without a cd

I don't understand, are you suggesting it is not beneficial?

No, its beneficial if you want to free up your DVD drive for something else. For me though, i spend my time playing the game and would much rather all the available computer resources are being used for it.

Its no biggie to have the DVD in the drive anyway, in my opinion. Hence thats why i dont see it as much of a benefit.

Who said anything about piracy? :confused:

I did?

so wait i dont understand,i am not in the mood now,tell me if a bought a boxed version and i patched it,can i play without cd...what do i have to do to play it without cd

You have to install through Steam...

The whole problem is always down to protecting intellectual property, but the methods enforced to try and do this will always fail. The music industry is slowly learning that it cannot defeat the problem, but it must engage with the problem in a different way. Its learnt that its aggresive stance just leads to the problem becoming worse.

The film industry is still lagging a little behind, but its also understanding the message. You will never defeat piracy but can try and recuperate some of the lost revenues brought about by piracy. How many of you own an Xbox 360 and spend some of your points on film rentals? I know I have and I have never been one to rent a video from a video store.

I think slowly corporations are understanding thats its about recupping the lost revenue in innovative ways, its not about crushing piracy completely because you can never do that.

Cant talk specifically too much about the FM CDin the drive thing, but lets say that measure is usually defeated with 24 hours of the titles release rendering it an inconvinience to not pirates but legitimate game purchasers.

I think publishers demand some form of protection though no matter how pointless it really is.

The whole problem is always down to protecting intellectual property, but the methods enforced to try and do this will always fail. The music industry is slowly learning that it cannot defeat the problem, but it must engage with the problem in a different way. Its learnt that its aggresive stance just leads to the problem becoming worse.

The film industry is still lagging a little behind, but its also understanding the message. You will never defeat piracy but can try and recuporate some of the lost revenues brought about by piracy. How many of you own an Xbox 360 and spend some of your points of film rentals? I know I have and I have never been one to rent a video from a video store.

I think slowly corporations are understanding thats its about recupping the lost revenue in inovative ways, its not about crushing piracy completely because you can never do that.

Cant talk specifically too much about the FM CDin the drive thing, but lets say that measure is usually defeated with 24 hours of the titles release rendering it an inconvinience to not pirates but legitimate game purchasers.

I think publishers demand some form of protection though no matter how pointless it reallt is.

Why does this post exist?

so wait i dont understand,i am not in the mood now,tell me if a bought a boxed version and i patched it,can i play without cd...what do i have to do to play it without cd

For the 4th time, you need to use Steam!

Your best bet is to unistall the game completely, then re-install. It will ask if you want to use Steam, say yes and it will take you through it. You get patches automatically with Steam so you wont need to download it again. Once its done you can play without the DVD.

just one last thing beacuse this is so stupid,how to install boxed version over steam

1) If you've already installed you will have to uninstall.

2) Download Steam, search for it on Google.

3) Choose to install through Steam when you are given the option to during the installation process.

I was explaining how inconvenient it is to legitimate purchasers to have to have the CD in the drive anyway.

There is a problem with my post?

Its not inconvenient, not at all. Its a choice that people can make, to have the DVD in the drive or not but to say having the DVD in the drive is an inconvenience is a bit of an over statement. My god, how did we manage a few years back?

I was explaining how inconvenient it is to legitimate purchasers to have to have the CD in the drive anyway.

There is a problem with my post?

I don't really understand what drove you to write that essay in this thread. I only mentioned that the advice being offered wouldn't work if he had pirated the game, as he seemed to be ignoring the Steam answers. It just looks like there was some confusion.

Why does this post exist?
Its not inconvenient, not at all. Its a choice that people can make, to have the DVD in the drive or not but to say having the DVD in the drive is an inconvenience is a bit of an over statement. My god, how did we manage a few years back?

I want to listen to my snoop CD and kick some butt with my Doncaster Rovers Team. But wait I cant can I because I have to have the FM disc in the drive. Hence its a inconvinience.

You just want an argument for the sake of it?

How is it not an inconvience to me when I wanna listen to snoop but cant?

I don't really understand what drove you to write that essay in this thread. I only mentioned that the advice being offered wouldn't work if he had pirated the game, as he seemed to be ignoring the Steam answers. It just looks like there was some confusion.

At least you realise it was you who started the whole piracy angle here, even if you didnt mean too.

I want to listen to my snoop CD and kick some butt with my Doncaster Rovers Team. But wait I cant can I because I have to have the FM disc in the drive. Hence its a inconvinience.

You just want an argument for the sake of it?

How is it not an inconvience to me when I wanna listen to snoop but cant?

I see your point. To get round this i have digitalised my music collection. Its all available on my laptop if i want to listen to it without the need to faff with the CD. Im not arguing, you need to be able to accept others views without accusing people of arguing for the sake of it!

