FM08 - F.C Barcelona - Home Of The Spanish Giants

jonahno6

http://blogdelrojo.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/barcelona-fc.jpg

Futbol Club Barcelona, known familiarly as Barça (IPA: 'baɾ.sə), is a sports club based in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. It is best known for its football team. It was founded in 1899 by a group of Swiss, English, and Catalan men led by Joan Gamper. The club has become a Catalan institution, hence the motto Més que un club (More than a club).

They were founding members of La Liga in 1928, and, together with Real Madrid and Athletic Bilbao, they have never been relegated from the Primera División. The club were also the first La Liga champions. With 19 La Liga, 24 Copa del Rey, 7 Supercopa de España, 32 Joan Gamper Trophy, 2 UEFA Champions League, 4 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, 3 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and 2 European Super Cup trophies.

The club's main stadium is the Camp Nou and the fans of FC Barcelona are known as culers or culés. In June 2007, the number of socis (club members/owners) reached 156,366, while in June 2006 the number of penyes (officially-registered supporter clubs) reached 1782 worldwide

Domestic Competitions

* La Liga Champions: 19

o 1929, 1937, 1945, 1948, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1959, 1960, 1974, 1985, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2005, 2006

* Copa del Rey: 24 (record)

o 1910, 1912, 1913, 1920, 1922, 1925, 1926, 1928,1937, 1942, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1957, 1959, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1978, 1981, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1997, 1998

* Supercopa de España: 7

o 1983, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1996, 2005, 2006

* Copa de la Liga: 2 (record)

o 1982, 1986

International Competitions

* UEFA Champions League: 2

o 1992, 2006

* UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 4 (record)

o 1979, 1982, 1989, 1997

* European Super Cup: 2

o 1992, 1997

* Copa Latina: 2

o 1949, 1952

* Inter-Cities Fairs Cup: 3 (record)

o 1958, 1960, 1966

* Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Trophy Play-Off: 1

o 1971

• 1 Valdés

• 3 Milito

• 4 Márquez

• 5 Puyol

• 6 Xavi

• 7 Guðjohnsen

• 8 Iniesta

• 9 Eto'o

• 10 Ronaldinho

• 11 Zambrotta

• 14 Henry

• 15 Edmílson

• 16 Sylvinho

• 17 Giovani

• 18 Ezquerro

• 19 Messi

• 20 Deco

• 21 Thuram

• 22 Abidal

• 23 Oleguer

• 24 Touré

• 25 Jorquera

• 26 Crosas

• 27 Bojan

• 28 Oier

• Coach: Rijkaard

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good 1st post there, i will eventually go as barcelona, it is normally about my 3rd or 4th game, cant wait got henry and messi upfront and ronaldinho etc etc, they will probably be the best team on the game if you go on player for player...Allez Barcelona

Started out as Barca on the demo. First of all, the improved match engine (once patched up) is a GREAT thing for all barca fans. Now they can actually play allmost like the real deal. At least offensively. Defensively, the match engine has some well-known flaws still.

On the offensive side of things, you've got problems! Problems deciding who to play! There's just so much quality and talent that smile everytime you look at the squad screen.

And yet, if you want to bring in any players, you might want to look at an AMR, to back up Messi. Perhaps a talented youngster. With all the offensive talent in the squad, there's no natural AMR besides Messi. Perhaps Guy Asulin or Jeffren from the Barca C squad, could do the job in a few years, but not from the get-go.

Also, look for a backup DMC. The oldschool muscle-type-of-player to backup Touré. He's the only muscle in midfield as 'the small three' have lots of talent, but little strength. If you can wait for Edmilson to recover from injury, that's fine...

I'm a bit disappointed though, by Touré's stats. Even though he's above average for a DMC, his physical stats are NOT a mirror of real life. That guy is strong, at least stronger than 16, and it is a vital part of his game!!! Lets hope it gets corrected by the time of the oficial release...

