How come do Liechenstein not have a team enter the Champions League?

Liechtenstein Cup 2008–09 is the sixty-fourth season of Liechtenstein's annual cup competition. Seven clubs compete with a total of eighteen teams for one spot in the second qualifying round of the UEFA Europa League. Defending champions are FC Vaduz, who have won the cup continuously since 1998.

A team from Liechtenstein would have to win the Uefa Cup to qualify for the champions league :thup:

Teams from Liechtenstein play in the Swiss League System, so would have to qualify for the Champions League through that. They have a UEFA Cup place due to there being a Liechtenstein Cup. I think this is the reason :thup:

EDIT: They can't qualify for the CL, even if they win the Swiss League. They're not allowed to be Swiss Champions as one of the conditions of participating, so have to rely on the Liechtenstein Cup to qualify.

Maybe, I am pretty useless with Football outside England.

Yeah they did win the league that season, although they did not win the most recent completed season, or even come runners up. FC Rubin Kazan won the league, with CSKA 2nd and Dynamo Moscow at 3rd. Not sure where Zenit finished.

Edit* they finished 5th, just enough for an Europa League place.

Not really, it would be unfair if teams from other countries went into new leagues and started taking all the privileges.

To be fair, Vaduz, currently in the Swiss Super League, played in the 2nd tier for a while, and have earned their place in the top flight. Although they can't really be called champions of Switzerland if they ever win the top flight, as they're not a Swiss team.

Anyway, Vaduz get into the Uefa Cup every year through the Liechtenstein Cup. They've never got through the Qualifying Rounds, so in the Champions League they'd struggle as well.

They should be aloud to play because Leichenstein isn't big enough to have there own league whilst Wales is.

If Vaduz were to finish in one of the CL places in the Swiss League, it would be up to the Swiss FA to decide whether to allow them to take one of their places. As part of Vaduz's agreement with them though, they won't be allowed to take a Swiss place. It makes sense on the part of the Swiss FA, as they obviously want more Swiss teams competing in Europe. And also Vaduz agreed on this, knowing that they're pretty much guaranteed a Uefa Cup place every year anyway.

A difference between the Welsh and Liechtensteiner clubs are that the Welsh clubs playing in England only take part in English competitions - they used to play in the Welsh Cup, but not anymore. Liechtensteiner clubs all play in their own cup.

Is it nothing to do with Coefficients or World Rankings?

World Rankings mean nothing when coming to qualification for European competitions. It's down to coefficients, but I'm fairly sure that even if a team from Liechtenstein was to win the Uefa Cup several years in a row and improve their coefficient, they will never be able to have a CL place due to not having a National League.

What about Toronto FC? Would TFC be eligible to automatically get a spot if they win MLS? Or would they have to win the Canadian Championship to qualify?

Technically, Canada have their own league (Canadian Soccer League)...

What about Toronto FC? Would TFC be eligible to automatically get a spot if they win MLS? Or would they have to win the Canadian Championship to qualify?

Champions League is only European Teams.

i dont think a team from liechenstein will ever win the swiss league anyway

It's probably unlikely, Vaduz are currently in their 1st season in the top division, and are 5 points adrift at the bottom. It doesn't help that they don't get a fair share of money from the league.

I'm not sure about this, I'm not familiar with the regulations of the NACL ;)

Can't find anything about this on the CONCACAF site.

I should'a known you'd out-smart me.

:(

Don't mess with MLS expert. ;)

Although I've only played a grand total of one season in MLS in FM09 :rolleyes:. I haven't gotten far with TFC so I wouldn't know...and the real life team didn't win any trophies yet...

well what about Cardiff &/or Swansea in England?
According to Uefa, teams like this can play in Europe as European countries are allowed to nominate teams even if they don't play within its boundaries.

From my understand from the previous threads regarding the Welsh teams in England, UEFA will only let teams that are affiliated with the country they play in qualify for Europe, so as the Welsh times are still affilated to the Welsh FA, but the FA Cup (and Premiership) are under the English FA they aren't allowed to qualify for Europe, but teams such as Gretna and TNS were whilst both being located in England they were affilated to the SFA and FAW.

There was something in the news a while back about Cardiff and Swansea wanting to switch from the FAW to the English FA.

The game doesn't have this block in, and allows Cardiff etc... to play in Europe.

I read an article today on BBC Sport with quotes from the head of the FAW saying he wouldn't allow Cardiff or Swansea to be affiliated with the English FA, because it just isn't allowed and they would need special dispensation from UEFA. It also said that in theory it could go to court if Cardiff or Swansea wanted it that badly.

I would get the link but I'm not going on BBC Sport at the moment bacuase I don't want to know any Premiership scores.

Here's the link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_of_wales/8028480.stm (there's no scores on the page at the moment).

Not sure where the FAW's stance is coming from unless something has changed recently, according to wikipedia the merging of TNS and Oswestry Town had no input from the English FA, despite Oswestry being based in England (Though a founding member of the FAW - so the FAW are happy to have a English club as a member, but aren't happy for Welsh teams to be members of the English FA), UEFA had a problem but apparently someone pointed out the Welsh/English history to them in an appeal and it was approved, as far as I'm aware UEFA never bothered about Berwick or Gretna (cannot find any infomation, so assume they didn't care), though Derry City did require permission from the (N)IFA and UEFA, if anything it's more than likely a ploy by Cardiff and Swansea to be allowed to enter reserve teams into the FAW Premier Cup to qualify for Europe through that.

I think the Canadians have their own qualifying tournament for the NACL?

From my understand from the previous threads regarding the Welsh teams in England, UEFA will only let teams that are affiliated with the country they play in qualify for Europe, so as the Welsh times are still affilated to the Welsh FA, but the FA Cup (and Premiership) are under the English FA they aren't allowed to qualify for Europe, but teams such as Gretna and TNS were whilst both being located in England they were affilated to the SFA and FAW.

From what I understand from doing a bit of reading around the subject yesterday, the English FA is allowed to nominate teams such as Cardiff and Swansea if they qualify through their competitions, and UEFA would allow them to compete. The FAW may be able to try and stop this, but UEFA could side with Cardiff or Swansea because they would have earned their right to compete.

'European countries are allowed to nominate teams even if they don't play within its boundaries'

This would allow the English FA to put forward Cardiff as a representative. Taken from UEFA's regulations:

'A licence applicant must be a registered member of the national association and/OR its affiliated league'.

What this means depends on the use of affiliated: does it mean they have to be a member of the league affiliated to the association they are a member of, or does it mean they can either be a member of the English FA OR the English league system? i.e a registered member of the league they are affiliated to? Hopefully a Welsh side will qualify for Europe soon through the English system, and provide some clarification from UEFA on the matter.

lol///It is about UEFA Coefficients . these are done for the countries after their results in european competitions in the last 5 years, but Lichtenstein would have to play with the national team to qualify once in the next Tour if they don't receive a team from ANdorra , monaco, Luxembourg or Countries like this... No ofence for the countries, but they are too small to have competitions in sports generally

Archived