Young players who develop later

mikcheck

Hello,

Did it ever happen to you having a young player (17/18 y old)  with potential that only starts to develop his attributes around 20?

I have some cases where I have players with very little progress for about 2/3 years, but then they start to have some growth spurt in their attributes when they turn 20, even though they have decent training and game time in U18 squad. I have a player who only started to happen when he was 22, until then little progress was made.

Is this normal to happen?

Edited by mikcheck

On 31/10/2019 at 17:36, mikcheck said:

Maybe it's related with that, who knows.

It happens in real life.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy was a very late bloomer, only really started coming to prominance at the age of 22 when he joined PSV and started scoring goals for fun. Before that he had been ok for Heerenveen but nothing spectacular (13 goals in 31 apps). He joined United when he was 24/25 (my memory isnt the best) and only then did you really start seeing the best of him at the top level.

I know FM tries to replicate that with some players, they are decent to a point, then get good game time and just explode.

Drogba is probably another great example, until the season with Marsille before he went to Chelski (I think he was 24 too) he hardly tore the world up.

Yeah, can echo this with Tahith Chong on my game last year. Didn't seem to be too good, but got a couple of good loans, and suddenly he improved drastically. Then a loan to Chelsea as a first teamer, and he started showing and living upto his potential. Finally, in the fifth year, he got a run in my first team - kept Leon Bailey out of the team (sold him). Chong basically had extremely intelligent movement, exploited spaces and always turned up in the right places for a goal - he had about 20 that year and 12 assists. It was one of the highlights of the save.

I've not really noticed it previous years but I have noticed this year that signing a player who is 19/20 he has gone into my reserves but I'm signing him for 1st team at that age so maybe they will develop later in this years game?

I've always been of the opinion of OP, if they aren't developing by 19/20 then I'm selling them/avoiding them.

I remember at the beginning of FM19 one of the features announced was that player development would be less linear - you'd have more early peaks and late bloomers rather than everyone developing in that uniform manner where if you got them a decent tutor they'd be world class by 21. 

I've never noticed it because I tend to cut guys loose, and to be fair in a 5 season Lyon save there's only been three guys where I've thought that maybe I should've held onto them, and in each case they were cut loose more because of squad depth and loan restrictions rather than their potential looking rubbish. 

24 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

I remember at the beginning of FM19 one of the features announced was that player development would be less linear - you'd have more early peaks and late bloomers rather than everyone developing in that uniform manner where if you got them a decent tutor they'd be world class by 21. 

Reeeeeeeeally?

Did not know this. I was beginning to think it was strange that my scouts said a 23 year old ranked 2.5 stars still could become a 4 star player. I'd consider him over the hill at that point for training but was now questioning if that was still the case.

55 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Reeeeeeeeally?

Did not know this. I was beginning to think it was strange that my scouts said a 23 year old ranked 2.5 stars still could become a 4 star player. I'd consider him over the hill at that point for training but was now questioning if that was still the case.

Yeah I’d maybe look back at the FM19 threads to make sure I’m not misremembering this, but I’m about 70% sure I’m right.
It depends on the quality of your scouts - I would still only sign that guy if my scouts had great JPP and he already had attributes in the right places.

Edited by zlatanera

1 minute ago, zlatanera said:

Yeah I’d maybe look back at the FM19 threads to make sure I’m not misremembering this, but I’m about 70% sure I’m right.
It depends on the quality of your scouts - I would still only sign that guy if my scouts had great JPP and he already had attributes in the right places.

Nah I do believe you'll be right as was beginning to have doubts about how I was thinking regarding player development due to my scouts and a few things I saw.

Well, this is interesting to know, I will have to extend my search filters to 16 to 22 maybe when searching for young talent.

3 hours ago, metallimuse said:

Nah I do believe you'll be right as was beginning to have doubts about how I was thinking regarding player development due to my scouts and a few things I saw.

Well, this is interesting to know, I will have to extend my search filters to 16 to 22 maybe when searching for young talent.

I normally search 15-23, as 23 is the latest a player is considered “Young” - both in terms of board philosophies (sign / develop young players) and in terms of being able to be mentored. 

I would only sign a 23 year old expecting big growth if he was rated as having 2 stars of growth, given potential estimates tend to get downgraded once they arrive at the club, but that’s just me. 

Factor in the division they’re playing in - it’s more likely if they’re coming from a weaker division and/or team with worse training facilities that there’ll be growth left in them than if you transfer between two clubs of equal quality facilities in the same division, I’d assume.