Set Piece Problem

Hi there,

I've put this here because I don't necessarily think it's a tactical problem and I'm unsure if it is a bug or not. Just thought I would see if anyone is experiencing the same thing.

I've recently noticed that almost all of my corners are being aimed for the midfielder outside of the box, which in turn leads to a high number of long shots and/or opposition counter attacks.

I've set up an attacking set piece instruction which has all of the players I want in the positions I want them and I have the kicker set to aim for the penalty spot.

However, I would say that a good 90% of my corners are hit to the midfielder camped on the edge of the box regardless of what instructions I put in place.

I wondered if it was because of my possession heavy tactic/match instructions and the corner taker was making the least risky pass but I'm not sure why this would override my set piece settings. 

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

(Admin feel free to move this/direct me to another area of the forum if this is in the wrong place).

21 hours ago, PinkSpeedos said:

I've set up an attacking set piece instruction which has all of the players I want in the positions I want them and I have the kicker set to aim for the penalty spot.

From my experience, the players will try to follow your set piece instructions, unless that option is not viable, e.g. crossing to the near with no player instructed to be there. Also, if you have many corners during a match, not every one of them is going to be aimed at the same place.

Regarding your setup, what players do you have in the penalty spot? The closest player may be the one in the edge of the area, that's why the crosser aims the ball there. Try instructing the taker to aim the ball to anther place to see what happens.

Could also be that your Corner Taker isn't very good and is aiming for the pen spot but doesn't have the ability to put the ball their with it instead going towards the edge of the area. Also depending on your highlights option you might not see the corners that do go to the pen spot if they don't create anything worth showing.

On 17/04/2018 at 11:43, kingjericho said:

From my experience, the players will try to follow your set piece instructions, unless that option is not viable, e.g. crossing to the near with no player instructed to be there. Also, if you have many corners during a match, not every one of them is going to be aimed at the same place.

Regarding your setup, what players do you have in the penalty spot? The closest player may be the one in the edge of the area, that's why the crosser aims the ball there. Try instructing the taker to aim the ball to anther place to see what happens.

I have a CB stationed at the front and back post. As for the penalty spot, I have a tall striker there. Other positions are filled by players from various areas of the field. 

It just seems strange that all I'm seeing is balls played to the man outside the box. Also, the player outside of the box is almost never marked. That could be why the corners are going there, but why wouldn't the AI have someone stationed there?

I will try aiming at a different place and see what happens (something I was going to try anyhow). 

Thanks for replying. 

21 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Could also be that your Corner Taker isn't very good and is aiming for the pen spot but doesn't have the ability to put the ball their with it instead going towards the edge of the area. Also depending on your highlights option you might not see the corners that do go to the pen spot if they don't create anything worth showing.

I'm playing as Leeds. Pablo Hernandez is my corner taker and he has a stat of 15 for those. Should be more than capable of putting balls into the box from a corner. 

It's possible that it isn't showing me those, but there must be some highlights right? Over the course of my first season I could probably count on my fingers how many highlights of corners I've seen where the ball has been put on the penalty spot, or even played into the penalty area rather than put the man on the edge of the box. 

On 4/17/2018 at 19:43, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Could also be that your Corner Taker isn't very good and is aiming for the pen spot but doesn't have the ability to put the ball their with it instead going towards the edge of the area. 

I`m not a professional footballer, but even I have the ability to put the ball relatively close to where I want to. 

I`m experiencing the same with free kicks, especially those that are close to the corner of the pitch, there`s 5-6 of my players inside the box and an unmarked player lurking outside the area (don`t know how he ended up there, there`s no option in the set piece creator to have one there) and instead of crossing it into the box, the FK taker just passes it to the unmarked player outside the area who then send a shot that most of the times is either blocked or doesn`t hit the target.

Could be a decisions thing, the taker deciding that your player outside the area is the best option.

Which means the instructions given might not be working as intended.

The ME doesn't give us robots that blindly follow instructions regardless, it does allow for some player initiative, keep tracking it and if possible make some saves available and submit it for investigation.

Maybe it's something, maybe it's not, can't hurt for people to have a look. 

Archived