Is there any slow developers...like Ian Wright, Ferdinand, McAteer etc

Am I correct in saying that you have a fair idea how good a player will become by looking at their stats at the age of 18/19.

Is there not any circumstances where you have a pig of a player at the age of 19/20 who suddenly becomes Premiership/World Class when 28 or so... (not all top players were so good when they were 18)

goalkeepers tend to slowly keep improving somewhat even after 21, most outfield players do most of their growth before their 22nd birthday but may, occasionally slowly improve after that, there aren't really many players that massively improve past age 22 I feel. Really though, 21 is the age you judge a player and decide if he's on track or if he's not going to make it.

I think its a shame there arent more players who see some drastic improvement around the ages of 27. I mean it doesnt happen that often in real life, but it would be nice to see the odd late bloomer in game.

Diego Forlan anyone? :)

I wouldn't say so. I'd say it's a case of not adapting too well to the Premiership, and flourishing in La Liga.

Shevchenko for example. Flourished in Serie A but flopped in the Premiership.

He's surely still a good example of a 'late-bloomer'? He was about about 27 when he made it to the Premier League for the first time, and ended up getting into the England squad at one point.

He's still Premier League class when fit, even if that is seemingly less often as the years go by..

SI introduced new "development curves" for either FM2010 or FM09.

Which Ferdinand would that be? Because Les was always a great goalscorer, and Rio was England's youngest ever defender and the best defender in the world at the age of 23. Anton is the complete opposite...

What development curves would those be? Because according to this thread, 95% of players reach their maximum potential at the age of 21.

Firstly, I don't know exactly, I don't work for SI.

Secondly, that thread shows no overall trend, merely a mass of data and individual player's progression.

Thirdly, most of the players there keep progressing until the age of about 26, and never reach their potential.

Archived