GK Drogba?!?

Seen this last night; Drogba in goal for the Ivory Coast LOL. Not even as a replacement - he started there.

You seen anything similar? Messi in goal perhaps? Probably not - I looked at the squad sheet and Ivory Coast just didn't have any GKs there - that wouldn't happen with Argentina.

Yeah, FM doesn't have any real goalies for Ivory Coast, I remember someone saying they got the job and often had to play an outfield player in goal, leading to a swift sacking!!

LOL

I guess If you've any intention of playing as them you should load all their players at the start.

This is my first game in England - thought I'd have a quick game with Chelsea until FM10 comes out. That's why I've never seen it before.

It seems to be a particular problem for the Ivory Coast; I'd imagine because there aren't any high-profile Ivorian goalkeepers in the starting database, so equally there don't tend to be many regens for the position either when not playing the relevant league.

edit to add: when I say particular problem, I realise it is a problem for a few countries. But most of the countries it occurs for are smaller than the Ivory Coast, at least in footballing terms. Because the Ivory Coast have a fair few decent players it is an attractive job for FMers and therefore gets reported more for this nation.

Yeah, FM doesn't have any real goalies for Ivory Coast, I remember someone saying they got the job and often had to play an outfield player in goal, leading to a swift sacking!!

tht woulda been me...

indeed there is a distinct lack of ivory coast goalies...

oh and 3 peeps making the same joke in different form about drogba... doesnt make it any more funny... which it isnt that much anyway...

Had similar problems with Senagal, but doesn't sound quite as bad as Ivory Coast. The top keeper Tony Sylva managed to get suspended or injured before every single international, and we had only one other (bit crap) Senegalese GK in the National Pool. Naturally, just before playing a key qualifier he too got a long-term injury. :(

Boubacar Copa is the goalie of Ivory Coast IRL if I'm correct. He's an good consistent GK playing for Lokeren, a first division team in Belgium. Why he's still there is a mystery to me.

tht woulda been me...

indeed there is a distinct lack of ivory coast goalies...

oh and 3 peeps making the same joke in different form about drogba... doesnt make it any more funny... which it isnt that much anyway...

chelsea fan perhaps aha

I think he is in the database - just that you need to use a crystal ball and load up all Ivory Coast players or the Belgian League.

Yep, it would be nice to be able to expand the player database mid-game to account for such things (I started unemployed in my game and ended up in Senegal, but would have chosen the option to take all players from Senegal in the db from the start had I known). There must be some technical explanation though for why SI haven't enabled this.

EDIT: After a quick search the answer is obvious: your save game might have progressed by ten seasons, and adding new player info from their 'zero-state' would introduce all sorts of conflicts due to transfers, player development, aging, etc, that happened during your save.

Archived