Please please please change this for FM10!!!

For the past few versions there have been 2 problems that could easily be fixed, but take away from the realism of the game:

1) When getting a scout report of the upcoming opponent, they have always played the same eam before playing you, this is extremely unrealistic and in my view would make a simple, but effective change.

2) You always play the teams in order for 1st and second half of a seaon e.g. man utd 1st and 19th arsenal 2nd and 20th, again, this is very unrealitic and could be an easy change, but will, as the other change, make the game alot more realistic in my opinion.

Its not a big problem, but fairly in my opinion. But would just add to the realism in my opinion, hopefully theyve changed it already as its something that just does not and will not happen in real life, and seeing as fm is a sim, thats not really good enough

I don't know about football, but the looping is certainly what happens in chess tournaments conducted using the all-play-all system. Take this tournament as an example:

If you examine the play order of anyone except Baker, you'll get the order McNab - Cherniaev - Berelovich - Savage - Eggleston - Allicock - Ermenkov - Sowray - Lundin - Madan - Cox - Radovanovic - Rudd, with Baker's name slotted in wherever the player would have played himself. This is a mechanism that always creates a valid all-play-all, and is therefore widely used.

Chess is like football in a number of critical features here: it is played in tournaments of widely varying sizes; it is a two-"player" game; one of the two "players" has a minor but noticeable advantage (Home advantage in football and White advantage in chess are of very similar levels).

Chess is like football in a number of critical features here: it is played in tournaments of widely varying sizes; it is a two-"player" game; one of the two "players" has a minor but noticeable advantage (Home advantage in football and White advantage in chess are of very similar levels).

I understand your view, but it is completely wrong. Your points have nothing to do ith looping fixtures or your next opponent having played the same team the previous week every week.

Not directly, but my points combine to mean that tournament formats that work for one will work for the other. And the fundamental thing you want for your tournament formats is a recipe for generating fixtures that will always work, and not get "jammed" (technical term for when the fixtures left to be played cannot be fitted into the rounds left for them). The following-another-team-around method will always work, no matter how many teams are in the division, which is not something that can be said for most other methods.

In fm they are identical, for chamopinship or premiership. And my other complaint, e.g. i am watford, i get a scout report for my upcoming team saying last week they played sheff wed, every opponent i then play has always played sheff wed last week. Looking at burnley fixtures, bolton in the space of 5 games. Almost every fixture isnt on a loop.

Yes but in reality that isnt how it works, and this is a simulation, meaning it is meant to resemble real life! And im talking about league only, not cups.

So am I. Knockouts don't have jamming issues; if both you and another team are still in the competition, you against them is a valid pairing. It's only in all-play-alls and Swisses (a format not currently used by football tournaments of any standing) that you need to worry about jamming.

It's an interesting question, actually - for any given even number of teams, how many non-isomorphic ways are there for the fixtures to be drawn between them? (Assume that it doesn't matter which team is which, and that home and away don't matter either - we can alter those assumptions later.) For example, there's only one way to do the fixtures with two teams (they play each other) and there's only one way to do the fixtures with four teams (there are six different orders, but they all follow the same pattern).

clearly not. im saying tht teams do not play on a loop. which is factully correct.but he keeps on talking ..rubbish. so dont say i dont understand him, cos i do, its just hes wrong, and he turned the thread into a rubbish one

I think the underlying problem here is likely to be that the actual fixtures for a given country's league are intertwined in very complicated ways, with certain pairs of clubs being bad choices to both play at home on the same day, and stuff like that.

Actually simulating that would be a coding nightmare; it's a much better use of one's coding time to put in an algorithm that's known to produce valid pairings all the time, and use the man-hours somewhere where they'll matter more.

