if steam has patched the demo in a few days ....why cant this be the norm ???

just noticed there was an update to my FM 11 demo and a few bits and bobs changed (already up in other threads).....so if it took steam 2-3 days to fix a few thing why cant this be done on a regular basis. stead of the 2nd patch in Dec and the 3rd in mid Feb, why cant we have smaller patches every week or 2........

for example i got FM10 in Nov 2009 there was problems...got Patch2 there was Bigger problems ....finally Patch 3 came out and saved the day in .....mid Feb 2010. more the 4 months after release date.....

if there was smaller patches/updates every 2weeks the Super Keeper thing that killed the game for so many people wouldn't have turned into the monster it did.......

works like this............Patch 2 comes out ....AHHHHH people find that their WORLD CLASS FORWARDS cant score from 2yards out and their team are missing 2, 3, 4 sitters a game....there is a BIG PROB...stead of having to wait over 2 months for the 3rd patch......bring out a patch that fixes ONLY the CCC problem.

just a thought.......

because not all people buy the game through steam. If they decide to have regular updates through steam then the game would have to be limited only to steam purchase or steam authentication. People won't like that.

Then release a minipatch each week over steam and bundle all those minipatches together to release at the usual "big patch" times for people who don't want to use steam. If you look at the patch notes for previous patches it shows that they're bundles of small incremental patches anyway.

mainly because if small patches came out ever 2 or 4 weeks, that would mean alot more work for SPorts Interactive workers, 3 patches every 2 months or so is more than enough. There needs to be a decent time frame between patches to gauge out the results fro the wide range of gamers and then they start on the next patch which in turn takes a while to do, when they fix 1 bug, that may inturn have a side effect which creates another bug, so they have to check every bug fix 3 or 4 times, which of course in doing that, uses alot of time to do.

I certainly wouldn't mind getting smaller regular updates if they fixed bugs reliably; I don't see the downside for anyone with a decent Internet connection. Probably not practical from a planning and testing perspective though.

steam really sucks,

No. That has nothing to do with anything.

As far as the mini-updates, I imagine that SI stays away from those because of the added headaches of multiple game versions existing at the same time. Users on these forums get confused as to whether they are running version xx.1, xx.2, or xx.3; imagine the confusion if there were ten mini patches.

Also, my guess is that SI prefer larger, less common patching because it offers more time for bug testing.

• Administrators

Yeah nothing changed in terms of 'patching' it - it was just the wrong Mac Demo was uploaded by accident originally - we sent the beta build when it should have been the demo build.

Patching a game is completely different. You have to remember for every tiny change there are potentially knock-ons in game which need to be thoroughly tested before we can even think about releasing it.

Patching a game is completely different. You have to remember for every tiny change there are potentially knock-ons in game which need to be thoroughly tested before we can even think about releasing it.

So what your telling me Neil is; patching FM is very similiar to travelling back in time? :D

Archived