Sports Interactive Community
KyleHyde

[FM18] Mordovian Youth - The Russian Meteor

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone. I'll be documenting my Mordovia Saransk youth challenge save, using it also as a tactical experimentation playground but still keeping a rigid set of rules and goals for the challenge.

A bit of a background. I've been in the series since around CM3 or CM2 when Adrian Mihalcea was the best signing in the game. I've always been quite successful throughout the series. However, when the game developed into more complex variables i've grown frustrated with my lack of understanding of the match engine mechanics. I have some footballing background, having played it in youth levels and i have my own vision on what kind of football i like.

The youth challenge requirements are mostly the following: Use only players available at start and/or academy products, no signings/loans, no download tactics, no external programs, etc. 

Anyways, English is not my first or second language, so my apologies in advance.

150px-FC_Mordovia_Saransk.png

Mordovia Saransk

(Russian 3rd division)

BACKGROUND

FC Mordovia Saransk is a Russian association football club from Saransk, Republic of Mordovia. In its current state it was formed in 2005, through the merge of Biokhimik-Mordovia and Lisma-Mordovia.

The club was founded in 1961. In 2010, the club won promotion to the Russian First Division. On 8 May 2012 Mordovia beat Shinnik Yaroslavl 2–0 at home. This result meant that with a round to spare the team won promotion to the Russian Premier League for the 2012–13 season for the first time in its history. It was relegated back to the second tier after one season, and then returned to the Premier League for the 2014–15 season, taking 8th spot. After the next 2015–16 season, it was once again relegated. At the end of the 2016–17 season they were relegated for the second year in a row, to the third-tier Russian Professional Football League.      wikipedia

HONOURS

PFL Cup: 2009
Russian National Football League (2): 2011–12, 2013–14

club-details.png

Why Mordovia you ask? I wanted to manage in Russia this time and, of the teams promoted to the 2nd division, these seemed the most appealing. Big stadium, top corporate facilities, nice kit. On the flip side, the training and youth facilities/recruitment were absolutely terrible which makes the challenge even more... challenging. This gonna be a long time. Hopefully i can avoid the boot in time to build something good.

The Squad

Maxim Astafjev - 36 year old, close to retiring date.

He has very good mental attributes and with 13 at vision and technique, I will be hoping he will be a key assist provider.

0oR9v5p.png

Ruslan Mukhametshin - 37 years old, has half a season left before retiring too.

Very strong mental attributes and will be another major supplier although he likes to keep it simple. 

BoiwvHs.png

Alan Bagaev - 27, our key man in defence.

Often rash but he will be a key player for us, no doubt about it.

bDdCRDh.png

Mikhail Markin - 26, our main source of goals.

Annoying PPM but we will have to adjust to it.

OjxJJYL.png

Vladslav Adaev - 22, our source of pace, the one who will stretch the opposition.

Still lots to develop but he's one of the best we've got.

LFRjvpk.png

Vasily Cherov - 22, a solid RB but with his finishing skills i will be training him to be a forward.

We are ok in the fullbacks department.

vFYBjOl.png

Ruslan Navletov - 24, he is a solid anchorman.

Good aerial prowess.

HndmaHC.png

And both fullbacks. If they stay injury free i won't worry too much in that department.

A bit error prone but we couldn't ask much more at this level.

o5o8Ni7.png

ybduUsL.png

Season 1 Objectives

- Win promotion

- Improve facilities

- Introduce newgens to the senior squad

- Develop a personal style for the club in general.

Notes

After the first general assessment this will be very difficult. All senior players have lazy personalities and since i'm not allowed to make any signing, i will have to assemble a professional staff team hoping they have greater influence on youngsters personality. The terrible training facilities also make attribute development very hard but for now, i will keep things simple and focus on winning matches. 

Edited by KyleHyde
Title

Good luck with this! :thup:

Posted (edited)

Thanks @Sheriff7:thup:

19 May. – Still recovering from the hungover. The party lasted until morning i must say. Everyone around the club is buzzing with the promotion.

