What are the best attributes for a good playmaker?

Guest El Payaso
Creativity, passing, agility,off the ball, decisions,first touch and dribbling i would of thought.
+ flair, anticapation and composure

Creativity, passing, agility, off the ball, decisions, first touch and dribbling i would of thought.

Edit: Have a look at Kaka at the start of the game at Real Madrid, and you will see the stand out attributes for a play maker. :thup:

You would have thought.

OT: it depends a bit on what kind of playmaker you want. If you're using the tactics wizard, different roles will highlight different important attributes.

You would have thought.

OT: it depends a bit on what kind of playmaker you want. If you're using the tactics wizard, different roles will highlight different important attributes.

Thanks for the spelling tip, a bad habit that i have, sometimes i 'speak-N-spell'

Nowt wrong with a bit ov northern slang though.

I mean there's nothing wrong with a bit of northern slang. ;) hehe

The key ones IMO are Passing, Creativity, Decisions, Technique and Agility. Then it will fully depend on whether you are using a Deep Lying Playmaker or an Advanced Playmaker and if you have them set to defend, support or attack. As Tomer said, using the tactics wizard it tells you the key attributes in the player tactic screen so thats probably the best place to look.

• 1 year later...

That's a number of attributes. For those of us using players from the lower leagues, we really have to be pretty choosy!

So, given the three answers on this thread, I've broken it down to the most common. It seems that the top ones I should concern myself with are decisions and passing, followed by creativity and agility.

Just trying to narrow it down to the lowest number of most important attributes, as lower league players often don't have consistently high levels, or values which conform to types or stand out. The tally for this thread (so far) looks like this:

Creativity III

passing III

decisions III

agility III

off the ball II

first touch II

dribbling II

flair I

anticipation I

composure I

Technique I

I've not tried the wizard yet, as I'm trying to create my own tactic manually.

OT:

Thanks for the spelling tip, a bad habit that i have, sometimes i 'speak-N-spell'

Nowt wrong with a bit ov northern slang though.

I mean there's nothing wrong with a bit of northern slang. ;) hehe

It wasn't a spelling tip really. More of a grammar tip.

"Would of" and "could of" are not slang terms. They are semi-phonetic spellings of expressions which render the grammar incorrect.

What you're actually saying is "would've" and "could've" - it's a contraction. The 've part is pronounced almost identically to the way the word "of" is correctly pronounced (as opposed to the pronunciation of the word "off"). However, "of" has a completely different meaning to the word "have".

Also, "nowt" isn't slang - it is dialect. The word comes from the Middle English word "naught", as in "nothing". It is a perfectly good, valid and genuine English language word, though confined in the 21st century now mainly to northern England and southern Scotland.

Rendering the word "of" as "ov" is merely phonetic spelling. In this case, the word "of" is being 'pronounced' correctly - it should have more of a "v" sound than a "fff" or "ph" sound.

To reassure you, Barkermush, while you may be slightly inaccurate at rendering words on the page, there's absolutely nothing wrong with your speech! ;)

EDIT:

Incidentally, is there only one playmaker of the ten outfield players per match? Does the game select ONLY the playmaker at the top of your list (if he is selected in the 1st 11)? Or, if you have two playmakers in your list who are both playing in the same match, will the game attempt to treat both players as playmakers?

As far as I can determine, I have two players who are both apt as playmakers, and they're regularly in the first team together. One is a winger and the other is a fullback.

It wasn't a spelling tip really. More of a grammar tip.

"Would of" and "could of" are not slang terms. They are semi-phonetic spellings of expressions which render the grammar incorrect.

What you're actually saying is "would've" and "could've" - it's a contraction. The 've part is pronounced almost identically to the way the word "of" is correctly pronounced (as opposed to the pronunciation of the word "off"). However, "of" has a completely different meaning to the word "have".

