JoseRR's FM09 Big Euro Nation Challenge!

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best Midfielder

This award saw three nominations creep through, they were from all three of the nations that saw major action in this challenge. So the Nominees are Tommaso Cilona (Savona), Sinsia Matic (Fafe) & Munoz (Real Oviedo). Three great players in the centre of the park for their clubs, but really only one could make the final cut and be named the Best Midfielder in the 2009 Big Euro Challenge.

And the winner is.....Tommaso Cilona

Tommaso Cilona (Savona) - This was his best season in a 12 year Savona career. He's made 429 appearances and scored 80 goals at 7.15 - pretty good for a defensive midfielder! Has won World Football of the Year once and come runner up twice.

Decided I can get two per post, so will probably follow this for most of them.

Best Striker

The award for Best Striker was going to be contested by three superstars of the thread, and really all three of them have become household names to all of us, so I present the nominees, Dixon (Real Oviedo), Aleksander Radakovic (Fafe) & Michele Badini (Savona). Any of these three could be considered in this position, but it seems in the voters mind that one of them was that special something.

And the Winner is.... Aleksander Radakovic

Aleksander Radakovic: The guy who made it all happen for Fafe, in our league winning season he did only make a handful of appearances, but if not for his goalscoring we would've never got to the top level of Liga Sagres, club records for appearances (419), goals (241) and man of matches (71). He also has 83 assists and an average rating of 7.13.

So next I am going to post the Stories Awards. A bit of a break from the players, lets see what people thought of the stories told here during the last 12 months.

First a bit of a Commercial Break to have dinner. These messages are brought to you by our Sponsors in the New Thread, go check it out.

The Stories Awards

Funniest Moment

The field for this one was led by Savona Failing, Sporting Own Goal & Real Oviedo's Knockout. Now three slightly amusing stories here, and anyone could tell the story and give a great laugh to their whole audience, now this here award could of course only have one winner...

And the winner is....Sporting's Own Goal

Seeing the Sporting CP goalkeeper clear the ball into his own defender, having it bounce back into the net to give Fafe the victory 2:1.

The Hard Luck Story

This is the catergory for that event that just guts you, everyone knows the moment, when you make a huge step up, but then at the last moment someone cuts you off. So for this award we were looking for those gut-wrenching moments, and three stood out Real Oviedo's Last Gasp, Savona's Relegation & Fafe's Playoffs.

And the Winner is....Real Oviedo's Last Gasp

Real Oviedo - 2023/2024 season where I was neck and neck with Real Madrid all season, until the last H2H game with them, at Bernabeu, where they scored an 81st minute goal to win, after I fought back to draw them in the 55th minute. Real Madrid finished 2 points ahead. We would have won the La Liga title if the result remained a draw because I defeated them at home earlier in the season.

Best Season Review

The award for writing, now this one was looking for something well written, well presented and clear. We wanted to see originality and style, and I think with the finalists we got just that. The Nominees were Iacovone's Winning Season, PRDH's First League Win, LLR's Fafeful Adventure & Rlipscombe's Invincibles.

And the Winner is...LLR's Fafeful Adventure

Fafe Season 2027/28 - This report was far and away the best one I did of some stunners, I was delighted with the way this one developed and shall be starting something similar as my updates for FM10

Really guys I also want to thank all of you, because without your thoughts, support and contributions my reports would've never grown into the juggernauts I created in the end. Thanks all.

Best Season

This award was to the best season with onfield performances being the most important of the lot, there were three great nominees selected as we have Savona's Completion, Domegliara's Completion & Real Oviedo's Invincibles.

And the winner is...Savona's Completion

The Completion Season - The triumphant first completion of the challenge \o/.

The Other Players Awards (Including the Best Nickname)

Worst Signing

I have always been a believer in getting the bad news out of the way first so the first award for this section will be the Worst Signing, this will be awarded to a player who did nothing for thier club. Doesn't matter if they spent too much, just an overall shocking buy. The Nominees are Markus Larsson (Real Oviedo), Emilio Rinaldi (Savona) & Ricardo Noir (Real Oviedo).

