FMS Community Thread

Raptor

Being as how I'm currently casting around trying to reignite my enthusiasm for some version or other of CM/FM I actually reinstalled CM 01/02 last night. It was very pleasantly fast with 5 country's leagues loaded and I flew through pre-season and into the first 2 games of a season before closing down.

I guess I could get used to no 2-d pitch again - it would certainly lower my number of tantrums since I won't be able to see my players' idiotic mistakes as easily! Certainly it wasn't too easy either...true I didn't sign any players, but my young Aberdeen team lost both pre-season friendlies (at home) without scoring before getting thumped 3-0 at Motherwell and 0-3 at home by Celtic in the SPL icon_razz.gif

Mebee it's fair to say I haven't quite reignited a sufficient passion for CM 01/02 yet and might well return to the stodge of FM08 to lose every game there instead!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Wegason:

My biggest gripe about Football Manager 2008:

Why oh why can we not skip the opening credits?

Are they longer than 07? Have no plans to pick it up.

Aussies belting Sri Lanka in the cricket and Winona Ryder signed for Star Trek 11, BTW. Can life get any better? icon_cool.gif

FM2008 is a good game until you start you playing it!

I've actually had more fun playing EA's fifa manager and thats saying something, the CM08 demo isnt to bad either, not quite as indepth but its not to bad, a lot more playable than FM anyway, but its not that hard to do, FM is just effing ********.

Originally posted by HD:

The fans are so ungrateful! Their views on the thrillfest was that we "gave too many chances to our opponents" :/

Are you sure you read that properly?

I thought I saw

"The fans aren't sure a 1-4-5 is really the formation to go with..."

Just testing something folks

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

| Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| - | | Andriy Pyatov | GK | Good | 6-7-7-7 | 97% | 3 | - | 6.67 |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| - | | Bogdan Shust | GK | Good | 7 | 95% | - | - | - |

| - | | Volodymyr Yezerskiy | SW, D RC | Okay | 5-7 | 96% | 1 | - | 5.00 |

| - | | Dmytro Chygrynskyi | D RC | Superb | 7-8-6-7-7 | 88% | 3 | - | 7.00 |

| - | Inj | Tomáš Hübschman | D RC, DM | Superb | 6-6-7-7 | 88% | 3 | - | 6.67 |

| - | Fgn | Mariusz Lewandowski | D C, DM | Good | 6-7 | 97% | - | - | - |

| - | | Olexiy Polyanskyi | D C, DM | Good | 7 | 96% | - | - | - |

| - | Fgn | Flavius Stoican | D/WB R | Good | 6 | 94% | - | - | - |

| - | Fgn | Ilsinho | D/WB R, DM, M RC | Very Good | 7-7-7-6-8 | 79% | 3 | - | 7.00 |

| - | Fgn | Rãzvan Rat | D/WB L | Good | 6-7 | 95% | - | - | - |

| - | | Vyacheslav Shevchuk | D/WB L | Okay | 6-8-7 | 81% | 3 | - | 7.00 |

| - | Fgn | Darijo Srna | D/WB/M RL | Good | 6-6-7 | 93% | 0 (1) | - | 7.00 |

| - | Fgn | Igor Duljaj | DM | Very Good | 7-7-6-7-7 | 79% | 3 | - | 7.00 |

| - | | Volodymyr Pryyomov | AM RLC, F C | Very Good | 7-8-7 | 62% | 2 | - | 7.50 |

| - | Fgn | Nery Castillo | AM L, ST | Good | 7-7-8 | 74% | 3 | - | 7.33 |

| - | Fgn | Rafael van der Vaart | AM C | Superb | 8-6 | 75% | 2 | 1 | 7.00 |

| - | Fgn | Willian | AM C | Good | 6 | 95% | - | - | - |

| - | Fgn | Fernandinho | AM/F C | Good | 9 | 95% | - | - | - |

| - | Fgn | Jo | ST | Very Good | 8-8 | 74% | 2 | 2 | 8.00 |

| - | Fgn | Cristiano Lucarelli | ST | Very Good | 6-7-8-6 | 96% | 3 | - | 6.67 |

| - | Fgn | Luiz Adriano | ST | Very Good | 7-6-6-8 | 84% | 0 (2) | 1 | 7.00 |

| | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

Roqy - I think it looks better, I could never be arsed doing all the screen print and all that. I've got one of them memory stick things now though so it's a little easier, seen as I write on a different computer to which I play icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Amaroq:

LoL @sherm. I know how to do 'em that way, too, but I find I hate the format. So I do 'em manually.