We started the league very well with a 1-0 win against the champions Spartak M-2 and netted 6 wins in 9 games. But since then and until the end of the year, in 16 games we only won 5 and then we had the winter break. I was still trying to figure out how to get the best of the players. A 4-1-4-1 was not causing too much issues against the opposition, i had no pace to explore the counter, nor strong dribblers to hold possession in attack whilst the slow support arrived. Tested an offensive 4-2-3-1 and even 3 at the back but things weren’t working.

The winter was tough, i missed Daghestan and our nice food. Saransk can get very lonely and ugly at times. But luckily i was too focused on the club so i came to the hotel just to sleep a few hours.

We had a pleasant training camp in Turkey for the winter break. I studied Bobby Robson’s 4-4-2 system again and while we didn’t have the players to pull that kind of football, i realized some of the basic principles were to my liking and could be implemented. Such as the number 10. Usually in the forward position that links up with the midfield but gets inside the box. A destroyer defensive midfielder too, that would help building from the back, paired with a strong box to box that roams all over the pitch, dribbles and does key passes, besides winning the ball back. And of course the wing play was always important. A more classical winger to stretch play and give the side some acceleration power, and a more tactical astute in the other flank, working on half spaces and supplying key passes.

Mentality wise i tried a defensive structure system but we got overwhelmed easily so we went with a counter mentality. Calm build up but quick transitions when the chance appeared. I found that it gave a sweet balance in transitions. In terms of shape we went with flexible. Sometimes with a little tweaks. Such as being more disciplined to keep shape against strong pairs of strikers or going fluid to become more compact. The midfielder holder was tweaked depending on the match. But i found out that since we were playing in a lower mentality, it wouldn’t hurt to try him as a CM support duty but with the hold position PI, just so he could line better with the box to box and also provide assists. Against sides that sit deep he made all the difference.

The box to box played beautifully after the tactical switch, making to 2nd place in the assist ranks. We most often played as a CM-A unless the opposition gave too much space in the flanks. In that case i’d use two attacking wingers and make him more cautious. Like the match against Armavir. They were very good with a 4-4-2 deep. Vaganov, our box to box, kept running against their two defensive midfielders so i changed him to a deep lying playmaker and he started dictating the game and pulling all the strings. After all they gave him the space for that so why not take more time to think your game?

After the winter game we went unbeaten until the end of season. The 4-4-2 still has issues but its simple nature made tweaks easier to understand. In the last match of the season we got 40 thousand on the stands. It was beautiful and we celebrated with a 3-0 win against Baltika. They could never get out of their box with their defensive 4-1-4-1. Great performance.

It must also be said that this was Maxim’s and Ruslan’s last professioanal game as they will retire this month. I think it is fantastic to go when you’re on a high. Our striker partnership was the 37 year old Ruslan’s Mukhametshin with a 15 year old kid from the academy. Ruslan was already 22 when Dmitry was born.

avgrating.png

Maxim, 36, was crucial in the right wing. No pace at this time of his career but the mental attributes were still there as his 4 player of the match shows. Lebedev started the season injured but since he came back the right back slot was his. Solid defensively and smart going forward. Some brilliant crosses and thankfully he still has a couple seasons with us before calling it a day.

season-1-table.png

Edited by KyleHyde
adding line

Good luck with Mordovia :thup: 

Posted (edited)

Mordovia Saransk - Season 2 review

After winning promotion in the first season with a 2nd place, just behind Spartak Moscow M-2, we were in for a beating against the Russian big boys. Very much like the first season, we struggled a bit during winter until the break, when we changed our tactical approach and turned things around. This time we barely made it with the relegation playoff but we came victorious in the end.

We went from being destroyed from every team in the division to becoming very difficult for any opponent to face. We gave up our approach of playing it tidy and simple to instead make use of our little strengths and thus, employing a high tempo, long ball football. Relying on our strength and resilience.

