Stupid Fans

So I've got a top young goalkeeper who states he will leave the club on a Bosman at the end of the season so won't renew his contract. Rather than see him go for nothing, I accept a bid for his current worth + sell on clause 6 months before contract end.

Now the fans are angry that I've let him go. They should be thankful that I've made the club a fair wedge of needed cash as he was leaving anyway.

One name - Jermaine Beckford.

We're fans, why should we care about the cash, we don't see any of it. We pay our good money to see a good football team, a football team, not a business. So for the others on this thread, who're quite clearly football 'fans', stop being so smug.

One name - Jermaine Beckford.

We're fans, why should we care about the cash, we don't see any of it. We pay our good money to see a good football team, a football team, not a business. So for the others on this thread, who're quite clearly football 'fans', stop being so smug.

You sum up the term 'stupid fan'.

You'd rather see him got for nothing instead of a bit of money that could have been put towards a replacement?

You'd rather see him got for nothing instead of a bit of money that could have been put towards a replacement?

Look at his example of Jermaine Beckford again. What would you rather do; keep a striker for the last 6 months of his contract even though he will leave for free, in the hope that his goals will get you into the next division; or a bit of money and taking the risk of getting promoted or not?

Give over. I sum up the term 'passionate supporter', I support my club, I don't see the money - it doesn't affect me, I want to see the best possible team I can at Leeds. If we'd have sold Beckford in January, we'd have received what? £1m? Who would Leeds have got who anywhere near as talented as Beckford for £1m?! We kept him, we beat scum in the FA Cup, drew with Spurs and won promotion - all goals in those games coming from Beckford (minus Howson vs Brizzle Rovers) - I felt we had a chance of keeping Beckford, but Bates wouldn't offer him what he wanted. So yes, I'm glad Beckford went for nothing, and won us promotion. Bugger to the cash, I'll take promotion, thank you.

@ Stelmf: His point is that a team can't always be run solely on the bottom line. There are intangible benefits to making "bad" business decisions.

The case he cites is Jermaine Beckford, who scored 25 league goals for Leeds this last season, and scored the goal against Man U that put them out of the FA Cup. Had he been traded away in December as he requested, which probably would have saved the club a fair amount of cash, it's likely Leeds would have had to go through the playoffs to try for promotion, instead of going through as second place team automatically, and they wouldn't have had the benefit of the 4th round games against Tottenham (Beckford secured the need for the Elland Road replay, btw) in the Cup.

So, in the long run, the seemingly intelligent business decision might have cost the team more. As a fan, you obviously don't want your team run by a bunch of professional cock-ups (see: Portsmouth), but you don't want them obsessing over the bottom line, either.

Of course, there ARE stupid fans, too (see: Philadelphia). ;)

On stupid fans, the thing that bothers me is the supported feedback thing you get after every game.

If Rooney plays badly, the fans say you should have picked Peter Stinkby or whoever from your reserves. Despite the fact that Rooney has scored 32 goals in 30 games and has 20 MoM awards.

On stupid fans, the thing that bothers me is the supported feedback thing you get after every game.

If Rooney plays badly, the fans say you should have picked Peter Stinkby or whoever from your reserves. Despite the fact that Rooney has scored 32 goals in 30 games and has 20 MoM awards.

Was just going to post the exact same thing, where its more like you should have picked someone that is off form instead of an in form player - idiots, in the end they arent running the club you are!!

EddieGray11: Are you sure you don't see the money the club gets for a player? Surely it goes towards running costs, to make sure there's still a club for you to support. And tbh Leeds of all clubs should be only too aware of what happens if and when the money runs out. So on that I'd say you're wrong.

On the other hand, you're also right: Sell Beckford for a million (and tbh I can't believe the likes of Newcastle had a look and had to think about it) and maybe miss out on promotion - would Beckford's replacement, probably someone already at the club, have been in the position to get the goals he did?

Or, wait, knowing he'll leave on a free but safe in the knowledge that if he scores the goals that take the club up, promotion is worth a hell of a lot more than the million the transfer would have generated.

As for Bates not paying what the player wanted...there was too much of that in Leeds' recent past, and tbh the demand from Beckford was probably one he knew the club would never choose to afford: the player wanted to move on, the 'I'll sign for this' figure was just a bit of tokenism.

Anyway, are the fans stupid?

On FM, they certainly can be. I started unemployed and got a job in Brazil (3rd division) with Palmas. I had three games left in the season, but in reality I had ONE GAME to save the club from relegation and NO senior players - all I had was greys and the few U-20s at the club. We lost 2-0 to the 2nd placed team and went down. The fans were gutted. The board (also stupid) let me rebuild the squad - I thought I'd be OK because they at least had the State Championships. Of course, at the end of the season (December) I was sacked, thanks to dropping out of the lowest league (something to look at there, perhaps, because as I say, there was still the state championship to compete in).

A newly-promoted team, Bragantino (PA), gave me the job. We were favourites for relegation but I moulded the team and went through the group stage unbeaten, before losing in the second round. The fans were upset at losing the first leg 3-1 away to a team who were, in truth, superior in every way. I ignored them.

In the state championship in the next season, I went through the qualifying group unbeaten again. I then take the team through the first 9 of 14 games without defeat, including a 3-0 victory over Paysandu (1st Division, on my game). Then tiredness and nerves set in. I lose 1-0 away to Paysandu thanks to a pen. The fans are 'extremely disappointed' with the defeat, despite my side still being rated as next to nothing in Div 3 and then being newly-promoted to the 1st. I draw away, though we're unlucky not to win (crossbar challenge time). The fans are, again, disappointed. A home win seems OK but then another away defeat, to the side in second who are bang in-form, another 1-0 job deep into added time, and the fans are upset again.

I just know that if I lose the title on the final game of the season, the fans are going to go mental - even though the target at the start was to try to be competitive and hope we could nick 4th and avoid the qualifying group next season.

Of course, IRL (and sometimes in FM), it's not just the fans that can be stupid on occasion, but the owners/board.

Heh, I had a good one like that recently. After winning a match 2-0, the fans said that they thought some the players who started (I forget who excatly) the match were doing well and rightly keeping others, such as Gignac, on the bench. Which is funny, cos not only was Gignac my leading scorer who I'd rested for that game, but the only reason we won is because, at 0-0, he came off the bench to get two excellent assists...

Archived