FM 19 Pentagon Challenge

Football Manager 2019 time!

And I'm going for Pentagon Challenge (again). People have done it in the past, same old rules, credit to whoever first came up with this hardcore challenge. I'm not sure when I last did it (like in 2015 or something), but I don't have it saved, so here goes a new version in 2019.

Aim

Win the 5 continental trophies (European Champions League, South American Champions League, Asian Champions League, African Champions League, North American Champions League) in one save. I'm also going to make this even harder by adding the World Cup.

Rules

No adding new managers.

No in game editors.

Attribute masking to ensure you actually scout people.

Start unemployed, Sunday-League experience, no coaching badges. The bars are up to you.

Database, I'm going large and adding as many leagues as possible. I do suggest that you add the lower divisions, Asian, African and North American leagues first and add the top divisions, European leagues, and so on later.

*Custom Database for adding more leagues is allowed :)

Have fun!

Edited by SimplyTravels
Custom database clarification

As for me, I will probably do a yearly update (game time) just to keep track.

(Unfortunately, I did forget to take a screenshot of how I started. I believe I started with South Africa, 2018 Pre-season).

After a long, long time without a job, I landed on my first one as Cameroon U-23 on 2018 Sept 09.

It is pretty impossible to get any other job apart from U-23s (I think) if you start Sunday League, unemployed, no coaching badges. Many African U-23 jobs are available though, and I felt Cameroon was the best choice with many of its youth playing in pretty big leagues (or at least in the reserves).

December 2019, I managed to win the African U23 Cup of Nations (with ease actually, the team was just overwhelmingly good compared to others) and I have qualified for the Olympics which I hope to win in 2020. Current tactics screenshot is also attached.

Day1-1.jpg

Day1-2.jpg

Managed to win the Olympics over penalty shootout, beating USA. I did have a pretty easy path to the finals as well, getting Japan in the QF and Belgium (without its best players, only half-injured Thorgan Hazard) in the Semis.

This certainly raised my reputation a little bit, making it far easier to land interviews with MLS teams, Korean Top division teams, and Chinese Top division teams.

I had a few options (New England, Gyeongnam, and Shenzhen). I decided to choose Shenzhen because New England was at the bottom of the table and Gyeongnam did not provide me with any transfer budget (insecure finances).

I also asked for coaching badge training and it was approved (finally!). I suggest anyone who tries this challenge target a team with secure finances in order for the board to approve of it.

Day2-1.jpg

Rising up in ranks!

Started off horribly at Shenzhen, just barely managing to keep them away from relegation. However, the new season started brilliantly, winning 11 of 15 league games.

Guangzhou on the other hand, started really poorly. Their manager was sacked and I am now with Guangzhou and its massive budget! Going for Asian Champions League with this team.

Day3.png

Done with Asian Champions League!

It was a pretty easy way with Guangzhou. Lost the first leg of the finals 0-1, but won the second leg 0-2 to win it all.

I also managed to win the Chinese league in the process. Didn't manage to win the league cup, however with 3 players being sent off in the second leg...

Well, it's 2022 November and World Cup (remember, it's held in Qatar) is well on the way. I will be resigning from Guangzhou to look for a job opening that will help me get the North American Champions League title or the African Champions League title.

Day 5-1.jpg

Day 5-2.jpg

*Edit: The file got messed up after a few days of ending the Chinese part. It was last saved before the final game. It's still in tact, and I managed to get it back alive and save it. Still lost the League cup though.

Edited by SimplyTravels
File corruption

And I'm right back on a new team, this time in North America.

I will be leading Cruz Azul, probably the best team in the Mexican League in 2022 in this save. I honestly have absolutely no idea why the previous manager was sacked (considering he won 65% of games and led Cruz Azul to the top of the Mexican First Division Opening Stage League table), but I'll take the job happily.

Right on pace for the North American League and looking at the players I have, I should have another easy way to the Champions League title.

Day 6.jpg

Starting off by putting all available points into adaptability to maximise chance of foreign job offers. Meet Joe Parker

Didn't take long to get the job at FC Anyang, who aren't doing particularly well in K-League 2. This season is obviously a write-off, so it gives me the chance to experiment and see what works.

EDIT: Scrapping this attempt. Home and away kits for this team are swapped on 3D pitch, which is really annoying.

Edited by Balahara

94810f9e7535c93e9ad36e2d8e8eb70e.jpg.e67c2f5823b81fadd635765213833424.jpg

Gwangju FC - 2018

Short update as there wasn't much to this season. My manager joined Gwanju with 4 games to go with a slight chance of reaching the playoffs, however an away defeat to Busan meant I finished the season with a 3-1 record and no gain on posistion.

