Ever hit the proverbial wall?

I'm 6 seasons into a game in the bottom tier of Swedish football with Umedalen.

Last 6 seasons ive finished

4th - 4th - 2nd - 4th - 3rd - 4th

Only the top team gets promoted, feel like I just dont have the skill/luck to take the club forward but seems such a shame to give up after 6 seasons with the club, the dressing room banter is pretty poor, but the burger van man gives me discount...

What would you do? Ever been in a similar situation?

I'd stick at it mate. I remember I played FM10 with Crystal Palace. I never finished outside the top five in six seasons and every time I lost out in the play offs. Never even got to a play off final. On the seventh season I finally got promotion (won the league) by a point. I was fubbin thrilled!!

Funny thing is, I lost the passion for Palace after getting them promoted so resigned five games into the Premiership. We were in 14th at the time :p

Side note: I then got the Real Betis job when the were 11th in La Liga and I got fired at the end of the season. Finished 16th :(

Absolutely stay with it. There are many ways to improve your team. This is the fun of the game. Piloting an EPL powerhouse to five straight titles is boring. Some suggestions:

1. Watch every match completely. Full matches look very different from either the extended or key highlights. You'll spot weaknesses in both your players and your tactics.
  2. Each season, decide who your three weakest players are (both on the starting squad and on the team in general) and replace them.
  3. Scout for specific types of players and/or positions and/or skills to support the above.
  4. Make a concentrated effort to improve the coaching staff. This will pay off over time.
  5. Work on player morale; this has a great effect on team performance. If your players are unhappy, figure out why and fix it. Trade the manic depressives and the psychotics.
  6. Get team integrity up; this also has a great effect on performance. Set up a tactic and a starting eleven and stick with it. Don't diddle with it just to diddle.
  7. In short, conduct a thorough review of everything you're doing. With your team already near the top, you'll certainly find enough areas for improvement to bump up.

Remember, just like life, FM is a journey, not a destination.

I have taken many teams from BSN/BSS to the Champions of Europe.

All teams can grow. Don't offer long contracts, be very tight with money. Cut off players who aren't good enough. Sign players who will improve the squad.

It sounds basic, but then it kind of is.

I'm 6 seasons into a game in the bottom tier of Swedish football with Umedalen.

Last 6 seasons ive finished

4th - 4th - 2nd - 4th - 3rd - 4th

Only the top team gets promoted, feel like I just dont have the skill/luck to take the club forward but seems such a shame to give up after 6 seasons with the club, the dressing room banter is pretty poor, but the burger van man gives me discount...

What would you do? Ever been in a similar situation?

This is the type of situation that this game is all about when you play it in a realistic way. Maybe it's time to see if a local D1N club will take you sometime in the next couple of seasons? Umeå and Ersboda are both local, Boden and Östersund are both not too far away. Dunno which of those are in D1N at the moment? Umedalen are historically pretty crap so you've done well keeping them in decent league positions.

I have taken many teams from BSN/BSS to the Champions of Europe.

All teams can grow. Don't offer long contracts, be very tight with money. Cut off players who aren't good enough. Sign players who will improve the squad.

It sounds basic, but then it kind of is.

Don't sign long term contracts? I go for the opposite, but I almost only sign young players with great potential (4-5 stars). As I progress I offload the ones that didn't make it, but am able to keep the ones that did because of the long term contracts. Something that would be a lot more costly if I had to make them a new contract every 2-3 years.

Don't sign long term contracts? I go for the opposite, but I almost only sign young players with great potential (4-5 stars). As I progress I offload the ones that didn't make it, but am able to keep the ones that did because of the long term contracts. Something that would be a lot more costly if I had to make them a new contract every 2-3 years.

Definitely agree with that. I've made the mistake of signing a decent youngster on a 2 year deal, never again! I had to lose him for nothing or make him my highest paid player even after negotiations! I'd go for long-term deals for youngsters everyday of the week if you think they the potential to break into the first team

Archived