The impossible decisions which make FM the best game ever.

Started a game with the team I support, Dover, won the Blue Square South at a canter first season, won the Blue Square Premier pretty comfortably and got 3rd place in League Two on the last day of the season - now, in League One we've really found our limit I fear - 10 games in, we've won 1, drawn 1 and lost 8.

My bank balance is half a million in the red, I'm not getting much money in gate receipts as I can't afford to upgrade my stadium and I'm relying on players who are just too old and slow for this level.

I genuinely don't know how much further I can take them - we're certainties for the drop and I don't have the money to improve the squad, ground, facilities, anything.

And I've just been offered the jobs at West Ham and Leicester - both in the Championship - I've rejected Leicester despite them having a £14.5M transfer budget, I've delayed West Ham for a week while I have a think, and I've been linked to the Liverpool job.

So I have the decision - one of the oldest in FM history - stay or go? I'd love to stay and get Dover up at least one more decision but no matter what I try this season, we're rooted to the bottom. I can't possibly go through the heartbreak of relegation. Every manager has to move on at some point.. or do they?

It's devastating seeing me half-destroy them this season though.. we've just gone to Scunthorpe and got smashed 6-0 and lost 3-1 at home to Plymouth.

I don't want to turn from a hero into a zero..

Stay mate. It happened to me on FM10 with Droylsden. Joined them in November after they sacked their manager at the time. I joined and managed to stay up. Second season(my first full). I won the league(BSN). The next season I won the BSP. Then the following season I was leading League Two but lost form and snatched third on the last day of the season. I kept faith with the players I had for my League One season. We won 4-0 in our first game but from then we struggled and by October(I think) we were bottom. Players morale was rock bottom and I just got bored of the save. I slightly regret that now. I wish I had stayed and tried to fight for it. Stay. If you go down look to replace old players on less wages and build your way back up.

Stay. Or better still, join any of the other teams in the BSS who are way better than Dover :p Like Dartford ;) I took the mighty Darts to the premier league, was tempted to leave at times, particularly in League One. But who could leave Princes Park?

Decided to stay - we showed some real fight and although still bottom of the league, we're only 5 points off safety. Will be my biggest challenge yet, but we'll give it a good go.

And braundjoh - I'm looking forward to leaving Princes Park at 4.50 tomorrow with three points in the bag.. :)

Just go! :D

If you have no money, little hope of staying up and little chance of ever turning the club's fortunes (and finances) around, there's little point in sticking with a project you've clearly taken as far as you possibly could...

• 2 weeks later...
I like to put it in terms of my manager's personal ambition and financial needs.

So even if I was a Dover fanatic i'd probably (with some regret) end up joining West Ham for the wage money.

And the fact West Ham are the best club in England ;)

It also depends how you play your game. I am a one club person, so who I choose, I stick with.

I have the same dilemma in my Middlesbrough save. I took them up from the Championship (yes I know hardly your achievments with Dover) established them mid table Premiership over the next 2 and a half seasons and finished runner up in the FA Cup. I was offered the job at Juventus....I know my managerial talents have taken Middlesbrough as far as I can, I just don't think I can push on, so what did I do, of course, the lure of staying with MY club was too strong and I rejected Juventus and have now spent the last few months of game time regreting this as they push on in the Champions League and I struggle mid table in the Premier League....I just hope that wasn't my one and only "Big Team" opportunity.

I would never leave the club I support in real life. I am guessing you have looked at loan offers and asked for a parent club? Any striker you can loan that has some pace is extremely handy in league one and league two.

Don't forget to offer trials to players the big teams release at the end of the season, there can be some decent signings there. When i was in league 1/2 with Boston i also offered trials to all french regens under 18 on July 1st, ive found several players who are established prem players now.

The grass isn't always greener. West Ham and Leicester are managerless for a reason. Yeah, you're having a tough time right now, but with a few key loans and maybe some reasonable free agents and you can start picking up points. One unexpected point can build confidence, and confidence is the key in the Football League. Also, if you can, make sure you have the best fitness coaches you can afford, as being able to last 90 minutes and not concede late goals can be crucial. Finally, versatility! A midfielder who can play the Makele (Libero) role, or a striker who you can stick out wide and pack the midfield to see out a game when you're on course for a point or three is always useful.

If you decide to stick with it and, regardless of whether you stay up, use the summer to rebuild and let us know how it goes!

Archived