Rival Manager Relationships

As spurs in my first season I ended up playing arsenal 4 times, winning three home games in both cup comps and the league and drawing 3-3 away. Each game i gave Arsene some stick and in one press conference said "i have no time for Arsene wenger" which enraged a couple of my own players. All this and he still only has a 'fairly poor opinion of me'. So my question is, is it possible for another manager to have worse than a 'fairly poor opinion' of you? If not, then i might aswell end my relentless lampooning of wenger in the media. cheers

It's an area of the game that is sadly lacking.

Managers don't feel like they have personalities.

SI try to improve these aspects of the game within the confines of the current code but the whole area needs a re-write to bring personalities out.

true that, i would love to get into a touchline skirmish with wenger, as he has done many times irl. Shame, seems like my best attempts to really p him off will go to waste. Although he has been fairly vocal towards me in the press which is good, i desperately want our relationship to deteriorate even further!

In FM09 I was managing Maccabi Ahi Nazareth, a mediocre Israeli outfit. While there it became apparent that the manager of my team's main rivals (Bnei Sakhnin I think was the name of the team), was called Ron Levi. He had so many similarities to Don Revie it was unbelievable.

I've never seen worse, but I've heard of AI manager's having such a poor relation they refuse to accept transfer offers even for listed players.

I think you have to do alot of "comment on manager" slanging and run a high risk of upsetting your own squad.

Last year I played as Real Madrid and constantly slagged Pep at Barca, including adding my own comments questioning his manhood and lack of certain genitalia. He had been making rude comments about me, but eventually he stopped talking and refused to comment on me at all. That was funny, especially when I dropped a 7-1 bomb on him and then said he much to learn about coaching. Still never went past "Fairly poor opinion of you." Really? I mock him totally, including a few times when no match between us was coming up (my favorite part of the game, total blindside douchery), and he only had a "fairly poor opinion of me." Yet a player that never works out for me, is moved from "key player" to "not needed" and then transferred hates me. That's realistic at least, but why not the managers?

What bothers me more though is a manager that just "has fairly poor opinion" for no reason -- you haven't played him, haven't mocked him, and his team is not a rival of yours. Why does some random coach at Newcastle with no ties to any of my rivals hate me when I am at Real Madrid and we have never faced off before? Strange. Also weird is when you move one team to another and the relationship changes. Rafa liked me when I was at Real, but garnered a poor opinion of me when I moved to Chelsea. I never did anything except move to a rival, but he decided I wasn't a good guy anymore.

lol. Just starting the new season and Wenger has been sacked as arsenal manager for finishing 5th (ten points behind me in 4th), hes now the france manager and juande ramos is gunners boss. I really didnt need another excuse to start bitching at ramos, lets see if i can get him sacked aswell!

What bothers me more though is a manager that just "has fairly poor opinion" for no reason -- you haven't played him, haven't mocked him, and his team is not a rival of yours. Why does some random coach at Newcastle with no ties to any of my rivals hate me when I am at Real Madrid and we have never faced off before? Strange. Also weird is when you move one team to another and the relationship changes. Rafa liked me when I was at Real, but garnered a poor opinion of me when I moved to Chelsea. I never did anything except move to a rival, but he decided I wasn't a good guy anymore.

I have never met Rafa but I have a fairly poor opinion of him. Might be something to do with he joined Liverpool...

See? Totally realistic!

I dunno if it goes worse than "fairly poor opinion of you" but as liverpool/england manager, I just had the Chelsea boss (mancini) withdraw 4 players (including john terry) from a friendly and it said in the news item about the rift between us growing! I think i've continued too far into the game now to find a screenie, but i'll try..

It would be great if this area of the game was developed to have allow for some 'issues' with other managers, it would definitely add to the game!

I would like it if you could select both favorite team and least favorite team when creating your manager so that maybe that team's opposing manager will be more of a jerk to you. I did notice that if you poach too many players from a team their manager begins to dislike you, which I think is a nice touch.

My biggest wish is for Fergie to be more of a jerk in the game. It would be great if he made up fouls and other incidents for his team losing to your team or if you beat him for a transfer, he complained that you have too much money and the player made a big mistake not signing with you (actually this should be an option for you too -- if a guy doesn't sign with you, you can criticize him, ala Rafa on Barry). Mourinho should doubt your technical abilities and Wenger should complain that you are ruining the game of football with obscene salaries if you coach a rich team.

I guess it could be that the other managers dislike you initially because you're just a nobody who all of a sudden gets appointed as a manager of a big club.

I find that after one nice comment to them, they usually want to be friends.

That does make sense, I've also noticed mid-level managers are jealous of you because of that. The nice comments have never worked on Fergie for me. He still dislikes me. Oh well, can't please everyone.

Yeah, this is lacking a bit isn't it?

Another aspect of manager personalities I'd like to see developed is your own manager screen. I don't want a myspace profile page, or anything like that, but it would be good to spice it up a bit. Players now have a description of personality and how they react to the media, so why not your manager as well?

It could also show a list of managers that you get along with as well as your rivals.

Another aspect of manager personalities I'd like to see developed is your own manager screen. I don't want a myspace profile page, or anything like that, but it would be good to spice it up a bit. Players now have a description of personality and how they react to the media, so why not your manager as well?

It could also show a list of managers that you get along with as well as your rivals.

+1111111

yeah, the game has things to developed more

At the least the game should allow you to pick your personality, mentality rather than you working it out over the years. Mind you if you want to start as is with low level rep that is fine, but if you start as a known manager, it should allow you to pick what your personality is like with the media (abrasive, charming, open, etc) and players. Then if you will favor veterans, youth, nice balance and your playing style: offensive, defensive as well as your favored formation.

You get asked some of these questions at your first press conference, but it seems as though the answers don't quite matter. Ideally, setting these situations would cause your new players to have a reaction to you before you arrive. So if you take over Manchester United to start this season and favored a 4-3-3 formation with a heavy emphasis on youth and attacking football then players like Giggs and Neville may worry about their positions. On the other hand, Anderson and Macheda would be excited. Also if you have an abrasive personality with the media, the news of your arrival may be slanted.

At the least I want my new players to have some sort of opinion on me -- maybe also have the club captain and vice captain request a meeting the way the backroom staff do now to tell me what they feel are the weaknesses, strengths, preferred formation, transfer targets, etc are. It would also be a nice if this was a regular feature: a weekly meeting with your captain. Right now the only interaction with him off the pitch is to try and get him to right the ship in the midst of poor performances. I want my captain's input more often.

Archived