A new spin on the Hexagon Challenge. Is it the hardest challenge ever?

I have always enjoyed challenges on FM such as the San Marino challenge, Pentagon challenge etc. A few months ago I saw something about the Hexagon challenge and I thought what a great idea!

After reading a few peoples posts who did it, it became apparent that it can get quite easy towards the end when you have built up your reputation and take say the Corinthians or Real Madrid jobs. I want something that is a constant challenge. To that end I am embarking on... THE HEXAGON CHALLENGE OF NON-CHAMPIONS.

Idea is simple, you start unemployed with no coaching qualifications and sunday league player experience. You have to win all 6 Champions Leagues (CONCACAF, UEFA, Oceania, CAF, Copa Libertadores and AFC) in the world but... here is the tricky part. You have to win each one with a club based in a country that has never had a Champions League winner before! So kiss goodbye to clubs in Spain, Brazil, Mexico, South Korea etc!

After some research and league expansions from Steam I have started a game and loaded up 2 nations from each continent that have never had a Champions League winner. I will try and win the Champions League of each continent with a club from one of these nations.

Asia - Hong Kong & Malaysia

Europe - Belgium & Greece

Africa - Mali & Zimbabwe

NA - Jamaica & Panama

SA - Bolivia & Peru

Oceania - Fiji & Solomon Islands

None of those countries have ever had a club win their regions Champions League.

Any thoughts on the challenge? Anyone won a single Champions League with a club from a more obscure nation? Advice welcome!

EDIT: Not started just yet, having a rethink on which nations. Likely to swap Mali for Kenya, Hong Kong for Uzbekistan and may swap Panama. Hoping to start before 2019!

Yeah I am looking forward to starting it!

So this is by no means a definitive list as ALOT of countries have never had a club win their Champions League but it should give you a decent idea and more choices:

Europe - Greece, Belgium, Russia, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Turkey, Austria, Czech Republic, Ireland, Wales, Poland, Armenia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Iceland.

Oceania - Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, New Caledonia, Cook islands, Tonga, Samoa, American Samoa and Tahiti.

Asia - Iraq, Malaysia, Oman, Syria, Hong Kong, Uzbekistan, Bahrain, Singapore, Vietnam, Turkmenistan.

Africa - Mali, Sudan, Uganda, Togo, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Angola, Ethiopia, Botswana, Chad, Kenya, Senegal, Liberia, Namibia, Gabon, Tanzania.

North America - Canada, Cuba, Curacao, Jamaica, Panama, Dominican Republic, Barbados, Grenada, Nicaragua, Cayman Islands.

South America - Only Peru, Bolivia and Venezuela have never won it.

Yeah I am currently enjoying a save with Red Star Belgrade and Serbia manager, but once I get bored of it I will give this a go.

I think the best chances of winning the Euro Champions League would be a team in Russia, Turkey or Belgium

No idea on best league to win the Asian Champions League but maybe Iraq or Uzbekistan.

African Champions League I am thinking either a team in Mali or Senegal.

North America is probably going to be Canada or Jamaica

South America is probably Peru

That is the route I will probably be going hopefully.

I am keen to see how you and others get on with this.

I don't see why a Canadian MLS team doesn't count as technically no team that plays under the Canadian flag has ever won the CONCACAF Champions League. I am going to do it with a Caribbean team just purely for the challenge and I like the route of trying to win the Caribbean Championship first.

Just a thought, Malaysian and Hong Kong don't they only appear in the Confederations Cup and not the Asian Champions League? Also for FM19 there's not that many databases out yet for obscure Asian or Oceanic teams so this challenge can't really go ahead ATM.

3 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

Just a thought, Malaysian and Hong Kong don't they only appear in the Confederations Cup and not the Asian Champions League? Also for FM19 there's not that many databases out yet for obscure Asian or Oceanic teams so this challenge can't really go ahead ATM.

