Are Preferred Moves useful?

I'm wondering if Preferred Moves is there just for individuality purposes or do they actually mean something to the game engine?

Let's say I have 2 identical strikers in terms of stats and physique.. but 1 striker has stuff like "Places Shots" and "Cuts Inside". Will these make him a better striker?

Preferred moves allows you to judge how you want that player to play.

Does not mean he is better but if you play to his strengths he will hopefully perform better.

Of course that means you need to make sure your tactics fit his moves or more likely his moves fit your tactics.

Well that's what I think how you can use preferred moves.

K icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by coldcell:

I'm wondering if Preferred Moves is there just for individuality purposes or do they actually mean something to the game engine?

Let's say I have 2 identical strikers in terms of stats and physique.. but 1 striker has stuff like "Places Shots" and "Cuts Inside". Will these make him a better striker?

I don't tend to take much notice of them unless there's something I can specifically change in my tactics.

If a player likes to "shoot from range" then I'll make him do so.

Some of them are hard to work into your tactics really.

Certain PPMs are better-suited than others to certain styles of play. I like my wingers to cut inside, especially if they're somewhat good with their weaker foot, so "Cuts Inside" goes quite well with my play style. I also like the central midfielders to play short-mixed passing, so the PPM for preferring to make short passes also fits in well. As for "Shoots Long" I've found it's more of a hassle than anything else-- no one below 15 or 16 in Long Shots should really be trying to tee up a shot from outside the box, so when you have players with <10 Long Shots that have that PPM, it's never a good thing.

Certain PPMs will make a player more likely to try to dribble past a player-- runs down left/middle/right, and "Tries Tricks" generally result in players making more runs.

There's some I steer clear of (dwells on ball, of course), but I generally don't find they make a huge amount of difference.

I'm fairly sure that of the two similar PPMs, "Stops Play" and "Dwells on Ball," the former is the more negative one, while the latter is the more positive one you might expect to find in a playmaker. I'd definitely steer clear of "Stops Play" though.

Originally posted by pelicanstuff:

There's some I steer clear of (dwells on ball, of course), but I generally don't find they make a huge amount of difference.

I thought that dwells on ball was good for a player who is is given the tactical instruction to Hold the ball or whatever it is.

Run like mad from players with "tries long shots" if you don't want them to try long shots at all... because they will, regardless of what you tell them to do.

I've had a striker on 07 ruining my whole tactics because instead of running to the goal he'd simply shoot the ball all the way to the stand every other opportunity he got.

Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

I don't tend to take much notice of them unless there's something I can specifically change in my tactics.

Same here, although i'd go further and say that if a player has 20 for long shots then he is going to try them and be given long shot tactics whether it's a PPM or not.

The only one I ever really notice is, "knocks ball past player" (or something along those lines), which works well with a pacey winger.

Originally posted by Brend:

Certain PPMs are better-suited than others to certain styles of play. I like my wingers to cut inside, especially if they're somewhat good with their weaker foot, so "Cuts Inside" goes quite well with my play style. I also like the central midfielders to play short-mixed passing, so the PPM for preferring to make short passes also fits in well. As for "Shoots Long" I've found it's more of a hassle than anything else-- no one below 15 or 16 in Long Shots should really be trying to tee up a shot from outside the box, so when you have players with <10 Long Shots that have that PPM, it's never a good thing.

Certain PPMs will make a player more likely to try to dribble past a player-- runs down left/middle/right, and "Tries Tricks" generally result in players making more runs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There's some I steer clear of (dwells on ball, of course), but I generally don't find they make a huge amount of difference.

I'm fairly sure that of the two similar PPMs, "Stops Play" and "Dwells on Ball," the former is the more negative one, while the latter is the more positive one you might expect to find in a playmaker. I'd definitely steer clear of "Stops Play" though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Generally I seem to find that defenders are more likely to have 'dwells on ball', which I really *don't* want. I always assumed that 'stops play' would be a case of your creative midfielder putting his foot on the ball, looking up, and spotting a killer pass, whereas 'dwells on ball' would be somebody not offloading it quickly due to indecision.

I could be wrong of course.

Originally posted by dwood:

pelicanstuff that link you posted is really good i have been looking for something like that for ages. i play fm06 and i have some players who have many ppm eg 4 whats the most ppm anyone has seen?

On one FM version, I seem to remember Orlando Engelaar had about 15!

Originally posted by dwood:

pelicanstuff that link you posted is really good i have been looking for something like that for ages. i play fm06 and i have some players who have many ppm eg 4 whats the most ppm anyone has seen?

I'm making sure that the academy lads I get in and keep are constantly tutored. If I pair them with senior players who have a good number of PPM already, and who pass them onto the kids, in a few seasons I'm expecting to get certain youngsters with up to 30 PPMs!

Archived