I see your point. To get round this i have digitalised my music collection. Its all available on my laptop if i want to listen to it without the need to faff with the CD. Im not arguing, you need to be able to accept others views without accusing people of arguing for the sake of it!

You said it wasnt an inconvinience to me, How do you know what is inconvinient to me? You didnt express a view, you was putting words into my mouth.

Now if you think we should have to put the CD to combat piracy now thats a view, abeit one we can discredit pretty quickly, but nontheless a view.

to say having the DVD in the drive is an inconvenience is a bit of an over statement. My god, how did we manage a few years back?
Its all available on my laptop if i want to listen to it without the need to faff with the CD.

You have to admit this is kind of funny.

You have to admit this is kind of funny.

Yeah i did think about that :). What i meant was that i can, and do, play FM for hours on end so its therefore no big deal if i had to have 1 CD in the drive for all them hours. On the other hand, music wise, i very rarely listen to an entire an ablum from start to finish meaning i'd be swapping them around every 20-30 mins or whatever, and thats more of a faff than having to have just one CD in the drive continuously.

Hope this clarifies :)

No it doesnt Baker Simon. Wasnt you around here last night also looking for cheap fights?

I cant see how your situation makes it no longer an inconvenience for ME and some others. Sorry but I am struggling there.

No one wants to fight you. You are the boss.

Yeah i did think about that :). What i meant was that i can, and do, play FM for hours on end so its therefore no big deal if i had to have 1 CD in the drive for all them hours. On the other hand, music wise, i very rarely listen to an entire an ablum from start to finish meaning i'd be swapping them around every 20-30 mins or whatever, and thats more of a faff than having to have just one CD in the drive continuously.

Hope this clarifies :)

It is far easier to install from disc than steam

No it doesnt Baker Simon. Wasnt you around here last night also looking for cheap fights?

I cant see how your situation makes it no longer an inconvenience for ME and some others. Sorry but I am struggling there.

Just because my opinions may differ to yours, doesnt mean im looking for a "fight" :rolleyes:

This is very inconvenient for me, as I have to install the game on a laptop them transfer the data to my desktop, that worked last year as you could play the game without the disk, whilst also not using Steam, however this time around I can't play the game at all, because my DVD drive wont read modern disks, or at least disks using a certain type of security.

Its an absoloute joke.

This is very inconvenient for me, as I have to install the game on a laptop them transfer the data to my desktop, that worked last year as you could play the game without the disk, whilst also not using Steam, however this time around I can't play the game at all, because my DVD drive wont read modern disks, or at least disks using a certain type of security.

Its an absoloute joke.

Then use Steam?

It is far easier to install from disc than steam

Well, no. It's faster, there's absolutely no difficulty in either, you simply let it install.

If anything, Steam's autopatching and ability to verify and replace corrupt game files without a CD based reinstall gives it a slight advantage.

Well to be honest I think Sega and S.I have reverted back to a more moderate form of protection. Its a pain still though when these protection features are destroyed within 24 hours of the release, buts I guess its better than the Draconian methods they'd really like to use.

I just said my drive doesn't read the disk, so I can't install it using anything. Plus I'd never use Steam, having used them in the past, and received appalling customer service from them, plus it is very inconvenient.

How is Steam inconvenient? Just curious thats all :)

I just said my drive doesn't read the disk, so I can't install it using anything. Plus I'd never use Steam, having used them in the past, and received appalling customer service from them, plus it is very inconvenient.

If your drive doesnt read the disc we cant blame that one on the software. Thats a hardware problem. Why didnt you buy the CD version? Did you know before hand your drive has problems reading some DVD Roms?

How is Steam inconvenient? Just curious thats all :)

Because one day when they go bust you wont be able to visit their site and download the games you PURCHASED. Of course they might not go bust, but why risk it especially given the recent economic problems..

So you cannot install using Steam on your other computer, use the USB to transfer the files, and then launch from Steam on the other computer?

If your drive doesnt read the disc we cant blame that one on the software. Thats a hardware problem. Why didnt you buy the CD version? Did you know before hand your drive has problems reading some DVD Roms?

I thought FM was DVD only this year?

Your right though. Hardware problems cant be blamed on SI or SEGA.

I thought FM was DVD only this year?

Your right though. Hardware problems cant be blamed on SI or SEGA.

Really I didnt know that. I prefer a CD version where possible because a dual CD/DVD disc drive do eventually suffer from laser frequency problems. Thats why sometimes your DVD drive will happily play a CD but not a DVD. The laser is screwed.

Because one day when they go bust you wont be able to visit their site and download the games you PURCHASED. Of course they might not go bust, but why risk it especially given the recent economic problems..

Ah well, its only money anyway. I'd hazard a guess that Steam will be fine. They've come through the worst economic downturn in a generation so far.

Archived