And the winner is... Markus Larsson (Real Oviedo)

Markus Larsson - a $15 million signing from Braga in 2015-2016. He never scored more than 8 goals in his 4 years with Real Oviedo. His last season with the club, he scored 1 goal in 25 games. This signing was so significant that I never buy players based in Portugal!!

Overpriced

Lets get the bad ones gone first, so following that trend up next is the award for the Most Overpriced Player. To be awarded this the manager needs to have spent an excessive amount of money on a player and received little or no reward for it. So the nominees are, Glivan (Savona) 14m, Richard (Fafe) 16m & Kabore (Real Oviedo) 20m. I think we all learnt from these guys that spending that sort of money can fail even when the player looks good.

And the Winner is...Richard (Fafe) 16m

Richard 16M - He played from January 2028, to January 2029 scoring 9 goals in 34 matches and left for 4.5M to Werder Bremen where he has 12 goals in 15 starts...

Best Nickname

Everyone yells at the screen sometimes in this game, but this section is about the imagination of what you yell, well actually it is more about the names you come up with for your players. It shows a bit of character and makes a connection with them as well. So without further ado we have the nominees, Pants (Pantovic), The Monster (Monasterio) & Jorge "The King" Rodriguez.

And the winner is.... Jorge "The King" Rodriguez.

Best Bargain

The final award before moving onto the big three has to be the award for the best Bargain, the player who was bought nice and cheap, and still performed. It is players like these that show the world that money cannot buy you happiness. Of course you could throw more money at these guys and they would take it, but expensive is not always best. So the nominees are, Alberto Rodriguez Nebreda (Real Oviedo), Marco Novello (Domegliara) & Dixon (Real Oviedo).

And the Winner is...Dixon (Real Oviedo)

Dixon (Real Oviedo) - i love this man!! averaged over 1 in 2 games and prolific at times. almost a goal a game for Ireland too. A steal for £60,000.

The Final Three Awards...

The Lifetime Achievement Award

This award was intended for that player out there in the thread who showed a great achievement and pulled their club through some hard times and through some good. There were some great options for this award, but the nomination process cut it down to four, Aleksander Radakovic (Fafe), Gorroxtegi (Real Oviedo), Riccardo Rotunno (Savona) & Casisa (Domegliara). Well it seemed the voters were torn as well, we have ended up with a three way tie for this award, so you know what...

The winners are...Aleksander Radakovic (Fafe), Riccardo Rotunno (Savona) & Casisa (Domegliara).

For their efforts all three of these guys deserve a Lifetime Achievement award so here you go.

Riccardo Rotunno - 486 Appearances, more earlier in this post.

Aleksander Radakovic: - 419 Appearances, more in this post.

Casisa - Joining on a free as a 24-year-old in 2009 and captaining the team from the bottom division right up to Serie A becoming one of the best players in the division.. He spent 11 happy seasons at the club before retiring in 2020 and taking a position on the coaching staff.

The Final Two Awards

Best Youth Product

This award was to be given to the player who came through the academy of their local team and went on to glory for their given side. There were a few good players this year from their academies, but only one could be selected as the best youth product. The nominees were Javier (Real Oviedo), Riccardo Rotunno (Savona) & Pastore (Domegliara). All three of them had stunning careers for their clubs starting as young players and right through into their twilight years.

And the winner is...Javier (Real Oviedo)

Javier (Real Oviedo) - He has spent 11 seasons with the club after coming through their Youth Academy, he has played 496 games, with 42 Man of the match awards and every season has had an average rating over seven. He is a four time Spanish Young Player of the Year finalist, three time European Defender of the Year, and went on the World Team of the Year three times as well. He became a regular for Spain before he turned 20, turning out 65 times. And he is only my vice captain.

The Final Award

Hall of Famer

This award was for that one player who would make the Hall of Fame, a lot of star players showed their stuff for their clubs this season and one of them would be given the greatest honour as he will be the first player to ever be inducted into the Big Euro Challenge Hall of Fame. The one player who showed something extra and took his club to the top. The nominees for our final award are Javier (Real Oviedo), Aleksander Radakovic (Fafe) & Tommasso Cilona (Savona). So we have a defender, a midfielder and a striker up for the award and we had the closest vote with a result as all three got votes. A great season comes to an end with the naming of our player of the season.