Also, "nowt" isn't slang - it is dialect. The word comes from the Middle English word "naught", as in "nothing". It is a perfectly good, valid and genuine English language word, though confined in the 21st century now mainly to northern England and southern Scotland.

Rendering the word "of" as "ov" is merely phonetic spelling. In this case, the word "of" is being 'pronounced' correctly - it should have more of a "v" sound than a "fff" or "ph" sound.

To reassure you, Barkermush, while you may be slightly inaccurate at rendering words on the page, there's absolutely nothing wrong with your speech! ;)

Haha. What a wonderful first post :D Splendid. Welcome MalMcK!

Just to make sure... this wasn't meant to be ironic.

I would rather say you need this if your playmaker is to have any impact on the match:

1. The highest ability of your players. If he is not your best player, don't rely on him to be your main creative outlet.

2. The main visible attributes are: Determination, Creativity, Passing, Decisions, Off the Ball, Technique, Strength and Bravery (Speed is of course always good). Since the automatic response any AI will have when you use a Playmaker is to hack him down, mark him out of the game, deny him room and generally be highly destructive, having playmakers that are physically weak and becomes afraid when opponents come sliding in waist-high feet first continuously whenever he has the ball will be quite useless.

3. The Preferred Moves "Killer Balls Often", "Comes Deep to Get the Ball", "Dictates Tempo" and "Moves into Channels".

4. The hidden attributes Free Role, Pressure (handling), Big Matches, Consistency, Professionalism, Ambition... I here refer to #1.

Here's my list, in order of importance:

Creativity (To spot the passes. Without this, the playmaker will never make a play)

Passing (To actually be able to hit the intended target)

Technique (To pull off more advanced passes, like chipping the ball over- or curl the ball around the defense)

Anticipation (To read the runs of fellow players, and thus time the passes correctly)

Decisions (To pick the best options as often as possible)

Composure (To stay calm under pressure and not squander the ball)

Off the ball (To get open, and in a good position to receive the ball)

First Touch (To control the ball well when received)

Two-footedness (To not be hindered by having to turn to pass well)

Agility (To be able to turn quickly)

Teamwork (For the player to actually wish to pass, and play for the team, not for "personal glory")

Flair (To attempt unexpected and technically difficult passes)

In addition to this, being mobile, strong, good in the air, able to dribble, strong defensively etc etc, naturally adds other dimensions to the playmakers game. I don't believe them to be essential to do this exact job, though.

People keep Listing Passing but I my experience if you are utilizing a play maker higher up the pitch then Passing isn't as important as some other attributes I have had great success with a play-maker with mediocre Passing but good Creativity, Decisions, Work-rate, First touch and movement off the ball. He was constantly in the right place to receive the ball and play a ten yard through ball to the strikers.

My playmaker is always AMC so I like him to have good shooting, and long shots, but the most important stat for me is dribbling. When you think of the best playmakers messi, ronaldo, maradona, the first thing that comes to mind is dribbling.

Only none of those players are primarily playmakers, (although Messi certainly has great vision) at least not according to the traditional definition. Think more in the lines of Xavi, Fabregas, Zidane, Pirlo, and Scholes. Players who create opportunities for team mates, not just themselves.

Only none of those players are primarily playmakers, (although Messi certainly has great vision) at least not according to the traditional definition. Think more in the lines of Xavi, Fabregas, Zidane, Pirlo, and Scholes. Players who create opportunities for team mates, not just themselves.

Just because they can play different positions, and score goals, that doesn't mean they don't create plays for others, aswell as their self. Thats the sign of a great playmaker. No one creates more opportunites for their team mates than messi, or ronaldo.

A lot of folks on this site don't appreciate the aggression stat. Aggression determines whether the player passes forward or backwards, not how they tackle, go into challenges (bravery) etc. A good playmaker should have a high agression stat. Generally have good passing and creativity and decisions as well. Playmakers generally have good dribbling as well. No harm in pace and technique either. To top it off good balance and agility.

Archived