How long does it take you to play your first match.

Just wondering how long it usually takes you guys to get to your first competitive match of the season from starting up your save?

Interested to see how much prep people put in. 

My fist save in FM 19 and I’m 2 hours in and only at my 2nd friendly of the season. 

Between getting to know the squad and deciding on a tactic that suits it, finding new staff, setting up training, looking up transfer targets it takes me at least 10 hours to get started on a new save.

Granted, with plenty of breaks in between those 10 hours, but still...

8 minutes ago, SD said:

Between getting to know the squad and deciding on a tactic that suits it, finding new staff, setting up training, looking up transfer targets it takes me at least 10 hours to get started on a new save  

Glad to know it’s normal to take so long then! I was wondering today if it takes other people so long to get going. 

Im very familiar with the game, so unless im starting with a team or league ive never been before im fairly quick. Bout an hour sorting my squads (promoting, relegating, listing for transfer/loan) , staff (signing and sacking and sorting training categories), setting up a tactic (often have an idea in my head before i start, so this is a quick job), scouring the market for a couple of transfer targets. 

Once i click continue after that first hour... Im off playing. I start the game with a date close to the first competitive games and i dont manage the friendlies. I also (currently) delegate training. 

I get the most enjoyment from focussing on getting a tactic to play to a plan (the success is second to that) and building my squad... But with the vast improvements to training and with my new job starting monday i have a lot more time to play (commuting and staying in hotels instead of looking after baby!) i intend to give that module the attention it deserves...so i guess ill start playing the long game like you guys! 

When I started my FM19, it took me about 6 hours to my first friendly match.

And the next day to start my first competitive match after playing almost 10 hours.

Most the interface is so different than FM17 especially the scouting things, training and tactics.

My first save in every FM iteration that I have is with ManUtd so I already know the first team squad, I just need to identify which position that need improvement and it is quick.

First game on 19 took me 16 hours before I hit continue. Now down to about 4 hours, as my tactics and set pieces are sorted, and I know which staff I am culling. I am a bit pedantic about the start of my games and I double/triple check everything before I hit that continue button for the first time.

I have been playing the FM series since the early Domark days and always look forward to the annual release of the latest version and accompanying developments/new features. The main thing to do is play the game in a way that you enjoy but I am sure that regular players have developed their own approach/"rituals" with regard to starting a new game. One of mine is always playing Chelsea......

I have to confess to being somewhat obsessive in setting up my main game save and spending absolutely ages before pressing continue for the first time - I have currently spent circa 40 hours on my main game save and have only played 6 Premier League games so far!

When the beta comes out I focus on exploring the new additions and setting up my custom views for all relevant sections to save time when full game released. I look at my squad, backroom staff and decide on likely areas that need strengthening and investigate likely options.

I may play one or two friendlies but don't spend much time trying to build a tactic as the match engine always tends to be significantly different on full game release necessitating a rethink of tactics.

When the full game is released I assess my coaching team first - 1st team, U23's and U18's. I determine maximum quality of coaching stars I can achieve for each of the categories with the current staff and then offer mutual termination when necessary (cheapest if done on 1st day)  to enable me to achieve minimum 4 stars for each category. It is then a case of finding replacement coaches to achieve my target. Similar approach to medical and scouting/recruitment areas - get rid of dead wood, recruit better replacements and fill all vacancies allowed by the board. When choosing all staff I try, whenever possible, to get people with good personalities - Professional, resolute, model citizen (ideally).

Staff responsibilities are then finalised with me controlling nearly everything, apart from training schedules for now.....I recruit a Director of football but only use him to offload unwanted/loan players.

Then a case of assessing squad, moving the best younger players to 1st team for mentoring, setting up all scouting assignments (i focus on looking for new talent) and identifying transfer targets.

I then build my intitial main tactic, set piece takers etc and arrange some additional friendlies to try and maximise tactical familiarity before the season starts.

It probably took me about 15 hours spread over several days going through the above and various other things before I hit continue for the first time......

I watch all matches on comprehensive so each match probably takes circa 20 minutes.....

I have probably missed a few things out of above but basically I like to spend a lot of time at the start trying to get things "right" from my perspective as I only tend to have one main long term game with each release. "Lay good foundations and hopefully success will follow....."

Hope everyone enjoys their FM19 experience...good luck.....

Ha ha - AGES is the common answer! Previously it might have taken me 12 hours (not including breaks) to get past the first couple of friendlies, but in FM19 I'm doing a Head Coach challenge, so its considerably shorter. In this challenge I just manage the squad; I leave the DoF to do all the scouting and hiring new players and staff. Really it'ss trawling the region for players to bring in that takes up the bulk of the time. I'm also leaving training to my assman this year - I start off amateur or part-time with naff all facilities, so the players get little benefit anyway.

So now time is spent getting to know my lads and forming/tweaking/fine-tuning tactics until by the end of pre-season I've got a stable system established. Now that 12 hours will get me through pre-season and up to the cusp of the competitive season for real.

Archived