Star player by some distance is Gil

Start League Table - End League Table

Two strong teams in Jeju and Pohang have been relegated to K-League 2 so it might be tough going for me next season to get promotion. I don't plan on staying with Gwanju for long however, I just want to do enough to gain a reputation and join a team that has the funds to compete for a continental cup.

Season   Team                     League               Cup1           Cup2          Continental    World         Other                Notes
=================================================================================================================================================================================
2018    Gwangju FC                6th                 N/A            N/A            N/A            N/A           N/A                Joined with 4 league games remaining.

Finished one season with Cruz Azul. Easily won the Mexican First Division Closing Stage and I expect to go for the NACL next year (2024). Compared to rest of the field, I inherited a very strong squad with multiple wonderkids (attached one major one for example, top scorer for closing stage. Just 19!)

2023-1.jpg

2023-2.jpg

• Administrators

Started this and have tried it twice before: 

FM14 where I started in South Africa but the save bugged, and FM15 (Touch versions for both), where I completed the challenge and started out in South America. 

This time, I'm doing it with a more difficult start by starting up in Hong Kong. 

First club is Southern District, taken over halfway through the season on a 6 month contract. Hoping to impress and take over a cooler sounding club name like HK Pegasus and make headway. 

Won my first couple of games and have a twitter thread about this save too: 

• Administrators

Finished first season. After just shy of 6 months in charge (161 days), we finished 5th. Club started to haemorrhage money though, and the Kitchee manager had an absolute nightmare, not winning a single game in 2019 and losing to me 6-nil. My contract was only for 6 months and a 10% compensation clause so I could move end of season if I had to.

Their squad looks good though, and even has Mo Sissoko, a slight upgrade on Zesh Rehman at Southern District. 

Kitchee manager was sacked end of season and so I applied and took over, fancying my chances of winning the league with them, though they do need a couple of extra players  if we're gonna pull it off. Left the Southern District side with some good players though (see below), so I expect them to challenge next season as well. On contract for 2 seasons, plan is to reclaim the title for Kitchee and have a season in the ACL, before I try and jump ship to China or Korea. I won't win the ACL here.

Actually quite enjoyed Hong Kong so far, even though its an awful league where local quality is concerned. Some of the teams are a mess but it's a decent place for squad building with the amount of foreigners floating around and willing to play here.

94810f9e7535c93e9ad36e2d8e8eb70e.jpg.66bb0f39360177135b5bb82594681e06.jpg

Gwangju FC - 2019

I made a fair amount of loans from K-League 1 sides to bolster my team and late in the transfer window added the amazing Lucio Compagnucci on loan from Montreal Impact. Honestly the team I had was very good for the league which made the board goal of avoiding finishing bottom seem strange. I started off pretty well and was leading until results dropped off after gameweek 10. Thanks to the good start and rock bottom board expectations my reputation was good enough to get interviews at higher level clubs and I had a lot of choices. I settled on Seoul. The league table at my point of departure showed the team had a bit of work to do if they were to get promoted, but the manager that replaced me got it done and Gwangju will be going in to K-League next season as champions. 

kisspng-fc-seoul-pohang-steelers-incheon-sangju-sangmu-fc-fc-barcelona-5acf75a86ead67.0512206115235455124533.thumb.png.730d01261ed730c73d0c82f58eefa248.png

FC Seoul - 2019

League Table Start - League Table End - CupTransfers

I had 18 league games remaining when I took over so I was hopeful I could make an impact at the top of the table. I just couldn't find a consistently winning formula though and had to settle for best of the relegation half of the league. The season was saved by a very easy cup run which means I get a chance at AFC glory next year. The star man was striker Bojan Matic, although for next season he is away to Beijing for £700k and Yoo Ju-Ahn taking his place at a cost of £350k. Not only is he a perfect workhorse forward but it will free up an international player slot to be used elsewhere. The best domestic talent are at Jeonbuk and Suwon and they don't seem keen on selling so I will have to be shrewd with the 4 (1 asian) foreign player limit.   

Season   Team                     League               Cup1           Cup2          Continental    World         Other                Notes
=================================================================================================================================================================================
2018    Gwangju FC                6th                 N/A            N/A            N/A            N/A           N/A                Joined with 4 league games remaining.
2019    Gwangju FC                2nd                 N/A            N/A            N/A            N/A           N/A                Left after 19 league games.
2019    Seoul FC                  7th                 Winner         N/A            N/A            N/A           N/A                Joined after 20 league games. ACL Qualification

7 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

Quick question on rules.

You say no editors - If you mean a real time editor then I have no issues as don’t use them.  If you mean custom database, then I may not try it as I like starting really low.

Can you clarify please.