In La Liga this is how it is in real life.. The order of which the teams are played is identical for 1st and 2nd half of seasons.. F.eks. this is Real Madrids fixture list:

30.08.2009 Real Madrid - Deportivo

13.09.2009 Espanyol - Real Madrid

20.09.2009 Real Madrid - Xerez

23.09.2009 Villarreal - Real Madrid

27.09.2009 Real Madrid - Tenerife

04.10.2009 Sevilla - Real Madrid

18.10.2009 Real Madrid - Valladolid

25.10.2009 Sporting - Real Madrid

01.11.2009 Real Madrid - Getafe

08.11.2009 Atlético Madrid - Real Madrid

22.11.2009 Real Madrid - Racing Santander

29.11.2009 Barcelona - Real Madrid

06.12.2009 Real Madrid - Almería

13.12.2009 Valencia - Real Madrid

20.12.2009 Real Madrid - Zaragoza

03.01.2010 Osasuna - Real Madrid

10.01.2010 Real Madrid - Mallorca

17.01.2010 Ath. Bilbao - Real Madrid

24.01.2010 Real Madrid - Málaga

HALFWAY

31.01.2010 Deportivo - Real Madrid

07.02.2010 Real Madrid - Espanyol

14.02.2010 Xerez - Real Madrid

21.02.2010 Real Madrid - Villarreal

28.02.2010 Tenerife - Real Madrid

07.03.2010 Real Madrid - Sevilla

14.03.2010 Valladolid - Real Madrid

21.03.2010 Real Madrid - Sporting

24.03.2010 Getafe - Real Madrid

28.03.2010 Real Madrid - Atlético Madrid

04.04.2010 Racing Santander - Real Madrid

11.04.2010 Real Madrid - Barcelona

14.04.2010 Almería - Real Madrid

18.04.2010 Real Madrid - Valencia

25.04.2010 Zaragoza - Real Madrid

02.05.2010 Real Madrid - Osasuna

05.05.2010 Mallorca - Real Madrid

09.05.2010 Real Madrid - Ath. Bilbao

16.05.2010 Málaga - Real Madrid

Notice the pattern :)

Of course teams play in a loop (see Herter's post). After the league has started there might be games postponed and so it may not play out as the schedule predicts. But the basic order of games is always the same. Pretty damn obvious.

Is this really that big a deal? It's hardly ruining the game.

Although, the OP is correct for Premiership features at the very least. In the second half of the season, the only fictures for Liverpool that are corresponding to the first are Stoke and Bolton, whilst are last two games, Chelsea and Hull, are our last two games of the season whilst our games against Wolves are just a month apart. In England, it's generally the case that the reverse of the Boxing day fixture is about a month later. TBH though, I think a fair few leagues do use this sort of system to sort the fixtures, and it's probably a hell of a lot easier for it to work like this in the game.

Both issues are perfectly realistic and thus no issues at all. :):confused:

Fixture lists happen to be made in a way that some teams will have identical opponents after each other, so it may well happen for a few weeks that your opponets will always have the same opposition in the match before yours.

Same with the fixtures order. They are supposed to be the same in both halfs of the season. There might be exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions.

http://www.watfordfc.com/page/Fixtures/0,,10400,00.html

Go check Watford FC's fixture list.. ;) - You might have a season ticket, but you apparantly never notice which team your playing against ;)

Herter.. They are not identical.

example from the link provided above;

8 first league games of the season for watford and 8 first league games from the second half of the season

First half of the season / Second half of the season

1. Doncaster ---------- 24. Bristol city

2. Sheffield United ----- 25. Sheffield United

3. Nottm forest -------- 26. Doncaster

4. Blackpool ----------- 27. Blackpool

5. Swansea ------------28. Swansea

6. Barnsley -------------29. Barnsley

7. Plymouth------------ 30. Bristol City

8. Leicester ------------31. Crystal Palace

9. etc.

10. etc.

Altough 4 out of 8 fixtures are in fact "same", the fixturelist is not identical.

In FM the fixtures would look like

1. Doncaster ---------- 24. Doncaster

3. Nottm forest -------- 26. Nottm forest

7. Plymouth------------ 30. Plymouth

8. Leicester ------------31. Leicester

9. etc.

