Player Fitness Levels

I have a problem with my players' fitness levels.

I originally posted this in the Tactics/Training Forum, but I was told there was nothing wrong with my training, so I'm posting it here in case there's something else that needs changing.

The problem is my players take too long to get back up to 100% fitness after playing a match. The "fast" ones take 6 days, the slow ones take 8 days. This hurts my teams a lot. I have a "weekend" eleven and a completely different "midweek" eleven (plus backups), and still my players aren't 100% for the start of every game!

All my coaches have 4 to 5 stars, and I am using the SFraser training schedules. I have also used the Tug's Training in the past, same thing.

As a test, I ran a season where I recovered all my (uninjured) players to 100% before each game, using FMRTE. The difference was spectacular - instead of battling for the title, I won the Premiership by over 20 points. I'm not asking for this - I understand I will need to use some squad rotation, that's fine. But the current situation is just too bad.

Bottom line - I need to get my players to recover their fitness faster. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

try playing with a slower tempo and a bit less width your probably asking to much of your players. and if your players stamina rating or natural fitness ratings are poor try and buy some players with good physical ratings :thup:

Ever since 10.3, or was it 10.2, its much tougher for player fitness to be 100% before the start of every match. Which is more realistic actually. What I always do is, I ask them to 'take a breather' whenever I'm 3 goals up. I also tweak my tactics according to the weather. Player fitness drops really fast in bad weather, so maybe thats why your players turn red too fast. You are asking them to play high tempo in poor conditions.

But I'm also not adverse to starting a player who has only 91% fitness, just as long as it shows 'match fit' on his status. I never play any 'tired' players though. I've noticed that 91% seems to be the threshold. Some players are tired at 91%, but some are still match fit at 91%. But below that, everyone's tired.

I agree with the tempo, width, and 'take a breather' tips. Also, playing a high defensive line will cause your players to tire more quickly because they will be chasing down opposition strikers further; same goes for high pressing (but obviously facing the other way on the pitch). Playing in the CocaCola Championship, I find that I need to rest most players after a match unless it's one week or more until our next one.

Rotation is a big player aswell. It will be fine for a while with your players playing 2-3 times a week but eventually it will take time.

Try to slow the game down and control it. Keep the ball and make them work for it, especially against weaker teams.

Pitch size might be relevant. If you're playing high tempo, try a smaller pitch so your players don't have to run so much!

If it's a huge problem, perhaps try resting players after games for a day or two rather than putting them back into training. It's a bit of a pain having to constantly change their schedules though.

Agree with all of the above advice.

all of the above are good suggestions.

You may have to tweak the training schedule: not too heavy, (if players get hurt on training, it is too heavy), have aerobics close to high.

Important: give a 1 day rest the day before each game (click it before the press interview). I do this with good results.

Enjoy...

As mentioned, how are the training schedules? And/or the rating for Aerobic and Strength training? Also players who are Match Fit/Fully Fit/In Superb Condition will recover faster than those in other states. Sometimes you have to make the call to pull them off even before their fitness drops to any level, or conversely, stick them on when they aren't at full fitness (near the end of games, etc) to help them along.

As a general guideline, here's what I do to maintain squad fitness, not neither ANY custom training schedules nor the suggestion of intense physical training in pre-season

Players who tend to tire quickly and/or take a long time to recover

- I almost always don't keep them around, simply because I personally don't like the idea of a player who is hardly fit (slave-driver manager, yes).

- For those I do keep (for whatever reason), I tend to take care of them more by either bringing them on instead of starting a game (only when you need them, etc) or reducing closing down if your tactics permit

- Older players fall under this category too, and I try to use them sparingly, and also allow them to play in Reserve games to keep up their fitness from time to time.

Players with high levels of fitness

- Hooray! No worries here, right? Nah. The problem here is that you might get too dependent on them and they'll get jaded or just plain tired. Quality ones will also travel more due to internationals, which doesn't help. Remember to rest them when you can, like that second leg tie against a team two divisions lower than you at home.

Players with average fitness levels

- Same as above, but in some ways I tend to use them MORE than the ones with awesome levels, simply because you tend to have more of them to spare...

Players recovering from injury

- Key here in most cases in patience. A player coming back from a layoff may take a long time to regain a decent level of fitness. For example, Rafael cracks his skull, and while he's got good ratings in terms of physical attributes, it will still take some time. Let him play reserve games, stick him on the bench and bring him on for 15 minutes when the result is secure, and after a bit he'll be fine.

Something I've noticed, at least in older games, is that sometimes giving players off days may be detrimental. I remember in an older version you could click "Rest After Match Day", and I actually found that it was bad. I rationalize it by telling myself that the players slack off and such, but it may be a bug, for all I know. I just don't do that (rest them after games), be it with Man Utd, Darlington or Woodlands Wellington.

Hope this helps.

Archived