Why does the match engine waste so much time?

Essentially FM doesnt play a proper 90 minutes of football.

Now I know that real life games tend to average about 60 mins of ball in play but FM goes far beyond this. Corners regularly take up to 50 seconds to take, as the ball is thrown away from the taker, players nearby dont give it to the taker and the taker walks very slowly to the ball.

The same occurs with goalkicks and throw ins, and to some extent free kicks. Shame there isnt a ball in play stat as I would expect this to be shockingly out of touch with real life football.

Cmon SI do you think we are fooled by this very transparent way of avoiding creating a real game of football?

Its even worse when you consider that in many games you get ridiculous amounts of goal attempts, as well as normal amounts of corners and throw-in. Watching a full game shows how poor the ME in as the game basically consists of goal attempts, there is no ebb and flow in the middle of the park. I

Also why when chasing a game do players not hurry to take corners or throw ins? A goal down in injury time and players walk slowly to take throw ins or corners etc- even passing the ball back to the keeper rather than get the ball forward.

FM looks fine when playing on highlights but simply doesnt stand up if you take time to watch a full game.

I watch every game in full and I've got to say that overall I am impressed. I agree that some corners, free kicks and throws do take some time to happen but I don't think it's quite as bad as you make out.

Cmon SI do you think we are fooled by this very transparent way of avoiding creating a real game of football?

I think you're speaking for yourself there, so why put 'we'? I certainly don't think they're trying to fool anyone.

If SI do create a real game of football maybe Pro Footballers will be out of a job :)

I think you have to remember this is a game and can only create a % of real life. The AI controls the rest and wil always do the enexpected sometimes like 50yrd goal or £100m transfer. Overall you wont find much better :)

The OP does have a point in terms of the HUGE waste of time that the ME foists on the players in terms of set pieces taking.

I know SI has tried to cut down the amount of time shown getting ready to take the set piece,

but it's just not fun gameplay to waste 5 to 10 seconds at EVERY corner/goal kick

(esp. if there are >10 corners per game, which happens frequently if you play with wingers).

I've taken to manually increase the display speed to speed up the process, which is mighty tedious.

I hate it when it's the 92nd minute and there's 3 minutes of added on time.

I have set it to Overload and then my keeper takes a minute to take a goal kick.

What's he waiting for?

It can a be a bit slow when you need the time to score. But on the other hand, you don't mind when the role is reversed and it goes to your advantage :D

I know SI has tried to cut down the amount of time shown getting ready to take the set piece, but it's just not fun gameplay to waste 5 to 10 seconds at EVERY corner/goal kick

I wish that players in real life only took 5-10 seconds to take a corner/goal kick.

When the ball goes out of play, it should appear at the spot where the kick is going to be taken by magic. The players should "snap" into their next position (i.e. no waiting for defenders to get forward). Once all players are forward, then we're shown the players escaping their markers (or not) and the ball into the box.

Archived