:mad:this has happened several times to me. Im qpr in hte championship 1st season pushing for promotion, scoring goals for fun. BUT....... i cannot hold onto a lead, just winning 3-0 against leicster who are struggling, 15 minutes to go they claw it back 3-3, i went to contain in that period and obviously it didn't work.

Any Help!?

Don't change your strategy if you're winning. The only thing I do if I'm holding on to a lead is manually change Time Wasting to "Much." If I'm struggling to hold possession, I'll sometimes sub my striker or ACM for an anchor man.

:mad:this has happened several times to me. Im qpr in hte championship 1st season pushing for promotion, scoring goals for fun. BUT....... i cannot hold onto a lead, just winning 3-0 against leicster who are struggling, 15 minutes to go they claw it back 3-3, i went to contain in that period and obviously it didn't work.

Any Help!?

It's your tactics mate

Don't change your strategy if you're winning. The only thing I do if I'm holding on to a lead is manually change Time Wasting to "Much." If I'm struggling to hold possession, I'll sometimes sub my striker or ACM for an anchor man.

I do completely the opposite, try to retain possesion, switch to counter or defensive. Sometimes drop deeper or hassle opponents, depending on how the game has been going.

Everytime i switch to contain or defensive it's almost as if i'm asking the AI "would you like to score a goal?" just can't get those to work unless it's really late on the game and even then..

So when i'm trying to hold a lead i switch to counter(ticking the CA off if i'm looking only to defend), increase time wasting get an anchor man on, drop deeper, switch closing down to stand-off more to keep shape,etc.

Everytime i switch to contain or defensive it's almost as if i'm asking the AI "would you like to score a goal?" just can't get those to work unless it's really late on the game and even then..

In the Championship, you need to learn to win ugly. Pack the midfield or the defence, switch to defensive, make tackling hard, and she'll be right. Did anyone watch the Cardiff v Middlesbrough game last week? Middlesbrough were defensive for the whole of the second half, but packed the pitch so that htey never really looked under pressure.

To OP - could I recommend ticking 'defensive positioning' on Match Preparation? That might help shore up your defence somewhat.

Contain is all about holding the line when you're under lots of pressure. If you're not under lots of pressure already, switching to Contain will basically invite pressure and, thus, increase the likelihood of a goal, especially if your defenders have Composure or Concentration lower than 14.

If you're controlling the match, there's not much point in going to Contain as you should be able to keep the game in your opponent's half.

It's your tactics mate

honestly that response is getting sooo boring and repetative, its not funny, its not original and it isnt helpful to the op.

anyway when im trying to hold a lead, ill generally try to retain possesion and pass to feet. depending on my opposition ill tinker with hassel or drop off. failing that do you have a young def mid/midfielder that you want to give some game time to? its an ideal time to take a striker off and employ your future superstar anchor man!

I never use contain, if i'm doing well and have a good lead usually you can keep a control or attacking strategy and still see the game out easily. Otherwise i'll switch to a counter or defensive startegy if i feel i need to because the opposition might be pushing forward and holding the ball in my half.

Like Ego Scripter said if you're not under pressure going to a contain strategy will only invite pressure.

Archived