Anyway, lets see some more Barca coaches!

VISCA EL BARCA!!!

Not at all!

Just play him right. Currently I use him as single striker in my close-to-real-life 4-3-3 with Ronaldinho/Henry and Messi on the wings. I'm giving him a defensive mentality (first notch below 'normal'), so he comes deep to get the ball and join the buildup play. The wingers got attacking mentalities, so often they're ahead of him. working pretty good so far. He's pretty lethal for me...

As a big Barca fan I started a demo game with them to see if I can play in the game as they do in real life. I'm impressed so far...with the exception of the defensive side of things. But that will be covered with a patch I'm sure. Anyway, Ronni and "GOD" Messi are amazing on the wings with full creative freedom and free roles. Henry and Eto'o score bags of goals, usually braces and hat-tricks every game. Rotating them two upfront is a joy!In midfield Xavi, Deco and Iniesta rotate for the 2 MC spots and I'm using Marquez as DMC to shield the defense.

I have to say though, I'm dissapointed with few things: 1) Yaya Toure is very underrated and he should be DMC! and 2)Iniesta could've been given 16's for acceleration and pace and be DM,AMRLC. and 3) Transfer budget is too low.

I've made three signings so far: Derek Boateng, Beluschi and a right back from Villareal i can't remember his name.I'm top of the league after beating Valencia (4-3 Eto'o with a hat-trick), Mallorca (3-1 with 2 from Titi), Zaragoza (4-0 2 from Eto'o) and Atletico Mad. (3-0). In my CL group I'm with Schalke, Porto and Besiktas. Beat the germans 4-2 at home Henry had a brace.

To be honest, I can't wait for the full version release so I can start a proper game with the mighty Barca. FM08 will be fun!!!

What HE said...

My point exactly. Impressive match engine on the offensive side of things. It's actually possible to play somewhat like Barca IRL. Touré physically MUCH underrated though...

Transfer budget too low??!? You know you can adjust the budget yourself right? By lowering the wage budget, I believe u can get close to 30 million €!!! Besides... there's not great a need for transfers other than a DR and perhaps a couple of 3rd choice backups.

Originally posted by rune_star:

What HE said...

My point exactly. Impressive match engine on the offensive side of things. It's actually possible to play somewhat like Barca IRL. Touré physically MUCH underrated though...

Transfer budget too low??!? You know you can adjust the budget yourself right? By lowering the wage budget, I believe u can get close to 30 million €!!! Besides... there's not great a need for transfers other than a DR and perhaps a couple of 3rd choice backups.

Adjust the budget??? Oh, that's right...now I have to try that....starting over. Maybe I can get Dani Alves for right back?!Who else is good there?

Well, I started new game and adjusted the budget. The max was at 72 mil. US dollars so I took it. I bought Zaccardo(DRC)-20M, Lorik Cana(DM)-13,5M, Derek Boateng(MC)-1,1M and Belluschi(AMRC)-18M.

I'm just before my first of four frendlies. My planned starting line-up:

GK-Valdez

DR-Zambrotta

DL-Abidal

DCR-Zaccardo (until Puyol gets back)

DCL-Millito

DM-Cana

MCR-Iniesta/Deco

MCL-Xavi/Deco

AMR-MESSI(DONNA) the GOD

AML-Ronni

FC-Eto'o/Henry

I'll report later when I've played a little bit more.BTW, I can't wait for the full release so I can start proper game with Barca. There are some young gems like Breno and Menez that I would buy. Also interested to see how Giovanni and Bojan would develop!

Adios amigos!

I had to use Giovanni for 4-5 games in a row as AML due to injuries... He's got potential!!! Scored two (one from a beautiful breakthrough on the edge of the box, much similar to Messi's real-life goal this weekend against Atletico), and played just brilliant!

never done a barca save on any fm or champ man, so decided to give it ago. I'm enjoying it at the mo playing a 433, picked up marcelo for 5.5m and zapater for 7 but i keep conceding goals, was hammering valencia for example 3-1 and villa rounds of a hat trick to make it 3-3 with like 2 mins to go. proper barca i suppose tho score goals and dont care bout conceding.

