Can't score a 1-on-1!!!

I dunno why i have this problem, but I can only score long range shots, headers, and 2-on-1s, I never score a 1-on-1 despite the fact I've a 5-star shooting coach and good strikers (Chelsea + Neymar)... but they just always shot them in the goalkeepers head or out for some reason.. Any advice on how to make the players finishing actually show in the match?

BTW:- Is it just me, or is scoring a penalty is also hard this game (for both sides)?

I dunno why i have this problem, but I can only score long range shots, headers, and 2-on-1s, I never score a 1-on-1 despite the fact I've a 5-star shooting coach and good strikers (Chelsea + Neymar)... but they just always shot them in the goalkeepers head or out for some reason.. Any advice on how to make the players finishing actually show in the match?

BTW:- Is it just me, or is scoring a penalty is also hard this game (for both sides)?

Penalties in FM11 kinds seem to be too reliant on the penalty taking attribute, as in, a guy with Penalty rating of 6 will miss almost 3 in 4 penalties, while one with a rating of 18 wiill miss 7 out of 25 or so.

Penalties in FM11 kinds seem to be too reliant on the penalty taking attribute, as in, a guy with Penalty rating of 6 will miss almost 3 in 4 penalties, while one with a rating of 18 wiill miss 7 out of 25 or so.

Who is talking about penalties?

Isn't that realistic?

Who is talking about penalties?

Open you eyes, switch on your brain, and now read the last line of the OP.

Isn't that realistic?

I never said it wasn't. Just trying to comment on why the OP may be finding penalties hard to score. And frankly, it is NOT totally realistic to have it this way. A player with Penalty Taking = 20 should not be missing one in every 5 penalties (which is the current system or so I've read before, each attribute weighted out of 25), especially since 20 on an attribute would mean the Best there can possibly be. Also, a player with 10 on penalty (which is most players BTW) would mean they would only score 10 out of 25 penalty kicks they try. That is simply not realistic at any level. 10 out of 25 realistic... are you joking?

While this did not seem like the case in the FM10 ME, I only get a slight feeling that this has become the case in FM11. Anyway, I may be wrong about it, and it may still be exactly like in FM10.

I never said it wasn't. Just trying to comment on why the OP may be finding penalties hard to score. And frankly, it is NOT totally realistic to have it this way. A player with Penalty Taking = 20 should not be missing one in every 5 penalties (which is the current system or so I've read before, each attribute weighted out of 25), especially since 20 on an attribute would mean the Best there can possibly be. Also, a player with 10 on penalty (which is most players BTW) would mean they would only score 10 out of 25 penalty kicks they try. That is simply not realistic at any level. 10 out of 25 realistic... are you joking?

While this did not seem like the case in the FM10 ME, I only get a slight feeling that this has become the case in FM11. Anyway, I may be wrong about it, and it may still be exactly like in FM10.

Got it! My players miss a couple of penalties during a season (managing Vauxhall motors, so the best penalty taker is 10). Think it's normal. Nothing bad like missing almost every penalty happened yet.

Got it! My players miss a couple of penalties during a season (managing Vauxhall motors, so the best penalty taker is 10). Think it's normal. Nothing bad like missing almost every penalty happened yet.

Hmm... well it all seems a bit chance-based to me. My striker with a penalty rating of 16 used to hit most spot-kicks till last season, but this season he has missed all 5 attempts so far.

A player with 20 for penalities may miss one in every five penalities it depends on his other stats, he may have 1 for pressure and 1 for composure. It it how the stats blend together which would make him miss or not. Also the advice I have read in the guides that get published on the fan sites for download show that even if a player had 20 in everything he still may miss a penalt,y but it is more unlikely that he will as the higher the stats means the less mistakes he will make. However, everybody is human and mistakesand this will happen even to the best of players

Nonsense. I just won a penalty shootout cup tie by making 7 of 8 penalties where only two of the players had attributes of 10, and the rest were in the 4-7 range. And it was one of the 10's that missed (right off the bat, no less).

A reminder to those who like to form opinions about the game based upon one or two anecdotes: the plural of anecdote is not data. ;)

Strikers are horrible in 1 on 1 in this game. And I'm referring to the best strikers in the game with great stats. Torres, Villa, Rooney, etc, they constantly miss one-on-ones, and most of the time the attempts at goal are disasterous in the 3D view (e.g. it looks like they're often slicing it very wide).

For example, I faced Barcelona in the CL in the second season, and David Villa had what seemed like ten one-on-ones as Barcelona tore my team apart, yet he missed every single one of them (and as per above, most of the attempts were horrible on the 3D view). A striker with his stats should be lethal in those situations, and at the very least get a high percentage of his shots on target, but doesn't.