10. etc.

WBR

M

MaCeR,

That's not true. Here are my FM fixtures for the current season by way of comparison:

1. AC Milan ----- 19. AC Milan

2. Torino ------- 20. Torino

3. Catania ------ 21. Catania

4. Fiorentina ---- 22. Fiorentina

5. Palermo ------ 23. Perugia

6. Perugia ------ 24. Palermo

7. Cagliari ------- 25. Bologna

8. Roma -------- 26. Cagliari

Four out of eight are the same just like in Watford's real life fixtures.

Herter.. They are not identical.

example from the link provided above;

8 first league games of the season for watford and 8 first league games from the second half of the season

1. Doncaster ---------- 24. Bristol city

3. Nottm forest -------- 26. Doncaster

7. Plymouth------------ 30. Bristol City

8. Leicester ------------31. Crystal Palace

9. etc.

10. etc.

Altough 4 out of 8 fixtures are in fact "same", the fixturelist is not identical.

In FM the fixtures would look like

1. Doncaster ---------- 24. Doncaster

3. Nottm forest -------- 26. Nottm forest

7. Plymouth------------ 30. Plymouth

8. Leicester ------------31. Leicester

9. etc.

10. etc.

WBR

M

True.. They are not identical.. My bad :(

However these is a certain "pattern" in the schedule ordering.. I've looked over a few Championship teams and all have the same pattern.. about half of the fixtures are identical for both half-seasons.. I wonder why?

http://www.watfordfc.com/page/Fixtures/0,,10400,00.html

Go check Watford FC's fixture list.. ;) - You might have a season ticket, but you apparantly never notice which team your playing against ;)

As Macer said, that is not correct, please dont question my commitment, i go to vertially everygame, ikm 15 and pay half of ticket price with i work for

MaCeR,

That's not true. Here are my FM fixtures for the current season by way of comparison:

1. AC Milan ----- 19. AC Milan

2. Torino ------- 20. Torino

3. Catania ------ 21. Catania

4. Fiorentina ---- 22. Fiorentina

5. Palermo ------ 23. Perugia

6. Perugia ------ 24. Palermo

7. Cagliari ------- 25. Bologna

8. Roma -------- 26. Cagliari

Four out of eight are the same just like in Watford's real life fixtures.

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!

In fm it gos first, 19th 2nd 20th, which is a home/way loop, in real life you can play within a month of eachother etc

In simple terms: Real life-Mixture of when you play teams, varies massively, from 1 month apart to 4 months etc. FM-Exact loop eg. if you ply a team in the first game of the season, you will play them in the first game of the second half of the season, home or away. There are minor differences but that is it

As Macer said, that is not correct, please dont question my commitment, i go to vertially everygame, ikm 15 and pay half of ticket price with i work for

Well I've already posted that.. It's not that I question your commitment.. that was just a joke :)

Although its not identical there is a clear pattern in which the fixture are planned..

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!

In fm it gos first, 19th 2nd 20th, which is a home/way loop, in real life you can play within a month of eachother etc

Well I've followed Real Madrid for many many years and I've NEVER seen them play the same team in the league twice within a month. Perhaps this is possible in some specific league, but NOT in any of the league I actively follow :)

I've read this thread and I want the 20 minutes of my life back. So many people are completely clueless about real life fixture generation. The only post that caught my eye with information I didn't know was the Real Madrid real life fixture list.

And why Malleria is ignoring Jack Rudd's comments I don't know, Jack is clearly trying to explain why the repeating fixture list is the easiest to generate, and did a stirling job. Just because Chess isn't football, doesn't mean they are completely unrelated. If he had used Rugby as his example would you have given him such a hard time?

The only reason you see an imperfect repetition in FM is due to fixture rescheduling during the season (TV, Cup games, Weather - pick any reason).

On the matter of, 'Would I like this changed in future versions of the game?', Yes I would, but not at the expense of stability.

Archived