Just started a barca gmae. Usually I always go with arsenal, but I decided to try something new. I have always used a 3cb lineup in FM, but I still want to keep somewhat true to the barca style with the singer striker up top. The team starts off pretty well as far as attacking options go, stacked in the middle, could use some back-ups on the wings. The problem at the beginning for me is the defense. Playing 3 cb makes you need two things: CB who can jump(no wide backs means lots of crosses) and 2 DM to tidy things up in the back. Both things are lacking with Puyol being out, and edmilson being the only real DM and not getting any younger. Yaya should be a great DM but as everybody says he got robbed in 08. So heres my lineup for now...might start a new one when the patch comes out.

GK: Valdes

CB:Milito

CB:Marquez

CB:Zambrotta(selling, here because of INJ)

DMC:Toure(working DM)

DMC:Xavi(deep playmaker)

MC: Iniesta

AMR:Messi

AML:Ronnie

FC:Henry (eto'o)

Bought Zapata and Veloso to help with CB and DM duties. How is everybody setting up the big three up front? Right now I have ronnie and messi with full FWR, RWB, then mixed on everything else with a 17 mentality and medium CF(Should I give them more CF?) and then the ST I have 20 ment. with medium CF and then full FWR, RWB, mixed LS, then rarly on everything else. Anybody have a better set up for the front?

I use a different setup for the front three.

My ST is on low mentality (around first notch of normal) and high CF, to come deep and join the build-up, but still allowing him to run into whatever position he finds good for a ie deep pass. The wingers are kept on a so-so tight leash to keep the game wide. They have attacking mentality (around 4-5 notches from max), but only low or medium cf to prevent them from straying too far away from the sideline.

So most of the time in my buildup, the front three is on-line with each other because of the ST's low ment. and the wingers' high ment. Then the striker makes a run to either side, supporting the winger with ball, thus opening the middle for a forward run by Deco or Iniesta... Looks great!

Agreed. Deco is awesome this time 'round!!!

Anyway, FWR and RWB are on mixed by default. I try to alter these settings individually during a match if needed. However, the wingers at Barca are smart enough to know when to dribble, pass, try TB, or what-not, as long as they're on mixed.

But if they run into a really weak opp. on the fullback pos. I set them on RWB full. I never have them on crossing. Always NO crossing for wingers, and mixed for WB's... I want a short passing game, with attacks starting from the wings, working inwards...

Hi guys just an update on how my Barca is going. I have done one season so far and have had a clean sweep of everything. I signed in my first pre-season Pirlo and Barzagli. I started out with 4-3-3 with Valdes in goals, a back four of Abidal Barzagli Puyol and Zambrotta. In midfield there was Toure Deco and Pirlo. (I used Iniesta and Xavi for rotation) On the wings there was Messi and Ronaldinho and upfront I tried Eto'o first and used Henry sparingly as Eto'o ended up getting 56 goals in all competitions. In Jan window i signed Rafinha for R/b as Zambrotta kept getting injured and at the end of he season I signed Kaka when my budget was £139 million!!

How did u set eto'o up? 56 goals...so far in my game hes on pace for maybe 15icon_smile.gif Henry is tearing it up so its all good. Anybody have a nice young wing for back up? Im using henry right now, but thats not ideal. Also how wide is everybody playing? Im playing a short passing game, down the flanks with the width being set just after narrow. The problem is im not getting the world class performances that I would expect from two wings of there status. Messi is averaging 7.22 while ronnie a 7.56.

