Going over the wage bill - Job risk?

I'm currently managing AFC Wimbledon and I'm in the Blue Square Premier (3rd season). I'm top of the league and have been very sucessful, with the financial future of the club secured by a FA Cup 3rd Round tie against Aston Villa at Villa Park.

My wage budget is £10,000 p/w and I've just signed 5 players on free transfers that has put me at £12,000 p/w. This is the only area the board are unhappy with me with my job security at 72% (Very Secure). My 2 highest paid players (both on £900 p/w) are not my best so I could let them go (there is interest), but for depth reasons I want to keep them.

How strict is this game when you go over the wage bill? Is there a chance i could get sacked for this alone or am I safe (taking the above factors into consideration). I can afford this wage bill as my bank balance is around £450,000. I'm asuming it's Ok but I wanted some clarity!

Any helpful replies appreciated. Thanks.

I've went over the wage budget a couple of times as Chesterfield manager and I never got fired. If you do what's expected of you or better you'll be fine, but keep in mind the board will be less lenient if you're struggling.

If you have any transfer money left over then you could transfer some of this to your wage bill so you are no longer over the limits.

I've done that. Reduced my transfer busget to next to nothing. I've got it down to £11,600 now. Board are still a bit unhappy about it though.

I still think you'll be o.k. I will be even better for you if you can get your team promoted.

Yeah, I'm definatly on course. I suppose signing those 5 players to go over the wage bill is the risk I've taken to hopefully ensure promotion!

i try to always have 5 loan players in the squad at all times in the lower leagues and it has helped me never have to go over my wage budget. with FCUM in the BSP as well my wage budget is only 5k but im under it by 500p/w due to having 5 starters on loan from man utd

The board might get a bit unhappy, and it might contribute to getting the sack if other factors are involved; but on its own just going over-budget will mostl likely result in the board heavily restricting your expenditure. They might block any contract extensions, or any more free signings by not allowing any wages.

I would definitely sell those players with big wages that are not in the first eleven, you can probably find some young prospects or old veterans that will come as back up or you could get someone on loan as back up but don't ask the assistant manager to sort out unrealistic targets for loan, just get a list of all England listed loans and offer to all that you think are good for you 0% percent in wages and you'll get at least one or two of those that your assistant says are not interested in playing for you (and postpone their transfer for a week in order to see the answer from all players that you want to sign on loan)

The board might get a bit unhappy, and it might contribute to getting the sack if other factors are involved; but on its own just going over-budget will mostl likely result in the board heavily restricting your expenditure. They might block any contract extensions, or any more free signings by not allowing any wages.

Exactly. I've been over my wage budget four straight seasons now, and not gotten the sack - my performances on the pitch have justified my means.

However, now I have real problems brewing: the board actually cut my acceptable wage budget this season - despite me earning promotion last year! Many of my players are under contract only through the end of the year. I want to give contract extensions, but the board limits their salaries to much less than they're making now. I tried selling a couple, but just made them unhappy for no gain. I'm dreading the end of the season!

The point really is that there is a wages tab in the confidence section. The average of all the bars equals your job security. If you go wildly over the wage bill the board will start putting quite punitive caps in to stop you from paying more than a pittance to new players. However, if your financial control is terrible AND you screw up in game performance then it all adds up and could get you sacked. But you'll never be sacked just for spending too much on wages.

Archived