Finally, at our second season, we got a couple academy products into our first team. With the majority of our best players retiring due to old age, next season will be just as challenging, being forced to rely on 15 and 16 year olds. Our brightest talent has to be Vasiljev. Our Attacking center midfielder. He is still only 15 but jumped straight into the first team due to our main AMCs being 33 and older. He still has a long way to go, especially in the game intelligence department but no doubt he will be part of my plans next season. Umaev is the most promising striker but still not ready to take the starting slot. He is not developing very fast however, next season, we might have to start him due to our best striker Markin leaving. 

Shestakov is another promising attacker, mostly played as a right midfielder. He has good physical prowess which fits our style of play. Kiselev is a CB and got some minutes at the first team already. Still lot of work to do and due to our terrible facilities and the lack of tutors, the progress is not very fast.

Season  |  League      | Pos.  |   Cup   |     CL      |     EL      |     Top scorer          |  Top assists         |    Top rating           | 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19 |  FNL         |  2    |   1st r |   n/a       |     n/a     |    Markin (15)          |    Vaganov (13)      |   Lebedev (7,23)        | 
2019/20 |  Prem'erLiga |  13   |   1st r |   n/a       |     n/a     |    Markin (21)          |    Cherov (8)        |   Cherov (7,01)         | 

Season  |  Finances    |  Coaching  |  Recruitment       | Training Fac. | Youth Fac.       |  Stadium
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19 |   OK         |  Poor      |  Poor              | Poor          | Below Average    |  44,149 
2019/20 |   Secure     |  Average   |  Above Average     | Basic         | Adequate         |  44,149

Edited by KyleHyde

Posted (edited)

Thanks @john1 :thup:

Mordovia Saransk - Season 3 review

Upon barely avoiding relegation in previous season we wanted to aim a little higher this time, although the board expectations remained the same - to fight relegation bravely. After a terrible start we managed the occasional 3 points which kept us away from the bottom of the table. Eventually, as per usual, we found the best form after the winter break, with only 2 defeats in 10 games, which made us finish in a comfortable 9th position. 

For the cup, we fought Orenburg again. Beating them 3-2 in extra time only to be eliminated by Zenit next round by 1-3 at home.

Sadly, we lost our main striker, Markin, who rejected a new contract. We stayed without club throughout the season and eventually retired at the age of 26... Sad story.  For next season we will lose another couple veterans from the first team, but it will be interesting to see how we manage being forced to included youngsters in the lineup. The expectations are the same, although i plan to do even better while improving the conditions.

One thing I'm certain. If i left the club now, they would be already too good for the 2nd divisions, in terms of infrastructure.

Season  |  League      | Pos.  |   Cup   |     CL      |     EL      |     Top scorer          |  Top assists         |    Top rating           | Notes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19 |  FNL         |  2    |   1st r |   n/a       |     n/a     |    Markin (15)          |    Vaganov (13)      |   Lebedev (7,23)        | Improvement since changing to 442
2019/20 |  Prem'erLiga |  13   |   1st r |   n/a       |     n/a     |    Markin (21)          |    Cherov (8)        |   Cherov (7,01)         | Survived through relegation playoffs 
2020/21 |  Prem'erLiga |  9    |   2nd r |   n/a       |     n/a     |    Cherov (10)          |    Adaev (9)         |   Adaev (7,32)          | 

Season  |  Finances    |  Coaching  |  Recruitment       | Training Fac. | Youth Fac.       |  Stadium
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19 |   OK         |  Poor      |  Poor              | Poor          | Below Average    |  44,149 
2019/20 |   Secure     |  Average   |  Above Average     | Basic         | Adequate         |  44,149
2020/21 |   Secure     |  Average   |  Established       | Adequate      | Good             |  44,149

Edited by KyleHyde

Posted (edited)

Mordovia Saransk - Season 4 review

We started the season well despite the defeat against Spartak and stuck around the top 6 while also defeating our pet peaves Orenburg once again. Always a tough opponent for some reason. Was still tweaking our more progressive version of 442 but we were looking solid.

0VvHnhb.png

It was clear by then that Adaev was having a stormer, aided by the improvement in midfield by our new main striker Nikika Krylov and the holding midfield Yuri Ivanov. They came from last year's intake but needed a small maturation period in the u19s before jumping to the first team. We kept our amazing run, losing only to Lokomotiv Moscow until the winter break. 