Yep, I score one out of four, maybe one out of three one on ones and with top strikers as well...they just shoot straight at the goalkeeper. On the other hand I have seen ludicrous headers scored, like headers without any real power, shot from almost the edge of the area. I do understand that in real football the percentage of one on ones scored is significantly lower than what most people would think, but top strikers certainly score more often than 1 in 3/4 one on ones.

I've never had any trouble with penalties.

I tend to score penalties in normal games rvp is a ledge with pens. However, I have lost 4 out of 4 shootouts!

I find 1 on 1's frustrating too. My strikers could streak ahead of the defence and go on with the gk and kick it at him. Then they will score a wonder goal from some acute angle! That's just fm.

Nonsense. I just won a penalty shootout cup tie by making 7 of 8 penalties where only two of the players had attributes of 10, and the rest were in the 4-7 range. And it was one of the 10's that missed (right off the bat, no less).

A reminder to those who like to form opinions about the game based upon one or two anecdotes: the plural of anecdote is not data. ;)

You're funny. The text you quoted in your post was not an anecdote, it was an example I used to explain a theory about attributes on one of the earlier FMs which I read one of the forums last year. Read it carefully again and maybe you'd understand, if you don't feel free to ask for details and I'll try to explain it better. Smart quips like yours don't seem to resolve anything here, neither the OP's questions, nor mine or anyone else's doubts. Do you have any real information, or are you trying to get your "opinion" across by providing an "anecdote"?

On a separate note, it seems that a number of attributes apart from the Penalty attribute may be at play here, as pointed out by Wazza. Apart from Composure and Pressure, Consistency also seems to affect a player's performance (overall, including penalties). This is because the consistency rating apparently works by reducing key attributes for players every now and then. In other words, a player with a high Consistency attribute will play most games with his attributes at 100%, while a less consistent player will play many games with reduced attribute values, resulting in not-so-great performance.

You're funny. The text you quoted in your post was not an anecdote, it was an example I used to explain a theory about attributes on one of the earlier FMs which I read one of the forums last year. Read it carefully again and maybe you'd understand, if you don't feel free to ask for details and I'll try to explain it better. Smart quips like yours don't seem to resolve anything here, neither the OP's questions, nor mine or anyone else's doubts. Do you have any real information, or are you trying to get your "opinion" across by providing an "anecdote"?

Your original assertion: "Penalties in FM11 kinds seem to be too reliant on the penalty taking attribute, as in, a guy with Penalty rating of 6 will miss almost 3 in 4 penalties, while one with a rating of 18 wiill miss 7 out of 25 or so" (from post #2) is not data. It's the result of a collection of personal anecdotes. You see people taking penalties, you seem to remember a certain trend, and without doing actual analysis, you pile the anecdotal evidence up and compile a prediction as if that evidence acted as statistical data. Thus, my statement.

My anecdote is a perfect counterpoint to your assertion. Managing 7 out of 8 penalties with players who on the average had your bench-mark of 6 is quite unlikely if your statement about penalty results is accurate. How unlikely I won't bother to work out for you; I can't be arsed to do simple statistics for you on a nice, sunny Sunday morning. Suffice it to say that, as between the unlikely possibility that your statement is actually correct, and the more likely possibility that your statement, backed entirely by your anecdotal "data", is incorrect, I know who's face got cut by Occam's rasor.

As for other attributes, of COURSE other attributes apply. That's pretty much a "duh!" statement, I would think. :rolleyes: Not only do the attributes figure in, but one has to believe that the condition of the player at the time will factor in as well. A player with strong legs at the beginning of the game is much more likely to make a penalty than someone who has been involved in 120 min. of end-to-end action.

I do think there is a problem with penalties in this game

2evd89x.png

From open play, out of about 20 penalties I've only scored about two, but my penalty takers are usually quite poor so I don't know.

And on the subject of 1 v 1, I'd say they're severely broken. It seems pretty impossible for a player to score from that situation with it first rebounding off the keeper or something.

I had a penalty shootout, Carlton Cup match, last night. It went to 18 shots - and only 5 were goals. Two Premiership teams, 13 of 18 penalty shots missed. In what world would that every happen? My previous penalty shootout was a regular season match, and we won with 1 goal scored.

1 on 1's: I understand a lot goes into whether a player scores, but I also see far too high a percentage of these kicked right into the keeper, relative to "real life." Enough so that I hate it when I get a 1 on 1 rather than a counter where there is someone the person with the ball can pass to, because I know with the one on one break that he'll almost always just shoot it into the keeper.

Both of these appear to be something that just needs to be tweaked a little by S.I.

Archived