Total Football - A discussion.

Total Football. Everyone knows it, everyone has a different interpretation.

But how exactly is it set up?

Google it, I've seen at least 6 different lineups. I've seen a back 4, back 3 with a Libero, back 3. Even 2 at the back. 

What is it really? Eventually, I want to try and create my own idea of Total Football in FM, but, for now at least, I want to gather as much information and listen to the opinions of others before I begin. 

Very fluid attacking possession system played by 10 very wellrounded outfield players. Essentially 10 playmakers/defenders/finishers. Also to me you cannot have Total Football without 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1 DM shape. The best most balanced formation ideal for this style of football. Those passing triangles!

2 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Very fluid attacking possession system played by 10 very wellrounded outfield players. Essentially 10 playmakers/defenders/finishers. Also to me you cannot have Total Football without 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1 DM shape. The best most balanced formation ideal for this style of football. Those passing triangles!

This is the part that I'm keep to get stuck into. Retraining players and having strong foundations. 

From what I have read, 4 at the back seems more common when Total Football was taken to Barcelona. 

I, personally, believe that there is 2 types of Total Football. The Ajax incarnation and the one that revolutionised Barcelona. Finding the balance will be fun. 

9 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Yup combining the two approaches into a perfect possession system has been my quest for most of FM20

I've seen your threads. The amount of work people like you put in, and the detail in your threads is partly what inspires me to try to create my own tactic based on a classic. 

29 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I've seen your threads. The amount of work people like you put in, and the detail in your threads is partly what inspires me to try to create my own tactic based on a classic. 

Thanks mate, appreciate it! Knowing that it inspires people is what drives me to put out more content :D

I know these are for older versions of the game, but I reckon most of @Ö-zil to the Arsenal! principles would still apply to the quest of total football in FM 20. The very fluid concept played great football that was a joy to watch. In other words, total football.

As @crusadertsar said earlier, combining these two theories into one perfect system is the total football dream. 

Whether or not ideas from both can be merged into one super total football system is the ultimate challenge.

1 minute ago, TheresOnlyTwoFilipSebos said:

I know these are for older versions of the game, but I reckon most of @Ö-zil to the Arsenal! principles would still apply to the quest of total football in FM 20. The very fluid concept played great football that was a joy to watch. In other words, total football.

As @crusadertsar said earlier, combining these two theories into one perfect system is the total football dream. 

Whether or not ideas from both can be merged into one super total football system is the ultimate challenge.

I still read the thread Cleon did for FM14. There is so many class threads here to get inspiration from.

4 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Total Football. Everyone knows it, everyone has a different interpretation.

But how exactly is it set up?

It can be set up in different ways. I for example would probably use the wide 442 diamond formation if I were to try and create a TF tactic. 

Another formation I might consider is the 4123 wide, but with WBs (position) instead of FBs. 

1 minute ago, Experienced Defender said:

It can be set up in different ways. I for example would probably use the wide 442 diamond formation if I were to try and create a TF tactic. 

Another formation I might consider is the 4123 wide, but with WBs (position) instead of FBs. 

That's the beauty of it. I'm leaning towards a 4-1-2-3 as my main and a 4-1-2-3 (wb) as a variant. 

My main concern is leaving myself open defensively. That's why I'm researching the philosophy first 

11 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

My main concern is leaving myself open defensively

Increased defensive risk is inevitable in total football. Because the philosophy is not to score just one more, but as many (more) as possible. So if you want to play in such manner, the risk is something you simply have to accept :brock:

45 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Increased defensive risk is inevitable in total football. Because the philosophy is not to score just one more, but as many (more) as possible. So if you want to play in such manner, the risk is something you simply have to accept :brock:

What's life without a walk on the wild side? 

Ok, below is a quote from Johan Cruyff which would emply that passing would set to 'much shorter'. 

“Do you know how Barcelona win the ball back so quickly? It’s because they don’t have to run back more than 10 meters as they never pass the ball more than 10 meters.”

With a higher defensive line to compact play, would this, in theory, replicate the above quote? 

34 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Ok, below is a quote from Johan Cruyff which would emply that passing would set to 'much shorter'. 

“Do you know how Barcelona win the ball back so quickly? It’s because they don’t have to run back more than 10 meters as they never pass the ball more than 10 meters.”

With a higher defensive line to compact play, would this, in theory, replicate the above quote? 

Well Cruyff was never afraid go direct if necessary. An example, Ronald Koeman bringing the ball out and hitting accurate long range passes usually to the wing to shift the opponent. 

Or if they draw the opponent out then a long ball into space for a forward to pounce onto. 

In FM I would set passing to "shorter" and add "play out of defence". 

I would not add "work ball into box" as Cruyff was slightly more direct than Guardiola was.

You can play with wingers that cross more or inverted wingers or inside forwards. Those 2 roles influence how direct you will play in the final 3rd. "Work ball into box" affects crossing and long shots. Roles and duties can do this for you instead. The main thing is short passing and play out of defence. Then depending on the game situation you can adjust the forward roles. 

Edited by 3LionsFM
Spelling