I4u02T3.png

Historically, we do impressive later seasons after the break. If it was anything to go by, we would be fighting in the top5, depending on how other teams fared. If they were having poor seasons perhaps we could even achieve something special. We were tipped for automatic relegation by the bookers.

NNYq0Xx.png

After a comfy break we kept cutting teams like butter. With emerging talents like our wingers Popov and Frolov. And attacking quartet with deadly pace and acceleration, made any team scared of facing us. We could score anywhere and our morale was sky high.

pc0ILQG.png

Without realizing, we were in the title race with a bunch of 16 year olds. We had a very difficult set of games though, with only Tom being the match we were expected to win. And even them had the same season expectations as we did at the start.

EcS00YJ.png

Sadly, the boys didn't fare well with the pression and perhaps my too offensive tactics were to blame. I'm not one for excuses but we were terribly unlucky, at least, for the first 3-4 games where we were the much more dangerous side. The 0-3 against Krasnodar we had more shots on target, much more CCCs but still lost due to GK and defenders error. Some of them were very comical and i can only explain it by the youngsters not dealing well with pressure. All in all it was a big pleasure to be in this fight. 

aC7Kteg.png

This is how it panned out. Completely unexpected, even to myself. We were ripping teams up throughout most of the season. They couldn't deal with our pace and physicality.

f4KwUqD.png

Direct entry to the Europa League group stage. A nice financial boost (not that i can buy any players with it but still nice for club growth and more upgrades).

DFMSneK.png

moOKpE4.png

Our u19s won their group once again. Excellent work by the u19 manager despite me stealing the best players for the first team every year. But it's comforting that our system of play is being well executed across the club.

ev76Kzc.png

yXhdg3a.png

zS4u9xB.png 

zUrpnE3.png

H5b9AQj.png

Still a long way to go in national reputation and in sponsorship but we'll get there. We also increased the facilities and coaching as well as the number of personnel. 

Overall it was a terrific season that saw us with a slightly less mechanical approach. We went to a fluid shape and became more of a solid unit. After all it started to make more sense to me than a specialized system where i needed a particular type of player otherwise i'd need to adjust every time a player was injured or having a bad game. Instead we relied on a fluid system in which players focus more on overall movement and strategy and it worked great so far, even if we had sometimes too much creative freedom for their respective maturity. Next season we will look to make our tactic a little more solid in the back and our striker partnership more effective.

Season  |  League      | Pos.  |   Cup   |     CL      |     EL      |     Top scorer          |  Top assists         |    Top rating           | Notes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19 |  FNL         |  2    |   1st r |   n/a       |     n/a     |    Markin (15)          |    Vaganov (13)      |   Lebedev (7,23)        | Improvement since changing to 442
2019/20 |  Prem'erLiga |  13   |   1st r |   n/a       |     n/a     |    Markin (21)          |    Cherov (8)        |   Cherov (7,01)         | Survived through relegation playoffs 
2020/21 |  Prem'erLiga |  9    |   2nd r |   n/a       |     n/a     |    Cherov (10)          |    Adaev (9)         |   Adaev (7,32)          | 
2021/22 |  Prem'erLiga |  4    |   semi  |   n/a       |     n/a     |    Umaev (10)           |    Adaev (14)        |   Adaev (7,35)          | New fluid system

2020/21 |   Secure     |  Average   |  Established       | Adequate      | Good             |  44,149
2021/22 |   Secure     |  Excellent |  Well Established  | Adequate      | Good             |  44,149

Edited by KyleHyde

Key players

VswFEyH.png

Best player of the season, with highest average rating, man of the match (6) and assists (14). While he isn't a regen he was formed in Mordovia and never played in any other club. He feels the club and has excellent ability on the left wing.