This time around Malaysia had a team (Johor Darul) enter at the preliminary stage of the Asian Champions League and Hong Kong had 1 team directly into the group stage (Kitchee) and 1 in prelims (Eastern) so no issues with either of those 2 nations being in the Asian Champions League. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_AFC_Champions_League

For databases, Timo has completed the below Asian and Oceania nations for people to manage:

ASIE

sa.png Arabie Saoudite (D3)
bh.png Bahrain (D2)

bd.png Bangladesh (D2)
bt.png Bhoutan (D3)
ae.png Emirats Arabe Unis (D2) Add 14/12/18
gu.png Guam (D3)
mxkz.png Hong Kong (D4) Add 14/12/18
ir.png Iran (D3)
jo.png Jordanie (D2) Add 14/12/18
1u5o.png Kirghizistan (D3)
mo.png Macao (D5)
mp.png Mariannes du Nord (D3)
mn.png Mongolia (D3)
ypk5.png Myanmar (D2)
np.png Népal (D4)
om.png Oman (D3)
uz.png Ouzbekistan (D3)
pk.png Pakistan (D1)
ph.png Philippines (D1)
qa.png Qatar (D2)
2xvi.png Singapour (D6) Cosmo League (2 Levels and Cup) 
lk.png Sri Lanka (D3) Add 14/12/18
sy.png Syrie (D3)
tj.png Tadjikistan (D3)
85n2.png Taiwan (D1)
tl.png Timor (D4)
tm.png Turkmenistan (D2)
vn.png Viêt Nam (D3)

Océanie

fj.png Fidji (D2)
sb.png Iles Salomon (D1)
2fvf.png Nouvelle Calédonie (D2)
nz.png New Zeland (D4)
pf.png Tahiti (D2)

https://community.sigames.com/topic/458068-fm19-update-pack-by-timo-60-nations/

33 minutes ago, maxtothemax said:

Really nice challenge! Especially the African and Asian countries will be a challenge, resources are very limited. When will u start?

I was planning to have already started but the database I was using for Panama was way wrong so I cancelled it. 

Hoping to restart over Christmas, just waiting for Timo or Claassen to do 1 more North American nation and 1 more South American nation. I am all set for Europe, Oceania, Asia and Africa.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 20/01/2019 at 21:32, thisisneeds said:

I've just started this challenge. Got a job in Solomon Islands with Solomon Warriors. Missed out on the league by one goal but into the quarter final of the OCL. Really enjoying it, it's going to be a long tough challenge. 

Nice! Let us know how you get on. I have kind of been sidetracked by a save managing Mariupol in Ukraine but this challenge is still very high on my list!

I've decided that I am going to try and give this a go. I have used the databases from here. I looked at the nations that Timo had done, and it didn't really give me the ones in Africa that I was looking for. Anyway, here are the nations that I am going to be using:

Africa: Mali, Senegal & Zimbabwe

Asia: Iraq, Malaysia & Uzbekistan

Europe: Belgium, Russia & Turkey

North America: Canada (USA), Jamaica & Panama

Oceania: Fiji, Solomon Islands & Tahiti

South America: Bolivia, Peru & Venezuela

On 09/02/2019 at 00:11, Watson156 said:

I've decided that I am going to try and give this a go. I have used the databases from here. I looked at the nations that Timo had done, and it didn't really give me the ones in Africa that I was looking for. Anyway, here are the nations that I am going to be using:

Africa: Mali, Senegal & Zimbabwe

Asia: Iraq, Malaysia & Uzbekistan

Europe: Belgium, Russia & Turkey

North America: Canada (USA), Jamaica & Panama

Oceania: Fiji, Solomon Islands & Tahiti

South America: Bolivia, Peru & Venezuela

Nice! Keep us updated. Should be a tough challenge but quite the achievement if it can be done!

2018/19 - Season 1 Solomon Warriors, Solomon Islands

Manager ProfileLeagues Loaded

Solomon Warriors FC

Initial Squad - We had a really good base of a squad, but we needed to bring in some much needed depth and rotation options

Transfer History - The advantage of playing in a league with amateur contracts. We raided our rivals for the best players, and even when we lost players we were able to bring them back in.

Final Squad - We simply had the best squad in the league. Our midfield and forwards were devastating going forward, while we were able to add the best goalkeeper in the league to solidify us at the back. Yes, that is my backup goalkeeper with 2 goals!

League Table - Not much to be said. By far the best team and it wasn't even close. Fair play to Marist Fire coming second after we took 9 of their players over the season!

League Fixtures 12 - We never looked like losing apart from our 2nd game where there were a few hairy moments. We went behind four or five times, but with our attacking options we were never really in any danger of losing.