What I mean is real time editor (the in-game one). Custom database, no problem :)

FC Seoul - 2020

kisspng-fc-seoul-pohang-steelers-incheon-sangju-sangmu-fc-fc-barcelona-5acf75a86ead67.0512206115235455124533.thumb.png.3d3458d2c39f1e2d03d74756cd20f72b.png

League - Cup - Asian Champions League - Transfers

K-League 1 - Found my groove tactically I believe. Gave up attempting to play an AMC and went with 4-1-4-1 DM WIDE with balanced mentality. Looked like a two horse race for much of the season until Ulsan fell off towards the closing stage. Shout out to my former player Gil for smashing the top goalscorer award and keeping Gwangju in K-League 1 for another year. Player of the season was my wonderful box-to-box midfielder Pape Cheikh, a steal at £2.1M.

Cup - Seongnam got their revenge for last seasons final defeat. Wasn't too bothered as focus had to be on League and ACL. 

Asian Champions League - I was the only East Asian representative after the first knockout round and I was pretty confident of winning the thing after dispatching of the very strong Al-Hilal. Unfortunately the team choked at the final hurdle and I'll be staying in Seoul for another year at least.

I should be stronger next year as I'll be welcoming Andés Torres into the team, making way for Ju-Ahn who is off for his national service. Also have some top youth players developing, the best being Kim Kyung-Min. The board have invested £25M this season so I really should thank them with an Asian Champions League next year and I can hopefully get a nice South African job directly after.

2019    Gwangju FC                2nd                 N/A            N/A            N/A            N/A           N/A                Left after 19 league games.
2019    Seoul FC                  7th                 Winner         N/A            N/A            N/A           N/A                Joined after 20 league games. ACL Qualification
2020    Seoul FC                  1st                 4th Round      N/A            Runner-up      N/A           N/A         

Edited by Balahara

As for Asia, I do suggest you look out for Chinese league jobs because they have far better funding and lots of strong foreign stars. I also expect the South African one to be difficult (for me too...), so if you think there's a good job out there, might be good to take a shot.

Afternoon all. Decided to start this challenge but as my laptop sucks it'll be on FM Touch.

And after a few months of searching I have a job.

Home United in the Singapore Premier League, just ended 4th and are predicted to win the league this coming season

Image result for home united

Edited by Cheekybananafm

I'm going to give this a go. Managed to complete the Pentagon in FM17 , it took me about 9 months in which time I forgot how to interact with actual humans.  I was planning to attempt the African Champions League with an Egyptian club, just as a change from South Africa. This obviously means a custom database so I'm not sure If I pass the rules in the OP. Ditto Asian Champions league with a Japanese Club. Thought I'd start with an English LL club also, to build rep and gain badges and hopefully enable me to get straight in at Zamalek or Al Ahly:-)

• 1 month later...

Started this and I won't post a big update, but started off unemployed and Sunday league rep:

2088588557_Game__UntitledGame__GameAddNewManager.thumb.png.cb59b9d8fdac6b588f47127acef9b8ce.png

1.thumb.JPG.a894db517d660bd8b2c86724516d6044.JPG

Leagues loaded from the start:

1670177343_FootballManager2019_NewGameChooseNations-2.thumb.png.d1a140230bd6e1ee523de3a43b3ea4d9.png

I'm going to try and get Asia out of the way first then move to either North America in the MLS or South Africa, see what comes up.

After waiting a bit I got the Warriors job in Singapore:

2.thumb.JPG.1226db12e875cf5b06ce53e977c5877c.JPG

As it was part way trough the season they club were knocked out of the cup. I finished third in the league and as winners Albirex and runners up DPMM aren't eligible for the Champions League I got their place.

Will post another update probably tomorrow.

On 15/11/2018 at 18:08, Balahara said:

I should be stronger next year as I'll be welcoming Andés Torres into the team, making way for Ju-Ahn who is off for his national service. Also have some top youth players developing, the best being Kim Kyung-Min. The board have invested £25M this season so I really should thank them with an Asian Champions League next year and I can hopefully get a nice South African job directly after.

That Torres guy looks awesome mate, be interesting to see how he gets on for you.

On 24/01/2019 at 11:59, bigmattb28 said:

That Torres guy looks awesome mate, be interesting to see how he gets on for you.

Unfortunately I binned the save. Lost in the champions league final for a second season running and really couldn't bring myself to play the game any longer. Since I've started my first attempt the game has been patched and it is harder to get jobs in decent countries when starting off from Sunday league rep. Don't think it is possible to get South African or South Korean job from the start anymore. Good luck to you guys starting off in Singapore. 

• 1 month later...

I might do an update in here myself later.... I do this challenge every year and I think I might have finally got the S.African CL with Orlando Pirates

Just thinking where to go next, tempted by Europe while theres still some recognizable names in the game

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...