4-1-4-1 DM - Gets no or very few goals

So my favorite formation has always been the 4-1-4-1 DM formation, and the game offers this perfectly with some team orders and so forth. But it gets me no goals as in previous versions... I let the team orders be the same, but tweaks a few player roles to my liking. It worked perfectly in FM18, but I cannot make it work this year.

It's as follows:

Goalkeeper (SK)

Wingback (SUP) - CB (Ball playing defender - defensive) - CB (defensive) - Wingback (SUP)

DMC (Ball-winning midfielder - Defensive)

CM (Box-to-box, support) - CM (Deep-lying playmaker, support)

Winger (inside forward - attack) - Winger (inside forward - attack)

Striker (Advanced forward - attack)

Team orders has not been touched, and like I said, it worked fine last year. Granted, I used fewer instructions than this year does with the tactic). 

I've tried the formation with Ajax, Marseille and Dortmund, and bar a 5-2 win over Nürnberg, it gets me a max of 2 goals pr match, no matter the opposition. 

I had similar issues in my time to quit the game threads, but what i have realised with the help of others is, not to have too many players attacking space as it pushes players up against the back line of the opposition and reduces passing options.

I dont like the advanced forward position for a team that is expected to do well as its more of a counter attacking ball in behind kind of role, i think a striker than links with midfield would be something you need, also im not sure about using two inside fowards together and its effects (not something i do).

Its hard for me to make too many suggestions but i also think line of engagement and defensive line can be very important, if you condense the play into too small of an area against a camping opposition, it will be hard to find a way through with lots of attacking roles and little width

What role would you suggest for the striker? I do agree with you, because the goals I do score comes from my midfield and defence... And yeah, I have thought about turning the one IF into a supporting role, or just the Winger role on support.

14 minutes ago, Gungner said:

What role would you suggest for the striker? I do agree with you, because the goals I do score comes from my midfield and defence... And yeah, I have thought about turning the one IF into a supporting role, or just the Winger role on support.

id personally go with a deep lying forward on support, to make space for others and to link with midfield.

it would depend on what players you have though, and whether their attributes fit this kind of role

i am playing a 4-1-4-1. this is how i set up. no real problems with goal scoring, but shots on target to goals is a little skewed, but it happens. The only difference i have to your set up is, i have an inside forward on the left, and my middle pairing is a box to box an advanced play maker, my wing back in behind my inside forward is devastating with creating scoring opportunities.  i play a controlled possession system, no player instructions, the only chance i have made to the the factory instructions, is that i removed high line as i watched and saw attackers were getting in behind my central pairing, drop the line, problem fixed.  

7 分钟前, aandjunaidi说:

Same for me, i used my fav 4-4-2 that works perfectly on fm18. 

But fm19 so difficult to score, my first season my top scorer is brozovic 13 goals. Icardi only 12 in 40 apps, finishing chances is really really hard to do on fm19

May I ask if you are in the public beta and what mentality you are using?

2 minutes ago, Manjusaka said:

May I ask if you are in the public beta and what mentality you are using?

I used gegenpressing tactic default, just tweaking to reduce the tempo. I change 4-4-2 to 4-2-4 and works well, decent result but mostly won 1-0 and 2-0. 

13 分钟前, aandjunaidi说:

I used gegenpressing tactic default, just tweaking to reduce the tempo. I change 4-4-2 to 4-2-4 and works well, decent result but mostly won 1-0 and 2-0. 

I am also using 442 in Serie A. After the update in the match engine I need to use an attacking mentality with a high engagement line in order to score. It seems that the Italian teams sit really back and play at a really low tempo such that my team need to push really high to get into the game.

You're entire front line is looking to score, your B2B midfielder wants to get on the end of something, but balls coming from central areas are going to be rare or hopeful.  Your DM is not being asked to create anything, which is fine, but your PM is likely too deep to influence the game once you come up against the opposition defence. I'd switch at least one of your IFs to support and change the deep lying PM to a roaming PM.  That way you'll have creativity around the box, rather than relying on longer balls and crosses.  If your forward is a big lad, maybe switching out an IF for a winger would stretch the defence more and give you more crossed balls to attack.

Archived