Can i play Football Manager 2010 without a CD?

• 1 month later...
  • SI Staff
What about those of us who have the DVD, and only one drive? I want to watch a film while I play but now I just need the disc sat there in the drive doing nothing?

If you activated the game via Steam then you would be able to play the game without the DVD in the drive.

What about those of us who have the DVD, and only one drive? I want to watch a film while I play but now I just need the disc sat there in the drive doing nothing?

I dunno what your experience is like with computers, but couldn't you dump the film to your HD, and watch it from there? Thus freeing your optical drive up for the FM disc?

I was offering a solution mate, to free up your DVD drive

Here is better one, go buy another DVD drive, they are £10 if you look around, problem solved :)

It's not a solution though, it's a horrible workaround.

You're missing the main point - I have the game, it has copy protection on the DVD, I've installed it, I don't mind registering it with steam or whatever...

so why do I need to keep the disc in the drive? Why should I have to solve a problem like this?

It's not a solution though, it's a horrible workaround.

You're missing the main point - I have the game, it has copy protection on the DVD, I've installed it, I don't mind registering it with steam or whatever...

so why do I need to keep the disc in the drive? Why should I have to solve a problem like this?

I think your wrong mate. As far as I know, there is NO copy protection on the DVD, that is why it has to be in the drive. I may be wrong, but I am sure that is the case.

If someone from SI can let me know - Is there any way for me to activate via steam now? I have the boxed PC copy, I installed from disc. When I go to steam to activate it using the steam activation key, it then wants to download the game. I just want to activate it, I don't want Steam to download it.

If your using a desktop computer then have you ever considered installing a second dvd drive so you can keep your fm disk in one and then use the other to watch your movies?

Look - the point is, I should not have to install a second drive. The game doesn't need to run off the DVD, it just wants to check up on me. Surely once I've booted with the DVD in the drive, that's enough? Why does it need to stay there? In case I have some kind of Football Manager party and a host of people come over and we all drink heartily and laugh at SI as we run multiple installations off a single DVD. Hahahah! Have at you, SI! We win! HAHAHAH!

No. Instead I just want to frigging well play the game and watch a movie without having to copy it to my drive or buy a second DVD drive.

If someone from SI can let me know - Is there any way for me to activate via steam now? I have the boxed PC copy, I installed from disc. When I go to steam to activate it using the steam activation key, it then wants to download the game. I just want to activate it, I don't want Steam to download it.

Not possible I'm afraid - you'd need to install via Steam (which will mean downloading it from there - that happens as part of the install when you put the disk in if memory serves) and then you'd be able to play without the disk.

Cheers

Matt

Look - the point is, I should not have to install a second drive. The game doesn't need to run off the DVD, it just wants to check up on me. Surely once I've booted with the DVD in the drive, that's enough? Why does it need to stay there?

There wouldn't be any need for measures like this if people didn't pirate software so dont blame SI for attempting to stop this activity. If you dont want to use the disc or install another drive then try steam.

Not possible I'm afraid - you'd need to install via Steam (which will mean downloading it from there - that happens as part of the install when you put the disk in if memory serves) and then you'd be able to play without the disk.

Cheers

Matt

If you have to install and download the game from steam then what's the point of having a disc in the first place. Sorry if I'm being really stupid Matt but I dont understand that :confused:

There wouldn't be any need for measures like this if people didn't pirate software so dont blame SI for attempting to stop this activity. If you dont want to use the disc or install another drive then try steam.

You're right, there wouldn't. But punishing me for NOT breaking any laws is a bit silly, isn't it? I don't mind copy protection, and I can totally understand the need for the disc to be there when loading the game, but what purpose is served by having to have it in during play? Other than to check up on us to make sure we're not running multiple versions of the game from one disc? And are there really enough people doing that for it to be a problem?

If I download it via Steam, what happens to the version I've installed from disc? I don't really want to have two different copies of the game sat on my hard drive, so have I bought the disc just for the steam activation code on the box? Maybe you guys could have mentioned this and I could have saved myself bothering to actually buy the damn game and have it shipped to me.

I believe you can just install it over the version that's there although I confess I can't remember what happened when I did this.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I believe it's minor - once you're installed you don't really need to worry about it again.

Merry Christmas.

Archived