Champs League Group Stages - The big surprise was how poor Team Wellington were. Last year it would generally always be an all New Zealand final, but once I saw Wellington draw their first game I knew we had a chance. I became very confident when I saw Auckland draw a game.

Champs League Knockout Stages - Apart from Amicale beating Suva, each game went as expected. The 5-1 final aggregate flatters us but the damage was done with a 2-0 away win. 

Champs League Fixtures - Some big scores, but it is our results against the New Zealand teams that stand out. The 91st minute goal against Auckland was huge, and then the 80th minute goal at home was a brilliant way to wrap up the OFC Champions League.

Competition Overview - No idea what happened against Kossa in the cup. We got FM'd in the 2nd leg (they had 1 shot on target and scored, to our 15 and we didn't score) and of course they went on to win on penalty's. It's a real shame not to win this but I will settle with the double!

After winning the Champions League I thought about resigning straight away and looking for a new job, but decided to stay with Solomon and wait for the right job. I was hoping that I might be able to jump straight over to the MLS, but it wasn't to be. So after 6 games I was gearing up for another season, to try and retain our League and Champions League title but to also win the cup. There was also the small matter on the Club World Cup, but then almost the perfect job opened up.  I will be moving to Malaysia, and taking over at Johor DT. Johor are the current champions and have been for the last 6 years! As soon as their manager retired I knew that I had to try and have this job. The last couple of years they have been knocked out of the Champions League in the qualifying rounds to teams from Japan & South Korea so I am going to have my work cut out for me. This could be a long stay in Malaysia!

Solomon Warriors StatsJohor Job Offer

• 2 weeks later...

@Watson156 Nice going! To win the Champions League in the first season is awesome! I was going to say that Jason Thomas looks like he may be a crucial player over the future years but then realised you won the Champions league anyway so it doesnt matter haha.

Johor DT is definitely a good choice! I had a save in Malaysia years ago and a big part of it is making sure you use your FGN slots wisely! Also try and sign up those Malaysian internationals! 

1 down 5 to go though!

On 08/02/2019 at 22:46, CTID86 said:

Nice! Let us know how you get on. I have kind of been sidetracked by a save managing Mariupol in Ukraine but this challenge is still very high on my list!

I won the championship league with Solomon Warriors but missed out on the league, then went to Zimbabwe with Highlanders FC. Managed to win the league twice but couldnt bring home the champions League unfortunately. Been on with a few saves in the mean time but looking to get back on this soon. 

On 10/12/2018 at 14:17, Balahara said:

Would Canadian MLS teams count? This is a hard challenge but I think the CONCACAF Champions League would be brutally tough as a non-MLS or Mexican team. 

The problem here is that would also allow Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham to count for Wales....

On 26/02/2019 at 22:09, Lenzar said:

The problem here is that would also allow Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham to count for Wales....

Not really. Wales have their own league which you can play that has a route to the Champions League. Canadian teams do not have their own league that you can manage in for FM19 and so the only way to get a Canadian team into the CONCACAF Champions League is via the MLS where as Welsh clubs can qualify through their own league.

Having said that, a good example is Liechtenstein. They don't have a league and all their clubs play in Switzerland, therefore if you wanted to win the Champions League with a Liechtenstein club, then similar to Canadian clubs you would need to do it with a team that plays club football in the "wrong" nation. However thats a whole other challenge as a Liechtenstein club is only eligible to qualify for the Europa League and so you can only get into the Champions League by winning that. But I digress!

I have finally started this challenge today. I have loaded:

Belgium & Greece
Peru
Malaysia & Uzbekistan
Gabon & Kenya
Barbados & Jamaica
Fiji & Solomon Islands

I was torn whether to go for Fiji or Solomon Islands but I opted for the latter and have taken over at KOSSA FC. Only 6 players in the squad so I will need to fix that before the season begins. 

I went for Solomon Islands because the season hasnt begun, whereas in Fiji they were half way through and so I would have struggled to qualify for the Champions League in season one.

image.thumb.png.6bcd8a3e51f246de3ca314abe8629194.pngimage.thumb.png.8c51b5d5cd03d19366a4fb5460c39a01.png    

Archived