I bought Pirlo for £27 million. 10 up front and then 17 over 24 months. After winning the league, champions league and the spanish cup I received loads of cash plus with all the tv revenue I just adjusted my transfer budget and woohoo there it was £139 million. I just used the standard 4-3-3 attacking formation and only adjusted team instructions. Gave Ronaldinho a free role and everything just seemed to click.

my transfer budget was boosted to a staggering 150million pounds by the end of first season...

I play 3-5-2 so looking forward to offloading all the fullbacks soon(abidal, zamb)

have bought in:

raul aldoil(14mil pounds clause)

silva(62 mil pounds clause)

barzagli(12mil- super good)

ivan campo, riquleme, sorenson, kewell(free transfer)

tried to sign van persie...but even 50mil pounds wouldn't make arsenal flinch. damn.

anyway bojan improves by leaps and bounds in the first season. His father(same name) who's a scout in barcelona names his son as the best striker in barcelona even though the rest of the coaches/scouts believe that henry is the best. hah!

I never changed any player instructions except to give Ronaldinho a free role. Kaka has slotted into my team perfectly. Starting to stutter a little bit but once my injuries subside then I dare say I will have another successful season. I will keep you guys posted.

Just finished first season as Barca Won the league easily unbeaten all season 32 win 6 draws won spanish cup aswel dident do 2 good in champs league got beat of ac milan in quaters play 4-3-3 attacking with henry upfront as lone striker he scores loads so does eto as back-up. Bought Ever Benega and Zapata. Just satrtin 2nd season now sold toure for 15 m lookin 2 buy Cesc Fabregas and have got 150 m to spend

This is my team after first season:

GK Akinfeev/Valdes

DR Zaccardo/Richards

DC Puyol/Millito

DC Marquez/Richards

DL Zambrotta/Abidal

DM Pirlo/Veloso

MC Iniesta/Xavi

MC Deco/Xavi

AMR Silva/Messi

AML Ronaldinho/Dos Santos

FC Henry/Eto'o/Vela

Do you think i neede any improvements?

Ok my Barca team first season:

GK: Valdes/Jorjera

DR: Zaccardo/Zambrotta/Puyol

DL: Abidal/Zambrotta/Silvinho

DC: Puyol,Milito,Barzagli rotate

DM: Zapater/Markez

MC: Xavi/Yaya Toure

MC: Iniesta/Deco

AMR: Messi/Bojan

AML: Ronaldinho/Dos Santos

FC: Eto'o/Henry

I'm midway through the first season still in the Jan. transfer window. Just added Breno but I sent him on loan to my feeder club in France. I'm top of the La Liga 12 points ahead of Valencia and 16 points of Real M. Next stage of CL vs. PSV - on course for the treble so far. For the second season I plan on making one huge buy - either Cesc Fabregas or Aguero.

Originally posted by rune_star:

£139 million!!!

Jesus! That sounds crazy afterone season... Did you sell anybody to get that much?

i started the second season with 156 million to spend and i didnt sell anyone .

So far i have bought kaka for 60 million . Fabregas they won't go lower than 72 and ronaldo i cant get man utd lower than 98 . So i have decided to sit on the rest of my large stack of cash and maybe look again at xmas.

my team i played first season and managed to win league with and champions league (i was riding a lucky streak in the CL)

GK valdes

DR zambrotta

DL abidal

DC puyol

DC thuram/lucio (bought lucio at xmas)

MR messi

ML ronaldhino

MC dacourt/toure

MC inestia

AMC deco / xavi

FC henry / eto

Guest SolaPhides

I am about to finish my first season and it looks like im gonna win champions league and primera liga (lots o cash!). edmilson, sylvinho, thuram, jorquera's contracts are expiring and i also want to sell gudjhonsen and toure. i have already disposed of oleguer and i bought banega and lullinha. I don't have any budget left currently because of acquiring ustari for next season. My biggest worry is lack of cover for RB/RWB. I was looking towards buying Behrami but in my game, his current manager was quite disappointed with his performances (inconsistent??). can you guys suggest good players who can fill in?

my first season at barca i won league, champs league and spanish cup. With this team. New transfers in brackets.

