Gamer vs Football Fan

Recently the football fan in me is taking over more than the gamer. Maybe it's a getting older thing, but enjoying the game for being realistic is becoming more fun and important to me than winning.

I used to power through the seasons, playing FM as purely an addictive game. But with the start of the new football season I now find myself watching full 90 minute games on big screen TV, taking ages before clicking continue to take in the full atmosphere and environment of the game and what's going on round the world and really immersing myself in the game.

Apart from press conferences. I still refuse to attend them.

That's good to hear.

I know many others, turn the sound off, I stop the music in the backround. When the game match begins, I like to be immersed as there game years I become more and more attatched to players that have moved on, keeping interactions with AI managers. Having a snoop around other teams that I've managed and so one. Even watch the odd game. For teams that don't even manage any more.

The more attention to deal is where it's at I no longer power on through game seasons I now take a more methodical approach to the game, than what I used to do beforehand.

I think its a age think, mostly. :) - I'm going through the same process - Though not quite there yet! :) - Still like the odd continue-raging game.

in FM2010 I'll create the Faroese league and start, what I call a "serious" game with Havnar Bóltfelag. No continue-rage there! :D

I find that the game over recent years has slowly coerced you into trying to be more of a real manager. Gone are the days you could pick one tactic and that would do for half a season. Now I find you have to constantly tinker with a whole range of things between matches just to keep a good run going. That's the way it should be, imo. I'm enjoying Football Manager now more than I have for many years.

I very rarely get through more than 2 season before the next release is out, I generally manage England and spend hours looking through the English leagues for young players to bring into the u18/u21 teams. I can generally list the top and bottom few teams in each division in England to the BSP and also the teams flying high in France,Germany,Holland,Italy,Spain & Scotland! (sad I know!!) Only problem is i often mix up FM & real life in the pub stating that a certain player will do well at his new club when IRL he has gone nowhere!!

The major side i like (apart from obviously managing) is taking my time working through the finances. Its always been a big part of my games, getting the most succes with minimal outlay. I always like building up a massive cash balance in the hope that, one day, i may get a new stadium named after me :(

The major side i like (apart from obviously managing) is taking my time working through the finances. Its always been a big part of my games, getting the most succes with minimal outlay. I always like building up a massive cash balance in the hope that, one day, i may get a new stadium named after me :(

I long since gave up trying to do that one after 20 seasons of uber success with Benfica selling out every game and having several hundred mill in the bank, still no stadium :(

Then again, maybe Fergie is wondering why Utd haven't built a new stadium named after him.

How can you be immersed clicking continue every 5 seconds?

I cannot, but of course I don't. There is certain a threshold below which obviously you cannot be immersed because you don't actually do anything.

Just wanted to express that watching games in full-match mode isn't necessary for me to feel immersed, nor do I need to watch the weekly goals, nor do I need to check results in Spain, Italy and Germany each weekend (as I do irl) and so on. I DO have issues with immersion, but they are not connected to time (actually time is what sould not be needed to be immersed).

It's not like real life where I can tell you all the latest transfers, who is the manager at what club, where things go well and where not and so on. Spending lots of time might get you around that a bit, but this certainly should not be necessary. At the same time I cannot expect a game to be as immersive as rl. I'm looking forward to the new media options and hope for important improvements here. :)

Archived