New rule - Serie A sides get second foreigner

The Federal Council has given the green light for Italian sides to have more than one non-EU player in their squad.

Italian clubs have struggled to compete with their European neighbours in recent years, as they have been allowed no more than one player with non-EU status.

In Spain, clubs may have three and in France four, whereas the Bundesliga demands that German sides have at least eight homegrown players in their squad.

The change in Italy could render Serie A sides more active in the market and could see new players become targets.

“The law has passed,†explained Italian Coaches Association head Renzo Ulivieri [pictured]. “New talent can now arrive in Italy to reinforce our squads.â€

For 2008-09, the rule will apply to Serie A sides who have “the possibility of signing two non-EU players where at least one is to replace a non-EU player who has become a free agent or moved abroad.â€

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul3o.html

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this news but the italian data forum seems dead. icon_frown.gif

Hope the rule will be in FM09.

Originally posted by vasilli07:

The Federal Council has given the green light for Italian sides to have more than one non-EU player in their squad.

Italian clubs have struggled to compete with their European neighbours in recent years, as they have been allowed no more than one player with non-EU status.

In Spain, clubs may have three and in France four, whereas the Bundesliga demands that German sides have at least eight homegrown players in their squad.

The change in Italy could render Serie A sides more active in the market and could see new players become targets.

“The law has passed,†explained Italian Coaches Association head Renzo Ulivieri [pictured]. “New talent can now arrive in Italy to reinforce our squads.â€

For 2008-09, the rule will apply to Serie A sides who have “the possibility of signing two non-EU players where at least one is to replace a non-EU player who has become a free agent or moved abroad.â€

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul3o.html

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this news but the italian data forum seems dead. icon_frown.gif

Hope the rule will be in FM09.

It should be! SI will definitely look into this!

I thought they were already allowed to have more than one as long as they didn't go over the total amount allowed by the league which I believe was 60 for the whole league. I think you mean that they are now allowed to sign more than one from south america per season whereas they were previously one allowed one per season.

I looked at the AC Milan squad (using the 8.0.2 database) and they currently have 6 Brazilians in their squad at the start of the game.

Originally posted by trekman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The Federal Council has given the green light for Italian sides to have more than one non-EU player in their squad.

I thought they were already allowed to have more than one as long as they didn't go over the total amount allowed by the league which I believe was 60 for the whole league. I think you mean that they are now allowed to sign more than one from south america per season whereas they were previously one allowed one per season.

I looked at the AC Milan squad (using the 8.0.2 database) and they currently have 6 Brazilians in their squad at the start of the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AFAIK the current ruling is that you can sign one foreigner per season. Its not a ruling that says one foreigner per squad. So essentially you could have 11 foreigners in your team, but it would take you 11 years to do so.

• SI Staff

I doubt you would be able to change it in the editor. It's more likely something that is part of the competition rules which are unfortunately not customisable.

wow

i will love to play my lovely cesena again in fm2009. 2 brazilian or argentian kids to sign each year will double my good players icon_smile.gif

this is a rule wich have hold back italian clubs in euro competions, altough it will weaken the italian national team in the long run i think.

just look at the pathetic england national team wich considers it self as best team and leauge in the world but couldnt even qulify for euro2008,while teams like shweitzerland,austria,greece,poland was there haha

Originally posted by kennec:

wow

i will love to play my lovely cesena again in fm2009. 2 brazilian or argentian kids to sign each year will double my good players icon_smile.gif

this is a rule wich have hold back italian clubs in euro competions, altough it will weaken the italian national team in the long run i think.

just look at the pathetic england national team wich considers it self as best team and leauge in the world but couldnt even qulify for euro2008,while teams like shweitzerland,austria,greece,poland was there haha

They hosted it. They were there automatically.

Originally posted by kennec:

i think in fm 2009 polish and greece players should be alot better then english ones.

Individually I think English players are top draw. Maybe it's the Greece and Polish managers that should be better than McClaren?

Indeed. Gerrard and Ferdiand are amoung the best in their positions. Poland and Greece have no one near their level. In fact, other than Boruc none of their players would make our squad.

Anyway, get back to the topic.

Archived