European Glory outside the top flight?

Just had a thought, has anyone won a europen club, most probs the europa league, whilst managing a club from outside the top flight??

Not on FM2010, but on CM4 where things were considerably easier, i did once win the UEFA Cup in the English Conference.

Won FA Cup 1st season, deliberately stayed down, won UEFA cup following season against Parma 3-2 aet after going 2-0 down with less than 30 mins to play :eek:

In my current save, I am in 10/11 season and after coming runners up to Arsenal in the Fa cup Wolves got into the Europa league and have been doing good as we are in February and they qualified for the group stages and also they have gone through the group stages.

He meant without cheating.

So i suppose everyone else who has replied to the thread has also cheated too since they werent in the top flight either.

Seems that some people will never believe that anyone can do anything without cheating to do it :thdn:

I suppose I cheat just by playing because living in Ukraine, it isn't available here to buy or on steam. So my brother who does live in england bought it and posted it over. So technically, by playing in a country where i am not able to even buy/steam the game by any means (and it cant be sent over via amazon etc either) then i am cheating just by playing :D since i arent even meant to be playing at all

He meant without cheating.
speople arguing again???

I think it was meant light heartedly to be fair - the cheating remark that is :eek:

well there wasn't a wink or anything, just a statement that seemed to be pretty blunt really.

Yeah i know that - i meant as a whole the thread is pretty light hearted.

Probably a bit hasty to drag up the presumption that people would think you a cheat because you dont have direct access to the game and so on..........

As a lot of us scousers say......... calm down, calm down. :D

As much as I want to believe in everyone's honesty, you'll have to admit it's kinda hard thinking of a Conference side winning the FA Cup and the UEFA Cup just on sheer tactical genius and/or luck.

I mean, anyone who has tried his luck with clubs from outside the Top-Flight leagues knows how difficult is making it to the later stages of an European Cup...

How could a Conference side, where a couple of attributes in the double-digit region are a luxury, make it all the way to an FA Cup final AND from there to European Glory?

Tactical prowess, shameless luck, easy draws and probably even witchcraft wouldn't be enough to go through like 20 matches against sides with (at least) twice the average skill of your own team...

The closest thing I remember in real life was amateur side Calais reaching the French Cup Final in 2000, yet they played "only" five games to reach the finals.

No team lower than tier-2 has ever won an FA Cup, unless you count Newcastle in 1901, but pardon me if I won't take as "evidence" something that happened, literally, one hundred years ago. :)

And let's not even talk about European Cups :p

speople arguing again???

I think it was meant light heartedly to be fair - the cheating remark that is :eek:

As far as I am concerned I was accused of cheating, if there had been a :D or ;) then maybe I would have seen it as light-hearted, but there wasn't so I am glad speople backed me up on this one.

As far as I am concerned I was accused of cheating, if there had been a :D or ;) then maybe I would have seen it as light-hearted, but there wasn't so I am glad speople backed me up on this one.

Nah thats fine Kenco - thats why i did put smileys on my posts.

Again mine was a lighthearted poke just because I had sen speople make some valid enough points but then get all defensive and stressy afterwards. This was in other threads........ :)

My bad I can see how that could be construed as eggin on in a way.........

To much bickerin on the boards already is all i was thinkin.

;)

Never done it, I once got to the semi finals of the league cup as a league one Barnet, we lost 6-4 (edit:to Everton) on aggregate, if we'd of won we'd of got some championship team in the final, which i considered doable. I was devestated.

So i suppose everyone else who has replied to the thread has also cheated too since they werent in the top flight either.

Seems that some people will never believe that anyone can do anything without cheating to do it :thdn:

I suppose I cheat just by playing because living in Ukraine, it isn't available here to buy or on steam. So my brother who does live in england bought it and posted it over. So technically, by playing in a country where i am not able to even buy/steam the game by any means (and it cant be sent over via amazon etc either) then i am cheating just by playing :D since i arent even meant to be playing at all

I don't know where in God's name you decided it was implied that people who play FM but live in countries that don't sell it are cheating.

What a bizarre post, everything in bold is so irrelevant

I don't know where in God's name you decided it was implied that people who play FM but live in countries that don't sell it are cheating.

What a bizarre post, everything in bold is so irrelevant

I did put a big grin in there, so even tho it IS true about playing in a country where i actually can't play normally, i WAS being light hearted about it :D

I once cheated - to get a Championship side into Europe, just to see how far I could get. I got as far as the group stages in the old UEFA Cup with a favourable draw, but then the number of fixtures just got out of control for my side and I didn't get any further.

Not sure it's realistically possible on FM10 personally, although some teams in my FM08 game could do the UEFA Cup because some teams get relegated with such strong teams. Odd.

Archived