GK valdes/zivkovic

DR zambrotta/(clerc)23 mio

DL abidal/(marcelo)5.5 mio

DC marquez/(pablo)f/t

DC millito/(moreno)2.5 mio 12month

MC iniesta/xavi/(mascherano)f/t

MC deco/toure

AML ronaldinho/(menez)10 mio 13 mio 12month

AMR messi/(aaritalo)50k

AMC eto/(nasri)10 mio 40 mio 24month

FC henry/(aguero) 33.5 mio m/r/c

also have saivet tearing up serie a for cagliari, dos santos in germany league 2 but regular games. also altidor, flamini, puyol, asulin spread around the world.

in the AMC eto won world player, euro player, euro striker (henry2ronaldinho3) and top spanish scorer euro scorer and spanish best player.

Just finished my first season with Barca. This is my first save with them and I really enjoyed it.

We won the league by 8 points and in the process went on a 45 game unbeaten run (all competitions).

League Table

48 Game Unbeaten Run (All Comps)

Also won the Champions League. We beat Real Madrid in the final but I ended up having one of themost difficult draws I have ever had playing on FM.

Group Stage - Stuttgart, Levski & PSV

1st Round - AC Milan

Quarter Final - Man Utd

Semi Final - Arsenal

Final - Real Madrid

I din't half ride my luck on the way to the final either. Last minute goals against Man Utd and in the final against Real Madrid made sure that my name was on the Cup (Man U in 99 anyone)

My Squad was:

GK - Valdes / Jorquera

RB - Rafinha / Zambrotta

LB - Abidal / Zambrotta

CB - Puyol / Breno

CB - Thuram / Milito

CM - Deco / Iniesta

CM - Xavi / Dos Santos

DM - Toure / Edmilson / Marquez / Banega

FR - Messi / Gudjhonson

FL - Ronaldinho / Henry

SC - Henry / Eto'o / Bojan

As you can see we play a 4-3-3 with the wingers pushed right up front to make it more like a 3 pronged strike attack. One of the reasons for this is that on some of my previos saves this system, when played with wide AM's, sort of islates the striker and with either Henry, Bojan or Eto'o up front I didn't want to isolate them as this isn't their game. This has worked for me even though most of the time we haven't had the lion's share of possession but we have still scored goals for fun.

My middle CM has a b-arrow and becomes as DM when we don't have the ball. Defensively this has worked a treat as we also had one of the best defensive records in the league.

I feel that in the summer I need to look at getting in a LWB possibly Guardado???? I haven't signed him on FM08 yet has anybody had any experince of him? I am also looking at another keeper possibly Ustari or Akinfeev.

I was looking at getting in another striker as I didn't think Bojan was ready for first team football. Rotating Henry and Eto'o was fine untill the latter went away for the African Nations Cup and then I was left with Henry. But towards the back end of the season Bojan improved out of sight and started to become the player I thought it would take a couple of seasons to be.

In the summer I am looking to offload Gudjohnson (Not really played), Thuram (Age / Contract), Ezquerro (Not played)& Jorquera (Not Played).

I'm also looking forward to developing some of the youngsters such as Oier Olazabal (C Team Keeper), Thiago, Dos Santos (well impressed with him in limited appearances), Bojan, Benega and Breno.

My only complaint (and this is about the game in general) is the Board Confidence. I won the league and Champions League yet they still aren't happy about my Semi Final exit from the Spanish Cup and also the 3-2 defeat away at Sevilla that ended my unbeaten run. They keep reminding me about this every month and it annoys me because I feel they should be concentrating on what I've won!! Ah well!

Thanks m-owen

Tried to get Marcelo but he recently signed a new contract and his release clause has gone up to £28M

I ended up getting:

Hugo Lloris £11.25M

Cristiano Ronaldo £68M

Fernando Belluschi £9.75M

Andres Guardado £24.5M

Sergio Aguero £34M

A really heavy summer spending spree!!!

