Just bought FMT19 on Ipad

Hi all,

I've just purchased FM Touch on my ipad, I play mostly the full version on my PC but with it being on offer and having a 2 week holiday booked in August I thought now could be a good time to buy FMT and see what it has to offer for a quicker game.  So I just have a few questions/comments and would like some feedback. 

1)  I have a football mad 7 year old son, have any of you guys used FMT to introduce them to more of a tactical side to the game?  He plays a lot of fifa, we watch a lot of football on TV and he's been to a fair few City games with me but would now like to get him interested in why things happen in the game and how they set up ... and not just dribbling through a full team with Laporte and smacking one in from 30 yards :) 

2) The 30 season limit?  Is this across both ipad and PC versions?  I doubt very much I'll get near the limit but if I did get close and wanted to carry on, could I on PC or is that it completely? 

3)  Is there anything major I need to look out for in terms of bugs?  I've read in the past about stability issues so I'll make sure I save it a lot. 

4)  Finally, for a save in England (I probably will start with City if playing with my son) what are the best 2 leagues to load with it? 

Thanks for anyone who comments, I am definitely interested in your replies! 

Like @dap1987, I’ve just purchased FM19 Touch for my iPad. I’ve always played the full version on my laptop so this is completely new to me. I only really have two questions:

1) What’s a sensible amount of leagues to load?

2) How does the FM Touch version differ from the full PC / laptop version?

Many thanks.

All replies, appreciated.

2 hours ago, dap1987 said:

Hi all,

I've just purchased FM Touch on my ipad, I play mostly the full version on my PC but with it being on offer and having a 2 week holiday booked in August I thought now could be a good time to buy FMT and see what it has to offer for a quicker game.  So I just have a few questions/comments and would like some feedback. 

1)  I have a football mad 7 year old son, have any of you guys used FMT to introduce them to more of a tactical side to the game?  He plays a lot of fifa, we watch a lot of football on TV and he's been to a fair few City games with me but would now like to get him interested in why things happen in the game and how they set up ... and not just dribbling through a full team with Laporte and smacking one in from 30 yards :) 

2) The 30 season limit?  Is this across both ipad and PC versions?  I doubt very much I'll get near the limit but if I did get close and wanted to carry on, could I on PC or is that it completely? 

3)  Is there anything major I need to look out for in terms of bugs?  I've read in the past about stability issues so I'll make sure I save it a lot. 

4)  Finally, for a save in England (I probably will start with City if playing with my son) what are the best 2 leagues to load with it? 

Thanks for anyone who comments, I am definitely interested in your replies! 

Welcome to the forums! 

I play almost exclusively on the iPad version so feel I can answer your questions pretty accurately.

1) A few years ago I started showing my then 8 year old brother what I did and why I did it on FM. Little tactical things like why I used my complete wing backs to attack (showed him space creation, overloads & passing triangles), easing off tackles when booked and making adjustments and changes depending on the score line and time left on the clock. 

He isn’t football mad but seemed to understand and enjoyed watching the match engine.

2) 30 season limit is just on the iPad. You can cross save (cloud) and then continue on the PC after the 30 year iPad limit.

3) bug wise, I have auto save set to every week and I save before and after every match. This is because I’ve found that most crashes happen during or after a match. That said, the game seems very stable and I have only had 1 crash in the 500 or so hours I’ve played this year. 

4) Consider that on the iPad, you can only pick 3 countries so the accompanying leagues depend on what you want out of your game. For example; I decided at the start of my Sheff Utd save I can only use/sign UK and Irish players. Therefore I loaded up Scotland and Ireland as my additional leagues. 

If you’d prefer lots of South American regens to sign, Brazil and Argentina would be better. 

Decide what you think would benefit the save most and go with that.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any further questions and I’ll try to help. Enjoy the game (it’s brilliant!)

That is perfect! Thanks @BuryBlade

Happy about the 30 season limit question, I think that would be a massive game killer if the option to carry on wasn't there. 

I will definitely consider what kind of save I want before picking the other 2 leagues :)  Just one more question, if you don't mind, what about database size?  Is it like the full version where you can add to it or is it just Small, Medium, Large? 

Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, Stuniverse said:

Like @dap1987, I’ve just purchased FM19 Touch for my iPad. I’ve always played the full version on my laptop so this is completely new to me. I only really have two questions:

1) What’s a sensible amount of leagues to load?

2) How does the FM Touch version differ from the full PC / laptop version?

Many thanks.

All replies, appreciated.

Again, welcome to the forum!

1)  on the iPad you can only pick 3 countries. See my answer in my previous response as to how I decided on my 3 countries for my save. 

