Narrow setup

Hello.

I have recently started a save with Chievo in Italy. They are predicted to finish 13/18 teams. They have a lot of good CM's and no real wide players, so I am looking for a good narrow setup. I don't want a super/exploit tactics, I just want something solid to build from.

So far I have something like this:

GK - GK D

DR - FB A

DL - FB S

DC - CD D x2

DMC - DM D

MC - MEZ A/S

MC - CM S

AMC - AP S

ST - DF S

ST - AF A

Control/Standard - Fluid shape - TI's: Depends on situation. In control: Push higher up, play wider, close down more. Standard: tight marking

They are decent passers, so I could get away with possesion football in many games.

I would appreciate advice on roles, formation and TI's

I would try this:

GK - GK D

DR - FB A

DL - FB A (both to create more width)

DC - CD D x2

DMC - A D (more stable)

MC - MEZ A 

MC - DLP S (see below)

AMC - AM A 

ST - TM A

ST - P A

I like having the playmaker on either side of the diamond. I think it gives the "creator" one more option (AM A) in front of him and the Target Man one more attacking option to play off of. 

I'd also go: Control/Fluid - Retain poss, Pass into space, Play out of defense, Look to overlap, Play wider, Higher tempo.

I think you may need to develop your thinking a little more on why you've chosen certain things. Or at least tell us so we can help. 

From what you have told us...

Are the FB/A and the MEZ on the same side of the pitch? Not the very end of the world if so, but be aware of the risks.

Be aware of the differences between an AP/S and an AP/A. Read the in-game descriptions for more info, but the key is this: On a support duty, the AP looks to get in between the lines and feed support players and forwards. With an attack duty, he looks to drive at the opposition. That's a significant difference in behaviour from the guy who is likely to see most of the ball in attacking areas. Do you have the rest of your roles and duties set up to support this?

Consider how your team mentality affects the individual mentality of your players.

I've a good 4-4-2 narrow diamond tactic with the following roles:

GK d

WB s   CD d   CD d   WB s

A d

CAR s     CAR s

T a

DLF s     AF a

A system that worked a treat for me with Doncaster through all the divisions was this:

GK(d)

DR - FB(a)

DCx2 - CD(d)

DL - FB(a)

DMC - Anchor Man(d)

MCR - BBM(s)

MC - AP(s)

MCL - BBM(s)

STR - DF(s)

STL - DLF(a)

Flexible Counter for shape and mentality. Shorter passing and play out of defence in your TIs. Three consecutive promotions for me. I got goals and assists galore from the full backs as well.

My team (narrow diamond) mostly plays through the middle, especially with a playmaker in AMC position. I want them to use the flanks (2 supporting WB) as well to be a little bit more unpredictable and have the opposition to cover more space.

Does it make sense to use TI 'Exploit left/right flank' for such a narrow setup or are there any other ways?

• 4 months later...
On 17/05/2018 at 12:37, YasoKuul said:

My team (narrow diamond) mostly plays through the middle, especially with a playmaker in AMC position. I want them to use the flanks (2 supporting WB) as well to be a little bit more unpredictable and have the opposition to cover more space.

Does it make sense to use TI 'Exploit left/right flank' for such a narrow setup or are there any other ways?

Of course there are others (and if you ask me better) ways. For example:

GK/SWK

FBa     CD     CD     WBs

HB

CAR     CMa

APMs

AF     DLFs

Flexible shape

TIs - shorter passing, play wider, play out of defence, work ball into box

As always, the most important question is do you have the right players for each of these roles/duties.

Archived