack. Tried again, his stats were world class. Tried again and they were cack again.

I tried the same thing with Michael Dawson and Vedran Corluka, both gave the same results.

Its 100% random.

Well, no, he wasn't really incredible. He played most of his career outside of the top flight. Granted, he was a prolific striker with Middlesbrough and Sunderland, but I'm pretty sure that they were both second division sides while Clough was playing for them. He got just a couple of England caps. I think the most notable thing was that he held some kind of Football League record for his goalscoring exploits, can't remember exactly what. Extraordinary record as a lower league professional player though.

Almost a goal a game at (todays) Championship level for his entire career ;) I do feel the need to stick up for him.

Almost a goal a game at (todays) Championship level for his entire career ;) I do feel the need to stick up for him.

I already said that was an extraordinary achievement. But you really can't call him an 'incredible' player when he barely played in the top flight and only got a couple of caps for his country, surely?

I think the real point here that Some Guy was making is that Clough wasn't a top player (regardless of his excellent goalscoring achievement in the second division) and yet went on to become one of the greatest managers the game has seen.

Archived