Downward compatible Database Relase with FM21

ProfessionalTD

Following the recommendation of a moderator to post my request in the request forum, I would like to have a downward compatible database from FM21 on (supported FM17 and higher). Let's be honest: in times of faster and faster release cycles where new features have to be added to the latest version of a game without even having had the time to completely clean the predecessor from bugs, SI will face more and more criticism of the FM-ME every year anyway. Since many users were apparently satisfied with previous ME, it would only make sense to include a downward-compatible database update free of charge with the purchase of the latest FM version (just like the FM20 Touch is included with the purchase of FM20). This way you would get your latest FM version, which (if the ME is better than FM20) might even be praised and played -> and if not, then the users have the possibility to start their favorite version of FM and play with the current data before they complain about the bad ME in the forum for weeks. These of course include all data as the latest FM version contains (starting year, injury data, attributes, transfers etc.), but without being forced to play with a new ME or features. SI don't lose any money, have less critics, the players have their favorite ME and still the latest data -> Win-Win? From my point of view: "yes". Personally, I don't see any argument against it -> especially when I look at how the "release" of the FM-Touch is handled.

I don't understand the question. No new attributes have been added since FM17, right? That means the old ME worked with exactly the same data as the newer ones. Just because the attribute values are updated, which year is current according to the database and what the fixture list or the participants of the respective leagues look like, doesn't mean that old FM parts should contain new roles or vice versa -> it's just a matter of having the current data for the old FM parts ;-) Hope I could express myself a bit clearer or you have to explain what you mean in more in detail :-P

@wkdsoul

Edited by ProfessionalTD

I want to be able to use the database (and only the database) of the FM20 in FM17, FM18 or FM19 (depending on which version the players prefer) -> nothing more. So none of the new mechanics, roles or features -> just the data, and the current year. It can't be that difficult to realize. And if somebody really thinks it can't be done for free, then they should offer the database for the old parts as DLC. I'd rather pay for it than being annoyed for months with a ME that I don't like.

@wkdsoul

Edited by ProfessionalTD

I haven't thought about licensing yet, but I guess SI buys the licenses to use them for one year and not just to use them for one game (speaking from a layman's point of view). So it seems to me theoretically at least no problem why they should not bring the data for older versions in the same year. 

If you have any information on who I can contact to get the updated data you mentioned, please give me feedback again.

Nevertheless you have to admit that SI would surely have less trouble if they would make the database available for their old FM versions, because then the players would be less upset about the current ME ;-)

I really like this idea. I recently posted suggesting the exact opposite, ie automatically including previous databases in each new game. The amount of work it must take to rate every single attribute of every player of teams across the World is phenomenal, it seems crazy to just throw all that out for next years game and start again. But it would be great to have it backwards compatible also as you suggest, because my desktop can only run FM17 and earlier, so having the 18/19/20 databases would be a great addition.

• 2 months later...

Just a thought.

How about they drop releasing FM21, now that there will probably be a chaotic situation in the football world. They focus all their effort to overhaul the ME for FM22, they got 1,5 year or so to do it. Just release some transfer updates and such until then.

Pros for this would be they won't need to adress each single nations different response to the covid19 pandemic, they don't need to do much in regards of the competitions like Euro 2020 and Olympics 2020 and probably others too.

• 2 months later...