HD, will you get around to dropping that 9-9 match into the FM-2008 Records Thread, they've still got 15 goals listed as the all-time best. icon_wink.gif

I've added it as highest scoring draw. Can't be arsed doing more, but feel free to make the edit for me icon_wink.gif

I'd much rather have a 9-9 draw than a 1-0 win! FM 08's defending appears to be at least as bad as FM 07 though icon_frown.gif I had the bright idea of trying out the specific marking option ( which I long ago rejected along with man marking in FM 07 ) in my opening Serie A match. I asked Gamberini to man-mark AC Milan's lone striker Amauri, but a half time score of Fiorentina 0-4 AC Milan with Amauri having netted the lot wasn't quite the effect I was aiming for icon_rolleyes.gif

Unfortunately my whole experience of FM 08 so far is one of idiotic defending with players taking no notice of my instructions at all, whilst AI teams seem to perform Herculean feats of defending icon_frown.gif Mind you, I did actually complete a whole season with Aberdeen back in CM 01/02 and they shipped goals like they were going out of fashion and only avoided relegation thanks to results elsewhere on the final day.

So I guess the overall conclusion is just that I'm a crap manager and should give up and go play tiddlywinks instead icon_smile.gif

Glam - I have to agree with you on the idiotic defending, it certainly is. I did get the patch though, and it's miles better. I think without the patch it is a big, as players don't close down/man mark etc. Another bug (which got my goat big-time) was the incredible number of disallowed goals per season (even per game)

Overall though, I'm quite fond of FM. The whole experience has been excellent icon_smile.gif Don't get me wrong, I still think FM05 was the best, while 06 and 07 were poor, but 08 is a close second behind 05 imo (not that its worth much icon_razz.gif)

By the way, has anyone else seen players taking the kick off on their own after an opposition goal?! It happened a few times during my Fiorentina vs Milan game. I don't know if it only happens when the team is playing one striker or not and it doesn't always happen, but it was quite amusing seeing Adrian Mutu stood in the centre circle on his own and just kick the ball to the side before running after it and then passing it!

Originally posted by sherm:

Overall though, I'm quite fond of FM. The whole experience has been excellent icon_smile.gif Don't get me wrong, I still think FM05 was the best, while 06 and 07 were poor, but 08 is a close second behind 05 imo (not that its worth much icon_razz.gif)

Nah I think 07 was good, I agree on 06 though, it was pretty rubbish. But FM 05 is the best by far icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by george94:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sherm:

Nah I think 07 was good, I agree on 06 though, it was pretty rubbish. But FM 05 is the best by far icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had 2 of my longest (and best probably) ever games in '06 so it can't have been all that bad, don't think I ever got fully into '05, although to be honest they all just roll into one in my memory once we are a few versions down the line!

I'm not sure if we have any "out" in FMS; there have been several in GQ, but they tend to "fly below the radar" about their gender due to the danger of getting mobbed by 200 teenage boys and followed around to every thread they post in.

icon_biggrin.gif I nearly weed myself laughing at that. We should invite some to come and join the forum and they could write a story about being the first female manager. Incidentally, have there been any female managers for male clubs?

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm thinking of starting a story sometime over this weekend possibly. Any hint or tips with how to work it? Styles? etc.

Lost at the bottom of page 6 so I'll re-post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you're not taking "Write it in haiku" seriously? icon_wink.gif

Hmmm, read the Story Ideas & Discussion Thread, its a lot of hints-aimed-at-new-writers. If you've specific questions thereafter, post to that thread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

I'm not sure if we have any "out" in FMS; there have been several in GQ, but they tend to "fly below the radar" about their gender due to the danger of getting mobbed by 200 teenage boys and followed around to every thread they post in.

icon_biggrin.gif I nearly weed myself laughing at that. We should invite some to come and join the forum and they could write a story about being the first female manager. Incidentally, have there been any female managers for male clubs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. Only physios iirc. Possibly a coach or two lower down the leagues.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm thinking of starting a story sometime over this weekend possibly. Any hint or tips with how to work it? Styles? etc.

Lost at the bottom of page 6 so I'll re-post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you're not taking "Write it in haiku" seriously? icon_wink.gif

Hmmm, read the Story Ideas & Discussion Thread, its a lot of hints-aimed-at-new-writers. If you've specific questions thereafter, post to that thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for that Roqy. icon14.gif

Very good.

This has nothing to do with anything but I was just wondering are there any female members of this forum. i certainly haven't met one. icon_wink.gif

Don't really know why you're winking.

One of our best writers was a female, but sadly she's left now. Then there was Christina Boston.

Atm there the only female is Raptor.

One other thing, I'd say - pick whatever it is you dislike about your favourite story.. and decide how you're going to do it better.

It could be as little as a mechanical thing, it could be as big as characterization, off-the-field-plot, whatever.

Likewise, cherry-pick a couple of the things that you like about each of the award-winners.

Archived