7I8qX5p.png

Cherov is the captain. Strong and versatile, i trained him as striker but this season, with promising strikers emerging and our lack of defenders saw him return to his natural spot, in which he did very well. He still played some games up front, scoring 6 goals.

axrfkmY.png

TDXnDac.png

Frolov and Popov form our mighty wings. Even if Frolov doesn't get start often due to Adaev, he will eventually make that place his. Both have frightning acceleration and thrive on the space (no they aren't related to Gagarin).

NIfKu64.png

SvLuae2.png

Both Shestakov and Vasiljev saw plenty of game time this season but their development disappointed me. I don't have suitable tutors to better their personality so all i can do is better training conditions and game time. They had it and they still are a far cry from their potential. Shestakov played the false 9 role and he didn't do very well. I will try something different next season but i want to give him another chance, and it will be upfront where i'll play him. Vasiljev still has a lot to do with his passing and movement. I was hoping he would be an integral part of our future but i'm more reserved about that now.

Fyj1Ims.png

Yuri Ivanov is a beautiful prospect. Gave us the solidity we needed in the midfield. Only 16 but already one of the best players in the lineup. 16 also means still a bit error prone but it's just natural and something we have to live with.

2EHN8NA.png

One of the biggest change this season was moving away from the low block to a mid-higher block and it was thanks to this guy. A perfect partner to our more aerial beast Bagaev, Kiselev with his impressive physicality allowed us to play much more adventurously. As of late i had to resend him to the u21 team because his agent demands a 400k min release clause. Let's see how this goes, i was hoping i could lower his market value so the contract talk became more flexible.

wQZPnUv.png 

Finally, ladies and gents, Nikita Krylov. Couldn't ask for a better name, it's just so bad ass. Check out his attributes. He's had a season of growth in the main team and his improvement is fantastic. No idea about his professionalism but my guess is it shouldn't be too bad. I've mainly used him as false 9 although he's a natural Advanced Forward. His vast asset of skills allows him to do a bit of everything. Next season i would like to see him become more effective which should happen as he matures. I wouldn't say he's our key player, no. We still did well when he was off or injured but i believe he is our brightest talent. 

Posted (edited)

Season 5 Preview

fxp7yAz.png

jTz1z1l.png

I like the low expectations, especially with very young teams more focused on youth development because they don't deal as well with pressure. Europa league expectation is not hard to achieve, since we are automatically into the group stage. It will be the first time in Mordovia's history so we will take it as another experience to grow. For the Prem'er Liga, both the bookers and the board don't expect us to do more than fight for automatic relegation and see last season as total fluke. In reality i'm sure teams will be much more cautious against us so it will make things more difficult but i'll be fighting for the Europa League again (don't tell anyone).

Voc37Rd.png

Ural is always a tough side. Managed by Paulo Sousa and play with a very annoying 4231. In theory, we'll have space in the flanks, let's see if we can use it though!

Edited by KyleHyde

September 2022 update

mczVR7o.png

iztjnXN.png

CZOi6xu.png

Surreal start of the season with only 1 draw so far.  For some reason we have been super effective. Next game is away to Krasnodar where we always have issues and then it's against Koln, Mordovia's debut in continental competitions! Hope we can learn a lot and avoid heavy defeats but the individual difference might be too high.

Tactical Analysis for Season 5 - part 1

Positions and defensive shape of the 4411

Defensive-Shape-formation-tactics.png

Defensively with are able to create a tight barrier of two banks of 4, with the two strikers always harassing defenders. We press high and are very resilient. It's more suited to players attributes, since all players except the two wingers are very strong physically. Low block proved very ineffective for us, due to the poor concentration attributes of my defence. We changed to a high line so my players can all fight for the ball, well up the pitch, and still recover in time. Much stronger opponents deserve a little more reservation from our part but we are still adventurous.

Attacking transition

Attacking-Shape-formation-tactics.png

GK-S Has terrible handling but rushes out very well. We throws the ball to wing backs or sometimes kick it long.

WB-S They give the width of the system by staying wide.

DC-D Defensive line reasonably high, due to both CB's being very good athletically and sub-optimal when defending too deep.

IW-A Two daggers that cut inside at high speed with dribble more instructions that create overloads in central area and also explore the half space between between opposition defenders.

