uefa cup qualification through carling cup?

im currently hull, midtable (9th) and have a tiny chance of getting to one of the uefa cup qualifying places come end of season, however i am in the final of the carling cup.

i had a look at the rules and the winner qualifies for the uefa cup..

im getting ahead of myself a bit, but the team im playing in the final is liverpool so they're expected to finish get a CL place (currently they're 4th). if i get beaten, will i qualify for europe next season assuming liverpool finish in a uefa cup or higher place?

or will their uefa cup place based on their league finish place get moved to the team below them?

Only the winners of both compititions qualify for the UEFA Europa League this is because FIFA changed the requirements for this runners-up rule. Beginning with the UEFA Europa League, the UEFA Cup place will be given to the highest finishing Premier League team that has not qualified for European competition if the winner of the FA Cup has already qualified. It is the same for the Carling Cup.

Winners of Carling Cup 2008–09 - Participate in the UEFA Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round

Winners of FA Cup 2008–09 - Participate in the play off round with the 35 winners from previous round along with 15 losers from the UEFA Champions League 2009-10 3rd qualifying round

5th placed team of Premier League 2008–09 - Also Participates in the play off round with the 35 winners from previous round along with 15 losers from the UEFA Champions League 2009-10 3rd qualifying round

The Groups stages will consist of

The UEFA Cup Defending champions

10 losers from the UEFA Champions League 2009–10 play-off round

37 winners from the play-off round

wouldn't be so sure if I were you. Not only did chelsea literally "throw" it away last year, but the league is so congested right now noone knows how it's gonna end up.

So you think Spures can win the Carling cup, or finish in the top 6 do you?

Only the winners of both compititions qualify for the UEFA Europa League this is because FIFA changed the requirements for this runners-up rule. Beginning with the UEFA Europa League, the UEFA Cup place will be given to the highest finishing Premier League team that has not qualified for European competition if the winner of the FA Cup has already qualified. It is the same for the Carling Cup.

Winners of Carling Cup 2008–09 - Participate in the UEFA Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round

Winners of FA Cup 2008–09 - Participate in the play off round with the 35 winners from previous round along with 15 losers from the UEFA Champions League 2009-10 3rd qualifying round

5th placed team of Premier League 2008–09 - Also Participates in the play off round with the 35 winners from previous round along with 15 losers from the UEFA Champions League 2009-10 3rd qualifying round

The Groups stages will consist of

The UEFA Cup Defending champions

10 losers from the UEFA Champions League 2009–10 play-off round

37 winners from the play-off round

Bollix.

No more West Ham or Millwall or Southampton in the UEFA Cup then.

Shame.

One more thing. UEFA never actually addresses the issue of the UEFA Cup holders qualifying for the Champions League. Who takes their place then?

In the past it simply went to the next best team in the winner's league. But now that 5th place team (or similar) have to play in the 'playoffs', would be a bit unfair for a team to jump straight into the group stage just because the winners aren't in it.

Isn't it going through the sporting play draw? I won the Uefa cup then qualified for the CL through the league and my spot was given to 13th reading.

Well if that is so then UEFA should be more clear about their rules.

Currently they're so confusing.

Archived