FM is too tactics based?

Dont get me wrong, i love most the tactics fm puts into the game... although, there are the odd few that dont need to be there!

In real life i doubt managers acctually say to their players "tackle this player hard" or soft. They would say things like "i want you to make runs down the channels" or "i want you to hold up the play" etc

Id rather interact more with the players in training and tell them to work on this, and to generally be involved more in how i am developing the player. Rather than just saying on match day. Tackle this player hard. Or close this player down, always, i mean players wouldnt close him down more or less, they would do it to the best of their ability.

what do you think??

I disagree about managers not saying, for example, 'tackle this player hard'. I think it happens all the time and I'm glad we have the option to do it in game. I kjnda take your point about your players closing down to the best of their ability anyway, but I do think that emphasising that you want a particular player to be tightly marked or closed down all the time will lead to this happening as you're getting the players to focus a bit more on the individual in question than they would if you just left it at 'close everyone down all the time'.

Oh, and hi everyone. First post!!!

I think it's difficult to balance the game to suit those who think it is too in depth, but also satisfy the purists who enjoy the little tactical details... And I actually think FM10 does this really well with the amount of help you can get from your backroom staff means you just click one button and its done, something that purists who enjoy a more in depth experience may think about and decide more deliberately.

I do however like the idea of interacting with players more, and I think this is something we will see in FM11 (although not quite in the way you specified).

Also, IRL managers definitely do tell their players to 'let them know they are there', ie, hard tackling, particularly on players with low bravery or who are deemed a bit fragile.

You don't need to be a tactical genius. In some saves, I've just set up a basic, one-size-fits-all tactic that I think will do well, and then barely tweaked it throughout the season, instead focusing on motivation and man management to get players performing well.

it's not too tactic based. It's just that FM10 have extreem issue with player motivation and confidence. If you have good players, and they are having good form, morale, confidence, throw in any tactic and you can still run your oponents over easily.

If morale, confidence and motivation is low, the best tactic still will not save you. Then throw in the half time team talk, what you see on the pitch is another team. The AI manager seems to be very good with team talk to almost all the time make their team perform better. While the many of us screw this up.

There's a couple of team talk guide and if you havent read those, you will probably mess it up more often and wondered what you have done wrong in tactics.

Dont get me wrong, i love most the tactics fm puts into the game... although, there are the odd few that dont need to be there!

In real life i doubt managers acctually say to their players "tackle this player hard" or soft. They would say things like "i want you to make runs down the channels" or "i want you to hold up the play" etc

Id rather interact more with the players in training and tell them to work on this, and to generally be involved more in how i am developing the player. Rather than just saying on match day. Tackle this player hard. Or close this player down, always, i mean players wouldnt close him down more or less, they would do it to the best of their ability.

what do you think??

You didn't see the Wolves assault on Barton today then?

I would say that the tactical side of the game is weighted about right. If anything, the media aspect of it is too influential. Players react too dramatically to things you say in the media. I agree that the media does have an effect in real life. I just think results can be decided too easily by what managers happen to say.

I don't agree with the original post. Better or more creative players are going to be roughed up or closed down more than normal. The likes of Scholes (or Barton today as Jedaye pointed out) will get more attention than any run of the mill player - It is natural to try and remove the threat of the oppositions best striker/midfielder right?

I haven't had the chance to play FM 10 so I am not familiar with the new tactics system they put in, although I am relatively certain that the complexity of tactics is not an issue. You have the choice of using a basic 4-4-2 or trying to develope something more weird and wonderful. I agree with an earlier post regarding morale and confidence, if your players are in the right frame of mind and are good enough then you should experience a fair amount of success (provided you are not using kamikaze tactics).

You can already set individual player instructions for holding up the ball, etc. I reckon that the level of tactical input is fine at the moment, it allows players to go indepth without being OTT.

As for the game becoming like chess - I wouldn't describe like that because it implies that it has become complex, at the end of the day it is a Management sim and accordingly you have to play to your strengths and on the opposition's weaknesses, you wouldn't have expected Blackburn to try and out pass Arsenal today would you?

I think the game has got a good balance.

Archived