BWM-S The engine of the team, good physical attributes that allows him to cover the field and be very effective at duels, thanks to his high tackling. Comfortable with the ball too.

DLP-S The strings puller, an also physically developed player but more capable of setting the play, giving balance to an otherwise chaotic style. 

AM-S A needle player, stays between the lines and tries final ball flicks due to their technical quality. Usually this guy is also strong in the physical duels causing an headache to any team.

DLF-A Also helps in the defensive process but it's with his acceleration and flair that he often tricks the defenders catching balls over the top or arriving first to an early cross. Not an advanced forward for now, because I want him helping the overload between opposition defence and midfield, opening space wide for the Inverter Wingers and Wingback's.

Notes:

Overall we are playing like a big team, still a lot to improve, especially with final ball creation that sometimes lacks. Our number 10's although good technically, still have some crucial gaps in their skills that make that position rather frail. Like having very low teamwork or poor vision. Low mental attributes are very common with youngsters. Overall i'm satisfied that we have a clear tactical style developed, which in turn, makes me focus developing complete players rather than specialists that fit a specific tactical role.

Although my role description might have been of specialist functions, i think the shape in FM terms dictates more how the transition works. The more fluid you go the more compact it will be. Which means not only the closeness of each player but also the overall mentality and off the ball average movement. So with this i have my team playing like an unit. With fairly conservative roles in terms of creative freedom. Maybe next season the players are developed enough to have more tactical liberty.

Edited by KyleHyde

This is going well, quick progress through the seasons. The system seems well balanced as well. Keep pushing. :thup:

October 2022 update

gmZ3ejA.png

A bad month in the league, offset by our debut in international competitions with two wins in two matches. Koln were surprisingly cautious and we were by far the better team. Also a fantastic win against Baltika in the cup. A traditionally difficult opponent that regularly packs 35k in the stands. Speaking of each, we broke our match day revenue record against Koln, with 40k at our stadium reaching 250k in gate receipts. The rotation and heavy schedule saw us lose too many points in the league. We should be winning against Akhmat but we played with 10 most of the match.

wa5uQqw.png

Still a good position but we have had the easiest set of fixtures so far. The really challenge starts next month with Zenit, Dynamo, Lokomotiv and PSV in between.

NIAzdDQ.png

First ever senior international for our club. Too bad he is not interested in renewing contract with us.

November 2022 update

tfQ7WQR.png

Another busy month where we kept our poor league form but hopefully about to turn things around after an important victory over Dynamo. An epic win against PSV who paid us too much respect.

zif1Zev.png

Spartak and Zenit already too far ahead the rest.

Edited by KyleHyde

On 17/05/2018 at 11:15, KyleHyde said:

NIAzdDQ.png

First ever senior international for our club. Too bad he is not interested in renewing contract with us.

Did your 16/17 yo get called up for the national squad? :eek:

5 minutes ago, rodesire said:

Did your 16/17 yo get called up for the national squad? :eek:

Yes, I posted his current attributes earlier. Still 16 and not yet very effective. 6 goals from 18 games so far.

December 2022 update

p9WQN3c.png

A decent month with a disappointing defeat against managerless Lokomotiv, although it was 3 days after another epic away win against PSV. Europa league has been a walk in the park so far!

SB7BIMQ.png

We keep on the run for the 3rd place, with one game in hand over Krasnodar. 6th place and below seems far from us already. But can't leave our guard down.

yHOzIbf.png

Not a bad debut season in Europe. We got Stoke next. They have a CB worth 40M and they are way better than PSV but who knows?

Edited by KyleHyde

January 2023 update

q7lKh9Y.png

December went on swiftly as we got the two wins in the league right before the deserved Winter break. Got a draw with APOEL who is very defensive but we still topped our group. We weren't expected it to be so easy.

soZVaK0.png

For the league we won a couple points from the Zenit in the 2nd place and got further away from Dynamo and the rest. Easy fixtures though and still before finishing the Winter break, we will have to fight in the EL with Stoke. Added a few friendlies to get our boys sharp.