More ram or better video card?

I have a hp 550, 1gb ram, intel ® Celeron ® CPU processor @2.00 Ghz and Mobile Intel ® 865 express chipset family

I know my ram is low and graphics card isnt the best but on 3D it stutters a bit but can see the pitch, players etc.well, so would i need 3 or 4gb ram to make it smooth 3D play like the one on the fm2010 site which is very smooth.

By todays standards that a very low spec pc. In your case i'd get more ram as it's dirt cheap, the more the better as you can get 4gb of ddr2 for around £50. Ideally you'd also want a better processor too. More ram will help with processing time between games and would make the 3d smoother.

In fairness mate you need a new PC/Laptop, but looking past all of that and seeing what could make the game playable your graphics card is the main problem, as it will be a shared (shares memory with PC) and also laptop graphic cards are poor at best. Your other problem is Laptop graphic cards cannot be upgraded, You could try turning it to 2D to get some sort of game? However I would seriously look into upgrading I couldn't tell you what too as I use a desktop at home.

*I'm an IT technician and I've also tried to get FM to work on my works laptop (2GB Memory, Core2 Duo) and I also get the stuttering graphics buying more memory would honestly be throwing good money after bad.

Agree with what everyone said, you really do need a new computer. Buy parts and put it together yourself. I knew nothing about computers til I decided to do it myself and if I can do it you can!

Keep one thing in mind though there's no point in getting 4GB ram if you're running a 32 bit windows.

If you have XP, your can't use more than 3GB RAMQUOTE]

3.25 to be exact;) but yeah, bear this in mind if you decide to buy more ram and also check the expansion slots to see just how much ram the motherboard can actually take.

To be honest though i'd look at buying a new computer as you can't polish a turd.

Not true some actually can be replaced. There are quite a few videos on youtube about how to do this.

I have changed alot of laptop mainboards in my time and I've never come across a laptop graphics card that could easily be removed so I imagine it would be a modification rather than an upgrade. Once you factor in finding the part, the cost of it and the work involved in such a modification i imagine it wouldn't be cost effective. Add to that he would need to buy more RAM and a better processor to truely get a decent machine and he would be better buying a new machine. Also I imagine adding a graphics card with dedicated memory would create its own problems.

I think ill stick 2 the moving round dots, retro! My laptop is brilliant for 2D and processing between days is quicker than you think, when you look at my system. I can do a month in 45 minutes without any distractions i.e. Cod4 :D

Thanks guys for your comments, it was just a quick thread to see if i needed any upgrades to my laptop, but ill stick with 2D :)

I have changed alot of laptop mainboards in my time and I've never come across a laptop graphics card that could easily be removed so I imagine it would be a modification rather than an upgrade.

Go on to youtube and have a look for yourself. It seems reasonably straight forward to me.

If you have XP, your can't use more than 3GB RAMQUOTE]

3.25 to be exact;) but yeah, bear this in mind if you decide to buy more ram and also check the expansion slots to see just how much ram the motherboard can actually take.

To be honest though i'd look at buying a new computer as you can't polish a turd.

Isn't there an Xp 64 bit version that can handle 4GB of ram, or it's win vista the only one?

football manager is processor intensive rather than video card or ram.

you need a new cpu, a celeron is bad by any standards. Ram would help but not as much as a new processor. May as well get a new core 2 processor and a bit more ram. Cos as said, ram is very cheap and 32bit windows could only handle 2-3 gigs of ram anyway.

as for video card theres not much need if you're not playing modern 3D games. There's 3D in Football manager, but the graphics looks like they are from 10 years ago. As for 2D performance, one card is pretty much the same as the other.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived