How does FM calculate fixture lists? Flawed system?

As we know irl, league fixtures are arranged as home/away games every second weekend. Due to European and Cup competitions, league games are often rescheduled meaning teams occasionally face 2 away league games in succession for example. (The Premier League try to avoid this if all possible)

I just started a new game in England and my first 2 League games are away. No Cup competetions could have influenced this at such an early stage.

The fixtures couldn't be randomised or else we would be seeing the odd 'five games away in a row' threads popping up on the boards! (Even though the probability of that is unlikely).

Has anyone else noticed anything strange with fixture lists?

As we know irl, league fixtures are arranged as home/away games every second weekend. Due to European and Cup competitions, league games are often rescheduled meaning teams occasionally face 2 away league games in succession for example. (The Premier League try to avoid this if all possible)

I just started a new game in England and my first 2 League games are away. No Cup competetions could have influenced this at such an early stage.

The fixtures couldn't be randomised or else we would be seeing the odd 'five games away in a row' threads popping up on the boards! (Even though the probability of that is unlikely).

Has anyone else noticed anything strange with fixture lists?

i have sometimes the biggest 4 teams back to back most years and yes a bit annoying but i do think it is just random fixture lists that simple really!

I agree. I often have rows of 3 or 4 home games followed by 3 or 4 away games. It is bizzare!

Really, league games? I have never come across such an extreme case before. I often have four away in a row but that includes European and Cup games aswel.

Would be interesting to know how the fixture lists are generated SI?

I'm fairly sure the Premier League don't schedule them alternately exactly, but I've never seen more than 3 home/away games in a row

Irl, a lot of organisation goes into the fixture lists such as ensuring that clubs from the same city don't have home games on the same day, eg. Utd and City, Liverpool and Everton

You have to occasionally get 2 homes or 2 aways in a row, otherwise you would only get to play half the teams in the league. Sometimes due to fixtures being moved I have had 5 homes on the trot, but this only happens because cup competitions interfere with the original structure. Have a look before any cup rounds are drawn, and I'm sure you wouldn't get 4 consecutive home or away games.

The only thing that has really annoyed me about FM fixtures lists is the way SPL split fixtures are calculated.

I'm sick of playing as Celtic and going to Ibrox 3 times a season. Theoretically it's possible but it would never be scheduled due to the uproar that would ensue.

As we know irl, league fixtures are arranged as home/away games every second weekend.

That would be farcical.

Team A plays home-away-home-away etc

Team B also plays home-away-home-away

When do they ever get to play each other?

That would be farcical.

'Closer each day, Home and Away':o

In response to your post it could go- Away, Home, Away, Home

- Home, Away, Home, Away.

Thats how ;)

I started a thread a while back regarding away fixtures but mine incorporated cup games too. I had four away league games in a row yet strangely i didn't have 4 home games in a row. I always seemed to get drawn away in the cups too...people came to the conclusion that it was just the luck of the draw.

AwayCupdraws1.jpg

strangely, my local team (in real life) Buxton, had 5 away games in a row. last season away...fans kept singing "Buxton on tour" songs....

Out of the 1st 20 games of the season, 13 were away

'Closer each day, Home and Away':o

In response to your post it could go- Away, Home, Away, Home

- Home, Away, Home, Away.

Thats how ;)

You're either being obtuse or your sarcasm is incredibly subtle. Which is it?

That would be farcical.

Im making the point that fixture lists are arranged so that teams dont play 2 consecutive home games or 2 consecutive away games.

Obviously at the start of the EPL season 10 teams are at home and 10 are away. The following week the 10 home are away and vica versa.

Surely you can understand what I was getting at in my op?

You're either being obtuse or your sarcasm is incredibly subtle. Which is it?

I was merely stating that there is a way and proving your theory wrong, no need to come back at me like that. You could just accept that there is a way.

It's not possible, in a league with an even number of teams, for all the following conditions to be met:

A) Every team plays every other team

B) Every match in each round is played simultaneously

C) No team ever has two home matches or two away matches in a row

It is, however, possible - and easy, once you know the technique - to slightly relax C so that teams only go "out of sequence" twice in any one season.

I was merely stating that there is a way and proving your theory wrong, no need to come back at me like that. You could just accept that there is a way.

Then you were being obtuse. If you have a 20 team league then week 1 ten must play at home and ten away.

If you insist that fixtures must always alternate home-away-home-away (or vice versa) then the same ten teams will always play at home on the same week as each other, and therefore they could never play each other.

Teams have to play consecutive home/away games to make the league system work.

Archived