[10.3] Wingers Crossing To Wingers, Not Strikers

Only played a few matches, but I've noticed that, on average, 8 out of 10 crosses my team has made have been from one winger to the other. It's become rare for a striker to get on the end of a cross. I've tried assigning a target man and telling my wingers to cross to him, but it's not making any difference. Also, even when a striker is in a good position to receive the cross, he'll move out the way and the other winger will go into that position.

Crosses from full backs seem normal, though.

Just wondering why has this been moved to General Discussion when, along with myself, someone else I know is also experiencing this, and no matter what settings I give, I can never get a striker to get on the end of a winger's cross.

Surely this is a bug? Why move the thread, and more specifically, why move it without explanation?

Only played a few matches, but I've noticed that, on average, 8 out of 10 crosses my team has made have been from one winger to the other.

How about the next 10 crosses? Or next 100? Still finding this to be the case?

What formation were you playing? I find that in 10.2 and 10.3, if I play a 433, my opposite winger will regularly drift over and sometimes get on the end of a cross that misses a lone striker. But this isn't a problem, it happens in real life. It's that opposite winger's smart play to move over and act as a second striker.

How about the next 10 crosses? Or next 100? Still finding this to be the case?

What formation were you playing? I find that in 10.2 and 10.3, if I play a 433, my opposite winger will regularly drift over and sometimes get on the end of a cross that misses a lone striker. But this isn't a problem, it happens in real life. It's that opposite winger's smart play to move over and act as a second striker.

Still playing it, it's happening every time now. I've tried sticking them on Cross Aim: Near Post, and my wingers still cross to far post, seemingly deliberatly aiming for the other winger. Riera and Maxi Rodriguez, by the way, although even my substitute wingers are doing exactly the same thing. Setting a target man doesn't make any difference.

Sometimes the strikers will be in the right position, but as soon as the ball comes for them, they run out of the way and the winger takes their place and scores. Or, the strikers will just stand there, and the winger will automatically make the run forward and score. It's disappointing, because I can see exactly what's going to happen, and it does.

Still playing it, it's happening every time now.

Bizarre. Sounds like you've check every setting I would think to check! Find a winger with good heading and let him take those crosses into the net, that may be the only answer now! :p

In a lone-striker formation, I'd be disappointed if that wasn't happening. With two strikers, I think they should find one of the two- the target man if possible.

My main problem is wingers failing to time their crosses correctly. Either they hit it early, but in the way they'd normally cross (i.e. instead of whipping in an "early cross", they cross to the edge of the box, parallel), or they wait too long and put in a tame ball.

In a lone-striker formation, I'd be disappointed if that wasn't happening. With two strikers, I think they should find one of the two- the target man if possible.

Exactly, I'm playing Kuyt and Torres up front, and they just freeze or run away.

• SI Staff

Crosses were the subject of some debate during 10.3 beta. I think they could be a little more effective to be really honest, but as we wouldnt want to unbalance things in terms of goal type spread we didnt feel secure in fiddling too much with this being the last patch.

I dont know why wingers are more effective at getting onto them for some of you, it wasnt ever reported like that in beta. I expect as we focus on FM2011 this will get looked at and analysed anyway.

I've definitely noticed a drop-off in cross effectiveness since 10.3, though I'm not sure if that's because players seem more inclined to cross the ball now, and from slightly more deep positions than I was used to seeing (plus they seem a tiny bit better at getting past defenders). Certainly players who are set to cross from byline seem to cross earlier and to cross the ball more squarely than before.

In my last game, my two full-backs and wingers (crossing 15, 17, 15 and 17 respectively) hit a massive 38 crosses and completed 2.

I've found a workaround for this. Before, I was playing my Wingers specifcally with the Winger role. I've since switched them to Wide Midfielders, and crosses are working normally now. :thup:

So it looks like an issue with the Winger role specifically.

Sadly crossing is still a bit off, but at least its not as bad as it was in 10.2. I was hoping for a better fix since I prefer to play 4-5-1 with my AML/R providing for a big striker, but sadly its still not really effective enough.

Looks like I will have to try something different.

My wingers cross mostly to strikers, only my left winger sometimes crosses to the right. Anotehr reason why height in FM is a HUGE advantage on every position, completely unrealistic but try to have at least one tall winger. my MR is 1m91 and scored 13 header goals last season (only 10 heading though) in like 40 matches. Normally you won't depend on wingers making headers, but FM always shown different for me. Same for AMC's btw, if you have tall one, he will score more, players cross to wingers and AMC to the head anyway. I just put cross aim to target man, I see no reason why the ball would mostly end up at the other winger really ... but like 2 in 10 will end up at AMC or winger, and that's where the height advantage makes the difference. I sold Giovinco just for this reason, he tried too many headers for a midget really, one of the points SI really needs to work on.

It could be because the cdefenders mark well (in terms of crosses) whereas the fullbacks got nerfed and are now useless due to people complaining about the number of crosses being blocked in 10.2. So your winger is more likely to be free than the striker.

My wingers cross mostly to strikers, only my left winger sometimes crosses to the right. Anotehr reason why height in FM is a HUGE advantage on every position, completely unrealistic but try to have at least one tall winger. my MR is 1m91 and scored 13 header goals last season (only 10 heading though) in like 40 matches. Normally you won't depend on wingers making headers, but FM always shown different for me. Same for AMC's btw, if you have tall one, he will score more, players cross to wingers and AMC to the head anyway. I just put cross aim to target man, I see no reason why the ball would mostly end up at the other winger really ... but like 2 in 10 will end up at AMC or winger, and that's where the height advantage makes the difference. I sold Giovinco just for this reason, he tried too many headers for a midget really, one of the points SI really needs to work on.

Can't agree with this. 0 headed goals from Cahill and Fellaini in 1 and a half season.

Archived