[FM19] Charlton Athletic - Bringing the Addicks Back

AceAvenger

288px-Charlton_Athletic.svg.png

Bringing the Addicks Back

Charlton Athletic are a club that have been on a downward trajectory ever since their current owner, Roland Duchâtelet, has taken over. What followed the take was years of mediocrity, with the club languishing in League One and haemorrhaging money to boot. To stem their financial losses, the club sold their best products from their prodigious academy, such as Joe Gomez, Ademola Lookman and most recently Ezri Konsa. However this turned out to be not enough as the club has taken even more measures to become 'cost concious', such as removing the free breakfast for academy players and restricting bottled water, as well as rationing electricity and wifi.

The fans have responded to the deteriorating state of their club by forming the Coalition Against Roland Duchâtelet (CARD). CARD organised a variety of protests, including a large billboard near to The Valley, a free alternative to the club's programme, a boycott of club catering and merchandise and even a funeral march mourning the loss of the club's heart and soul.

The purpose of this save is turn Charlton back into a club which their fans, at least their virtual ones, can be proud of. The long term goal is to be back in the land of milk and honey, the Premier League, and hopefully push on to bigger and better things.

2018/2019 Season Preview

647efb944d673697436195cf7e8b1812.png

As you can see from the picture above, we are predicted second, behind the sure fire favourites Sunderland, hopefully I can achieve this and get promotion on the first time of asking.

Key Players

b40feab0e755f318e85330f814faaaf5.png

My best player, very well rounded central midfielder who would excel as the sides playmaker. Only one problem, he's out for the whole season so he's no use to me in my promotion push. Hopefully by the time he's fit next season he'll be helping our cause in the Championship.

a845f4957cf3646ae93097f6d08b1cf7.png

He's got all the ingredients to become a vital cog in our midfield as a box to box midfielder.

00e43bd3f5db3bb412d784d1dfab7417.png

Bielik is on loan from my beloved Arsenal, his versatility will be key when the games are coming thick and fast.

Hot Prospects

4c1ed458e45bd08ffd82ad2f36ec1123.png

A midfield dynamo, he's a certain starter this year and hopefully he can develop into a very tidy player. Must get him on a new contract to ward the vultures away.

566a749bac4c851c59312b0ad72ce186.png

Grant has the potential to be a Premier League quality striker, although I'm planning to retrain him as a left inside forward to make use of his PPMs. Like Aribo, a new contract is a must.

Preseason 2018

b92ecfb1983ba31dc7344d618cd9cfb8.png

Very good preseason, all wins apart from the Tranmere game, including a great win over Red Bull Salzburg!

Transfers

c68463f46f4ef3ca85a8442718a5ce08.png

The first of 4 loans I made, will be looking to Beni to fill the void of Foster-Caskey in the DLP role.

f058ebc069fbec045552b4d9e80132d5.png

Got Sam Gallagher even though I have enough good strikers as he is an amazing player for League One football and will fit in perfectly with the Gegen style that we will be playing.

beb159cce8f58211ab1d439487ab60f6.png

Jan's a good ball playing defender to go along side Bielek, they'll allow us to play a high line with their pace.

cb40b4ff7b4a09278869fccc00582425.png

Callum's an improvement on the one left back I do have and will allow me to rotate fullbacks when the games come thick and fast.

Preseason 2018

13872f16b04148ae61e374a1bb8cabac.png

Perfect month, in terms of league form. The game against Ipswich was a tale of missed penalties as we missed a penalty during the game to make it 2-0 and we missed 4 in the shootout, yikes.

dab7b1de0ccdf80e63b7f94c4a2a7d68.png

aa6cd4ae2c917259f6d1e3ce362d7941.png

Sam Gallagher was running riot this month, with 10 goals in 5 games, including 2 hat-tricks! What a signing he is turning out to be, I got the manager of the month too which is also nice.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Charlton were my local team growing up and I used to go to the Valley quite a bit (I remember seeing Andy Cole play against them for Bristol City back in the early 90s!) It was great when they were in the Premiership but the wheels fell off quickly post-Curbishley. This would be a great save to get them back to the top flight. 

As a Coventry fan, I have an affinity with Charlton as we've both had such an appalling time at the hands of our current owners. Loved the joint protest last season at the Valley, and wish you all the best in League One on FM!

Archived