And the winner is.... Javier (Real Oviedo)

Javier (Real Oviedo) - He has spent 11 seasons with the club after coming through their Youth Academy, he has played 496 games, with 42 Man of the match awards and every season has had an average rating over seven. He is a four time Spanish Young Player of the Year finalist, three time European Defender of the Year, and went on the World Team of the Year three times as well. He became a regular for Spain before he turned 20, turning out 65 times. And he is only my vice captain.

So there you have it our awards ceremony has come to an end with some great results and a stunning look back over the last year in this thread, thank you all for participating and I cannot wait to do it again for 2010.

The Big Euro 09 Awards

The Norms

Best Goalkeeper

Raul Perez Rodriguez - (Real Oviedo) - In his best season he managed to concede only 26 goals in 45 appearances, having been brought in as a free he was a huge star for the club. In 11 seasons with the club he has been the starter, in 364 league games he has conceded only 295 goals, with 163 clean sheets. The Spainard has led the way from the back for his club.

Best Defender

Best Midfielder

Tommaso Cilona (Savona) - This was his best season in a 12 year Savona career. He's made 429 appearances and scored 80 goals at 7.15 - pretty good for a defensive midfielder! Has won World Football of the Year once and come runner up twice.

Best Striker

Aleksander Radakovic: The guy who made it all happen for Fafe, in our league winning season he did only make a handful of appearances, but if not for his goalscoring we would've never got to the top level of Liga Sagres, club records for appearances (419), goals (241) and man of matches (71). He also has 83 assists and an average rating of 7.13.

The Greats

Hall of Famer

Best Youth Product

Lifetime Achievement Award - Triple Awarded.

Riccardo Rotunno - 486 Appearances, more earlier in this post.

Aleksander Radakovic: - 419 Appearances, more in this post.

Casisa - Joining on a free as a 24-year-old in 2009 and captaining the team from the bottom division right up to Serie A becoming one of the best players in the division.. He spent 11 happy seasons at the club before retiring in 2020 and taking a position on the coaching staff.

Best Nickname

Jorge 'the king' Rodriguez

The Others Player Awards

Best Bargain

Dixon (Real Oviedo) - he has averaged over 1 in 2 games and prolific at times. almost a goal a game for Ireland too. A star in his league, and for his nation, not many players can do this.

Overpriced

Richard 16M - He played from January 2028, to January 2029 scoring 9 goals in 34 matches and left for 4.5M to Werder Bremen where he has 12 goals in 15 starts...

Worst Signing

Markus Larsson - a $15 million signing from Braga in 2015-2016. He never scored more than 8 goals in his 4 years with Real Oviedo. His last season with the club, he scored 1 goal in 25 games. This signing was so significant that I never buy players based in Portugal!!

The Stories Team Awards

Best Season Review

Fafe- Season 2027/28 First League Win

Best Season

Savona -The Completion Season - The triumphant first completion of the challenge \o/.

Hard Luck Story

Real Oviedo - 2023/2024 season where I was neck and neck with Real Madrid all season, until the last H2H game with them, at Bernabeu, where they scored an 81st minute goal to win, after I fought back to draw them in the 55th minute. Real Madrid finished 2 points ahead. We would have won the La Liga title if the result remained a draw because I defeated them at home earlier in the season.

Funniest Event

Fafe - Seeing the Sporting CP goalkeeper clear the ball into his own defender, having it bounce back into the net to give Fafe the victory 2:1.

By the Numbers

Best Result

Real Oviedo vs NL Spanish 10-0

Worst Result

Savona vs Roma 1-7

Most Goals

Jorge "The King" Rodriguez (Real Oviedo) - 48 goals

Most Assists

Arturo Di Giuseppe (Fafe) - 30 assists

Most Clean Sheets

Raul Perez Rodriguez (Real Oviedo) - 26 clean sheets

Bora Ayaz (Domegliara) - 26 clean sheets

Disappointed with my measly haul. I thought Novello had a good shot as his award. And I think often Pastore would have been up there. But competing against Javier was always going to be a tough call.

Great job LLR - hopefully I'll do better next year!

Archived