A fail so epic I just had to share it before i consign it to the depths of my mind...

So... I am a manager of good stature, having a promotion to the EPL and an FA Cup win under my belt as well... (FM2010)

Just to set the scene there you see...

I have failed to qualify for the 2014 World Cup with 3 different teams in the qualification cycle...

1) Singapore - I was a point away from a shock qualification to the final round of matches. Gutted at my heroic failure, I quit in a fit of pique.

2) I was then snapped up by Bosnia & Herzegovina and played out a decent qualification campaign (even though i lost twice... to Moldova...) and finished 2nd in the group.... but as the worst placed runner up I was denied the chance to get in a play-off.

3) Scotland, the team who beat me to the final play off spot by a point or so in another group had no manager for their last game, so I quit Bosnia and decided to have one final crack at qualification - they hired me fairly quickly on account of my manager being Scottish (always useful). I was faced with Sweden in the play-off - I won the first leg 4-1 and then went to Sweden to throw it away 3-0 to lose overall on away goals.

I'm torn between resigning/retiring out of anguish. What an epic fail. IRL i'd be reviled and laughed at around the world.

Anyone else have an epic tale of woe and misfortune...?

I've lost in the second round of my last two World Cups with Brazil (Croatia, 1-0, despite dominating the match) and France (against Brazil, 4-1). Both teams were expected to make the final. Whoops. At least I've already won it three times, or I'd feel worthless.

What an epic fail. IRL i'd be reviled and laughed at around the world.

You'll be called Steve McClaren.....or worse.....Glenn Roeder.

Don't retire as a failure. Go somewhere small and regain your reputation. Fight your way back to the top......like McClaren did lol

I'm sure you can do :thup:

You be called Steve McClaren.....or worse.....Glenn Roeder.

Don't retire as a failure. Go somewhere small and regain your reputation. Fight your way back to the top......like McClaren did lol

I'm sure you can do :thup:

if u get an offer from wolfsburg however, best leave it be ;D

In my save with Manchester United I went out in the second round of the FA cup against Manchester City even though they got two red cards and came back from a 0-2 deficit scoring 2 goals from corners and one goal from Tevez after Vidic was on the sideline getting a treatment and Evans didn't felt like defending at all.

Needless to say they had only 3 shots on goal and I had 8 CCCs.

Next embarrassment didn't wait long when I was thrown out by Real Madrid in the first CL knock out round after winning my away game 3-2 at Bernabeu.

They came to Old Trafford and even though I was set up extremely defensive they killed me with a counter before half-time and another one shortly after halftime.

A year ago in FM 10 I managed to lose the CL finale against Fiorentina as well as the FA and the Carling Cup finale against Liverpool FC that was really embarrassing.

As Newcastle, I recently managed to turn a 3-0 First Leg win against Valencia in the Champions League Qtr Final to a loss 4-3 on agg by losing in Valencia 4-0. I put my strongest team out for both legs as well.

For that 2nd Leg; when Valencia scored 2 in the first 10 mins....knowing the game as well as I do; I knew no matter what I did I was going out.

let me guess, yeah? You were cruising 4-0 in the first leg with about 5/10 minutes to go and they scored a goal out of nowhere?(possibly a set-piece).

Meaning they had to win 3-0 in the 2nd and they were through... and then thats what happened....?

Ha ha how did you guess!!!

No excuse for losing to Moldova with Bosnia though. He has Begovic, Pjanic, and Dzeko, for god sake!

Yep - my thoughts exactly. Being tonked 4-0 at home by them was a low point i must confess, but i did beat Germany twice and Ireland once. Silly Bosnia...

Archived