I needed it though as in the season before I had Ronaldinho and Messi playing over 50 games each and that was with suspensions and injuries so I want to have quality players that I can rotate in aswell as the youngsters.

In my game, beginning of 2nd season, I just got Fabregas and Cristiano Ronaldo, but at the price of selling Ronaldinho. Pretty soon I'm going to sell Henry too. I'm telling you, play Dos Santos and Bojan more often. It's sick how good they are and how much they improve! Iago is also developing as a decent back-up.

My current line-up aka Dream Team:

GK Valdes

DR Zaccardo

DL Abidal

DC Puyol

DC Barzagli

DM Iniesta

MC Xavi

MC Fabregas

AMR Messi

AML C.Ronaldo

FC Eto'o

Most used subs:

Zambrotta, Milito, Zapater, Deco, Dos Santos and Bojan

Just finished 2nd season and won league again and won the champions league aswel beat real madrid 5-0 in final.Just bought aguero and richards and gona change my tactics from 4-3-3 to 4-3-1-2 and see how that goes heres my team

GK Valdes (Felipe)

DR Richards (Zambrotta)

DL Abidal

DC Puyol (Milito)

DC Zapata (Marquez)

MC Fabregas (Xavi)

MC Benega (Iniesta)

MC Messi (Deco)

FC Henry (Bojan)

FC Eto (Aguero)

Originally posted by andywoods:

what type of 3-5-2 did you play please YCH?

I play 3 DCs, 1 Dm, 4 Midfield, 2 forwards.

3-1-4-2.

Bojan and Henri Saivet are frighteningly good by the 4th season. Total class.

Originally posted by yonko:

Well, I started new game and adjusted the budget. The max was at 72 mil. US dollars so I took it. I bought Zaccardo(DRC)-20M, Lorik Cana(DM)-13,5M, Derek Boateng(MC)-1,1M and Belluschi(AMRC)-18M.

I'm just before my first of four frendlies. My planned starting line-up:

GK-Valdez

DR-Zambrotta

DL-Abidal

DCR-Zaccardo (until Puyol gets back)

DCL-Millito

DM-Cana

MCR-Iniesta/Deco

MCL-Xavi/Deco

AMR-MESSI(DONNA) the GOD

AML-Ronni

FC-Eto'o/Henry

I'll report later when I've played a little bit more.BTW, I can't wait for the full release so I can start proper game with Barca. There are some young gems like Breno and Menez that I would buy. Also interested to see how Giovanni and Bojan would develop!

Adios amigos!

dude cana comes for free after the first season...haha

Just finished my 1st season winning the league and champions league.

Sold Marquez, Edmilson, Ezquerro, Gudjohnson and Deco in preseason. Brought Mertsacker, Pandev, Veloso and that Finnish winger.

Got silvestri (Lazio fb) and Mascherano coming in on bosmans, also Albiol and Jesus Navas for £10.5m each after they signed new contracts there release clause became lower. Trying to get Dani Alves but missed out on Martinez (Bilbao wonderkid) who went to Valencia icon_frown.gif.

Best player by far was Henry scored goals after goals.

10312007143707ak0.th.jpg

Just made some January 2009 transfer deal.

Bought In:

Albiol, Lahm, Torres, Breno (return from loan)

Sold out:

Millito, Zambrotta, Deco, Eto'o

Line-up:

GK Valdes

DR Puyol/Zaccardo

DL Lahm/Abidal

DC Albiol/Breno

DC Barzagli/Breno

MC Xavi/Zapater

MRC Fabregas/Toure

MLC Iniesta/Xavi

AMRC Messi/Dos Santos

AMLC C.Ronaldo/Dos Santos

FC Torres/Bojan

My next transfer targets are Sergio Ramos (Puyol replacement), Martinez and Aguero icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

Archived