What do you prefer? Good, Bad and the Ugly :)

Hey all

Just wondering in general what people prefer to start off with on FM

Do peeps like to start with the BIG clubs with bags of money to buy whoever they want and dominate world football for years?

Or sleeping giants, i.e. Leeds, Everton, Sheff Wed, Notts Forest and build themselves up over time with only small budgets and have to be very careful in the transfer market then try and dominate

Or do they like starting off with clubs like Torquay, Exeter with no money at all and go for a five year premiership plan

I started with Leeds and had great fun with that save, I still play it from time to time but I eventually started one up with Celtic seeing as I support them. Yes it's boring after a while but I still play on

Thats the thing, if you choose a club that has the best players in that league and bags of money it draws away the scouting and picking up a gem in the transfer market as you already have the best and even if you didnt then you would go and buy Gerrard or Lampard, etc

I do none of them. I start unemployed (varying experience, depending how low I want to start) and then holiday 'til I get what I deem a decent challenge. There's nothing like being a saviour to a club in relegation battle, before tidying up and pushing for promotion the next season. usually leads to a better club and better things..

Loyalty? What's that?

First game in any new FM is with the team I support, though, to get used to the new features. After that, I rarely manage the team I support.

I'm currently on one of my favourite save's to date, taking my team Grimsby to the EPL. I'm currently top of the Championship in my fifth season which I don't think is too shabby. I think taking a team from the lower leagues with no money to the lucrative heights of the EPL is always exciting. Much for fulfilling than starting as Man City and buying everything and then almost inevitably winning everything.

Its especially nice since we recently got relegated to the BSP in real life :)

I do none of them. I start unemployed (varying experience, depending how low I want to start) and then holiday 'til I get what I deem a decent challenge. There's nothing like being a saviour to a club in relegation battle, before tidying up and pushing for promotion the next season. usually leads to a better club and better things..

Loyalty? What's that?

First game in any new FM is with the team I support, though, to get used to the new features. After that, I rarely manage the team I support.

I've just started an unemployed game, with automatic rep. Ended up in Iceland, with a team I don't remember the name of. Not sure how long it might last, but I bet not very long.

Not sure tbh, I usually go with my home team, St. Johnstone and if I need a new challenge start unemployed, totaly agree with Omnipherous, nothing like coming into a new team and saving the day!

I am 5 seasons in and started in Northern Irelands football basement as Sport & Leisure, I was told by my board to pretty much turn up and attempt to avoid relegation. End of season 1 I saved them by 1 point and quit, season 2 landed me in South Africas First Division Coastal with Bay Utd, came second lost the play offs. Season 3 saw us win the league and reach the SAPL. Season 4 I quit and went to Weymouth because we were struggling, I took Weymouth in March, they wer 21st in the BSS, I saved them easily then left. Season 5 I joined newly promoted to the BSS Sutton Utd and lost my first 4 games by 4 goals each and quit. Joined Staleybridge Celtic in September when they were 20th in the BSN and have so far got them out of the relegation zone but my empire that I want to build for them has not yet got planning permission and am stuck in 18th.

I like to manage crappy sides but must be at least in top 2 divisions...lower level football makes me cry.

I am managing Napoli at the moment in a new save - only signing Italian internationals.

I have Quagliarella, Balotelli and Rossi up front. I do not know why, but Quagliarella and Rossi don't seem to get along. :p

I like to start unemployed with various past experience, means I have a lot of variation. Never managed a german club though so just started a new game as Leverkusen, is fun so far, pretty competitive league, half way through and 5 points separate the top 6 which is Stuttgart, leverkusen (me), Wolfsburg, fc bayern & hannover.

Trying to play with only german players but couldn't offload enough at the start of the season so still got barnetta playing.

I tend to go for smaller sleeping giants; in 08 and 09 I started at Stevenage (who until this season had been in the Conference for ever but not gone up), weirdly both years went virtually the same, took them to the Championship in four seasons, left because they wouldn't give me enough money to stay up or at least spend the promotion dividend expanding the ground, got a job with a mid-sized Midlands club (Stoke in 08, Leicester in 09) and took them to the title.

Until this year I'd never gone with my own club, but in 10 I started at Gloucester (my hometown club, as they've never been in the game before), took them from BSN to League 2 in four years, then took the Crystal Palace job (being the club I support)

I like starting off with a massive club like Barcelona or someone of that ilk. Amass a number of trophies, become recognised as world class, and only then does the fun start. I either turn into a Gus Hiddink, a world class nomad manager who jumps from club to club (or nation to nation) seemingly quickly, or I drop down to a struggling club and become it's saviour. Kinda like Jose Mourinho going from winning the CL with Madrid to no-hopers with no trophy in ages (Leeds, Newcastle, Southampton, etc).

And if it works out, I'll go back to a big club again later down the line.

I tend to start off a game with Celtic (my team), then do the Dafuge Challenge, then move onto something else. For FM10 it's been an unemployed game that's kept me going. So far have managed Stirling, USA, Blackpool, Viborg, Portsmouth (still with them), Ivory Coast and Czech Republic(just took them on).

I enjoy the wheeling and dealing of building up a team who are struggling. I think I'm a secret lovechild of Harry Redknapp's actually...

I like the teams that can compete domestically, especially with a few good signings, but really have no chance in Europe, at first. Usually teams with one or two star players are a plus. Bordeaux, Fiorentina, At. Madrid, and Ajax have been some of my best saves.

I always play atleast one save with the team i suport (AS Roma), sometimes i play a short saves to test a tactic, I also thend to play a save in the swedish lower divisions (on fm10 as my home town team Falu FK), and well.....one just have to play Athletic, wining silver ware with them is by far one of the hardest challanges on the game

Wouldn't touch a big club with a bargepole, at least at the start of the game. I will sign and progress my career if the offer comes in during the game though, unless it's something way unrealistic or a club I dislike irl.

I used to have Celtic saves each version until 09 for the sake of tradition, but the last one only lasted for 6 league games. :/

I generally start at the bottom somewhere, achieve some success, then, when a higher level club approaches me, move on, stay a that club for a few years until another higher level one chases me and so on. I only really stick with a club for more than a couple of years once I'm in a position to challenge for top honours. I try to make a kinda plausible career.

Archived