Multiple Managers

i currently have 3 managers running on my save - liverpool and fiorentina as long-term projects, and one nomadic manager who i move once i feel i've accompolished something, currently at valenciennes.

i find it's practicable as it allows me to test different formations, learn more about different leagues, and develop lots of youth.

yes it does take a while for a season to end, but then i'm not particularly bothered about rushing through my game

I've done the lower league/top flight management duo thing as well. In terms of cheating, I very rarely buy players from the lower league club, and certainly never for more than the going rate, and only if I feel the top flight club has something to gain from the transfer. But I'll loan players to the lower league club and obviously the lower league club knows the second when a youngster is released from the top club so in effect has first refusal on him. It ends up like a parent/feeder club relationship. I'll also organise a friendly between the two once a year. But that's as far as it goes.

In my FM08 save (year 2027) I'm doing very well with Gillingham in the EPL, but want another challenge but am not yet ready to walk out of Gillingham so I may introduce a new manager to take over Crawley Town so that'll add a new dimension. It does take a little bit longer, particularly as I'm managing Italy as well. But it can be fun if done the right way.

IIRC my first campaign in FM07 was Chelsea and Bradford Park Avenue - i.e. the favourites to win the EPL and favourites for demotion from BSN. Apart from the first pre-season friendly which pitched them together (result 16-0 I think), they were entirely seperate entities. I enjoyed it for 2 seasons but the brain-ache from focussing on 2 campaigns, micro-managing all aspects and 'knowing' every squad member intimitely got to be too much of a strain in the end.

How it works is that when you click continue for one manager, the other manager comes up and you do what you do until you click continue for him/her. Practicable? As I say, ultimately for me not really, but if you have more powers of concentration and patience, maybe.

I cannot imagine how people can do this. Managing a club and a National Association concurrently I can imagine and have done so in the past. Managing two or more clubs at the same time, I just cannot do myself.

Within one club, I micro-manage everything, with the U18 team the only exception to this. Coupled with the amount of playing time I put in, I go through a season in about 3-4 weeks. Adding another club to the equation might cause me to quit FM altogether I think.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Think I'll stick to one team at a time.

you might as well give it a go on a different save ;). If you dont like it you can always refer back to your orginal save and no teams will be damaged due to you adding the manager and then retiring.

Im playing 12 teams at once (usually start with 5 in each BSS and BSN leagues and then 2 others) it keeps me from getting bored with 1 team and when i play against another team i just get assistant manager to pick and no team talks. Although im only in season 2011 in fm 2008, it does take a while to get going but keeps the longeivity of the game at a maximum for me.

Im playing 12 teams at once (usually start with 5 in each BSS and BSN leagues and then 2 others) it keeps me from getting bored with 1 team and when i play against another team i just get assistant manager to pick and no team talks. Although im only in season 2011 in fm 2008, it does take a while to get going but keeps the longeivity of the game at a maximum for me.

Blimey, that's well just insane.

i ALWAYS do this, have done it every since champ man days,

its gets too easy other wise and there are too many good players you dont get to have otherwise.

im always Inter, Newcastle and then some other, normally Bristol City.

After a few seasons i get Inter/Italy, Newcastle/England and Bristol/someother nation. then its really challenging.

its hard like during a newcastle v inter champ league final, its really like playing chess against yourself!

Archived