Belgium - European Places Playoff

I am playing in Belgium now and trying to figure out the European Places Playoff. What happens on FM is the bottom 10 teams in the top tier and the top 6 teams in the 2nd tier play in this European Places Playoff. (The top 6 teams in the top tier play in a championship playoff) The teams play until there is a final between two teams. Then the winner plays against the 4th place team from the championship playoff to determine the last team to get a continental position.

Or at least I thought that's how it works.

europeplayoffs.jpg.91fc9cc36c600b68879948cdcda05f47.jpg

But in 13 years, only 5 times has the team that won that European Places Playoff advanced to play the 4th placed team for the final spot for Europe. It appears that the final means nothing. I wondered if it might be the winner couldn't qualify for Europe due to stadium reasons but Antwerp has advanced one year and another year didn't.

I don't know if this is a bug or working as it should. But I can't figure out what might be happening. Any theories?

Edited by jstu9

37 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

I'll take a look at my save when I get home tonight, should obviously always be the winner who advances. :)

Thank you. Yeah you'd think that would be the case but at least in my save it isn't. And I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing (or if its some bug).

8 hours ago, jstu9 said:

Thank you. Yeah you'd think that would be the case but at least in my save it isn't. And I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing (or if its some bug).

Check all my seasons and every time, the team that won the final went to the Euro Cup II the next season.  If you feel like it's bugged anyway, your best bet is to create a thread in the bugs forum and upload your save so they can take a look at it. 

2 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

Check all my seasons and every time, the team that won the final went to the Euro Cup II the next season.  If you feel like it's bugged anyway, your best bet is to create a thread in the bugs forum and upload your save so they can take a look at it. 

The match you refer to is the 2nd Final which contests the 4th place team from the Championship Playoffs against the winner of the "1st" Final, the final of the European Places Playoff. My question is about this 1st Final, the team that advances is not always the team that wins that.

13 hours ago, jstu9 said:

The match you refer to is the 2nd Final which contests the 4th place team from the Championship Playoffs against the winner of the "1st" Final, the final of the European Places Playoff. My question is about this 1st Final, the team that advances is not always the team that wins that.

If that is the case that the winner of the "European Places Playoff" doesn't advance to compete against the 4th placed team, then raise it in the bugs forum. But before you do, check which teams won the cup (or played the final), because it could be that if the winner of the "European Places Playoff" final already holds a ticket to an European competition, the loser advances to play against the 4th placed team...

Yes, i know, it's complicated :)

13 hours ago, jstu9 said:

Just checked it and it's the winning team every time. Keep in mind it's a home and away final with two games though, so there's two matches and an aggregate score.

1 hour ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

If that is the case that the winner of the "European Places Playoff" doesn't advance to compete against the 4th placed team, then raise it in the bugs forum. But before you do, check which teams won the cup (or played the final), because it could be that if the winner of the "European Places Playoff" final already holds a ticket to an European competition, the loser advances to play against the 4th placed team...

Yes, i know, it's complicated :)

1 hour ago, KlaaZ said:

Just checked it and it's the winning team every time. Keep in mind it's a home and away final with two games though, so there's two matches and an aggregate score.

In 30/31, Charleroi beat Waasland-Beveren 2-1 and 1-0. W-B advanced to the final against AA Gent and won. W-B played in Euro Cup II the following year. Charleroi had lost in the Semi-Final of the Cup in 30/31and did not play in Europe in 31/32.

In 31/32 Antwerp beat STVV 2-0 and 1-0. STVV advanced to the final and lost to AA Gent. AA Gent played in Euro Cup II the next year, STVV did not. Antwerp did not play any continental comp. They went out in the 6th rd of the Cup. Antwerp did play in the 2nd tier that year though I don't see why that would make a difference (Charleroi from above is in the top tier).

This past season 32/33, Zulte Waragem won on penalties against STVV 5-5 on aggregate. And they advanced! And lost to perennial AA Gent (AA Gent likes to play in these matches I guess).

53 minutes ago, jstu9 said:

In 30/31, Charleroi beat Waasland-Beveren 2-1 and 1-0. W-B advanced to the final against AA Gent and won. W-B played in Euro Cup II the following year. Charleroi had lost in the Semi-Final of the Cup in 30/31and did not play in Europe in 31/32.

In 31/32 Antwerp beat STVV 2-0 and 1-0. STVV advanced to the final and lost to AA Gent. AA Gent played in Euro Cup II the next year, STVV did not. Antwerp did not play any continental comp. They went out in the 6th rd of the Cup. Antwerp did play in the 2nd tier that year though I don't see why that would make a difference (Charleroi from above is in the top tier).

This past season 32/33, Zulte Waragem won on penalties against STVV 5-5 on aggregate. And they advanced! And lost to perennial AA Gent (AA Gent likes to play in these matches I guess).

I'm from Belgium and know the (strange) system but please send me some screenshots so i can understand what happened (PM me).

It looks like a bug but i'm not sure.

1 hour ago, jstu9 said:

If this is true, raise it please in the bugs forum 'cause this should not happen

• 5 months later...