2) The difference between the two games in my opinion really comes down to the removal of certain responsibilities from full fat FM. Press conferences, most player interactions, most media duties, training, tactic cohesion and a more streamlined morale system.

There is far less feeling that you have to do lots of admin between matches compared to full fat FM. The core of the game is the same wonderful proposition, and you can delegate most things to staff if you want to cut down on responsibility further. 

I find that on the iPad, I can do a full season every few days (real life time) and I still control every little detail of my team/club and heavily scout and search for players myself. 

I also think it looks better visually on the iPad. Less clutter in screen, just key info in the right places.

The only things I miss are youth intake size - you only get small intakes on FMT compared to the full game and not having the full training module. The full fat training module is one of the best things SI have ever implemented - @Seb Wassell I believe you are to thank for this! - on the iPad it is a far more basic module. I miss having the full control of every training session. 

Again, any further questions please do reply.

3 minutes ago, dap1987 said:

That is perfect! Thanks @BuryBlade

Happy about the 30 season limit question, I think that would be a massive game killer if the option to carry on wasn't there. 

I will definitely consider what kind of save I want before picking the other 2 leagues :)  Just one more question, if you don't mind, what about database size?  Is it like the full version where you can add to it or is it just Small, Medium, Large? 

Thanks again. 

You’re very welcome. 

I believe that on the iPad, the only database size available is small. This is to maximise the processing speed/time.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, BuryBlade said:

on the iPad it is a far more basic module. I miss having the full control of every training session. 

It's actually not really, just the front end, ie: what you can choose. It works just as powerful as the AI would use it otherwise. Player progression is the same. 

You just lose the top tier micromanagement side of it, which is more prone to human error. In FMT you choose a "bias", which simply ensures your players concentrate on that training style slightly more than others. Other schedule types are still used depending on your match load, your tactical style, etc etc.

You can't go much wrong with the FMT module, but there's some room for improvement I think with making things a bit more clearer what is being trained week to week, even if you can't choose it. 

13 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It's actually not really, just the front end, ie: what you can choose. It works just as powerful as the AI would use it otherwise. Player progression is the same. 

You just lose the top tier micromanagement side of it, which is more prone to human error. In FMT you choose a "bias", which simply ensures your players concentrate on that training style slightly more than others. Other schedule types are still used depending on your match load, your tactical style, etc etc.

You can't go much wrong with the FMT module, but there's some room for improvement I think with making things a bit more clearer what is being trained week to week, even if you can't choose it. 

Hi Lucas,

thanks for clarifying this for me. I realise my wording was misleading. I didn’t mean to suggest that the under the hood mechanics were in anyway different or inferior to full fat FM.

I guess what I was trying to say is I can’t micromanage and control everything like in full fat FM where every session can be chosen by the user. I think honestly the training addition is the biggest advancement in years. It’s brilliant! Would love it in Touch, with the option for the user to assign to assistant like now so as not to upset the people who don’t want to use it.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, BuryBlade said:

I guess what I was trying to say is I can’t micromanage and control everything like in full fat FM where every session can be chosen by the user. I think honestly the training addition is the biggest advancement in years. It’s brilliant! Would love it in Touch, with the option for the user to assign to assistant like now so as not to upset the people who don’t want to use it.

Wouldn't expect it as some of the micro training stuff is just incompatible with FM Touch (no match prep, dynamics) which is also why you don't have units in the game either. 

I'd expect other game features people probably use more to be improved, or Training to have a different flavour to FM entirely. Which it does almost, atm.

If you want FM features, play FM. I'd rather FMT took a different approach personally. It is meant to be a separate game.

18 hours ago, Lucas said:

Wouldn't expect it as some of the micro training stuff is just incompatible with FM Touch (no match prep, dynamics) which is also why you don't have units in the game either. 

I'd expect other game features people probably use more to be improved, or Training to have a different flavour to FM entirely. Which it does almost, atm.

If you want FM features, play FM. I'd rather FMT took a different approach personally. It is meant to be a separate game.

Fair points. I can understand wanting improvements to the current features. Out of interest though, you mention a different approach going forward; so what approach would you go for with FMT? 

• SI Staff
21 hours ago, BuryBlade said:

The only things I miss are youth intake size - you only get small intakes on FMT compared to the full game and not having the full training module. The full fat training module is one of the best things SI have ever implemented - @Seb Wassell I believe you are to thank for this! - on the iPad it is a far more basic module. I miss having the full control of every training session. 

Very kind, thank you. 

I designed it but many others had a hand in developing it from, to mention only a few, @Riz Remes and Jesper Andrell to Stu Coleman and @Russell Hammant.

Archived