Deciding your teams style of play.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to decide on a playing style for your team. I read the reports and look through player attributes but feel like I struggle putting the information into a tactic which usually results in me quitting after a while because I don’t know what it is I’m supposed to be looking for when watching matches.

Sorry if this sounds a bit daft, I struggled trying to put this into words. 

Firstly I try to mimic how they play in real life, if I'm doing a team I have no clue about say a league 2 team what I'd do is look at my players to decide the shape, so if there's a lack of wingers I might go 3 at the back. I'd keep the tactics simple so I might just add one or two which I'd like my team to do then see how the first couple of games go and adjust accordingly.

Also if the team has a team guide on here that helps

Hope that helps

I’m managing Southampton, turned first transfer window off. I’m more on about playing styles such as short passing, counter, attacking. Find it hard looking at the team and going “right that’s how we will play”.

This probably makes no sense 😂. 

Thanks for ylur reply. 

Probably depends on your expectation of your teams ability at the level they are playing. I don’t imagine a title contender would be looking to defend or a relegation candidate expecting to be attacking too much.

I love it when the wingers run to the byline (while going 1vs1 with full backs or so), then crossing the ball to lone striker or the mezzala and advanced playmaker. Sometimes they overcross and it ends up in the feet of the other winger which then scores. Also I prefer the fullbacks to support the attack, but not interfering in or near the 16. Otherwise the wingers will do inside forward-stuff and I don't want that. 

In the centre I want them to do shortpassing. Short kind of Tiki-Taka. That can be either in the centre or they need to distribute the ball to the fullbacks or wingers so they can do their run and cross-thingy. 

The defenders and the defensive midfielder are there just to soak up the balls and such. If they got the ball they either deliver it to the centre midfielders or the fullbacks or if lucky a big gaint pass to the lone striker, which then does a solo. 

It's something.png

Do you play FIFA? If so what’s your play style on there? 

I set my current system up to play how I play on FIFA. So far it’s working quite well.

Heres my post: 

couple of roles have changed as I’ve been going, but TI’s and PI’s the exact same.

5 hours ago, craiigman said:

Do you play FIFA? If so what’s your play style on there? 

I set my current system up to play how I play on FIFA. So far it’s working quite well.

Heres my post: 

couple of roles have changed as I’ve been going, but TI’s and PI’s the exact same.

How does this usually work for you? I play a lot of FIFA and have never thought about putting what I do there in to practice here. Given me a fair bit to think about. Are the formations the same as you would use in FIFA? 

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Grimboslice said:

How does this usually work for you? I play a lot of FIFA and have never thought about putting what I do there in to practice here. Given me a fair bit to think about. Are the formations the same as you would use in FIFA? 

Thanks. 

My thread I linked explains in full, but it’s more based on head to head than Ultimate team and trying to exploit FIFA.

So depends on how you play FIFA. But the general idea is, you probably play FIFA how you want to see football played, right? So what style is that?

I use the same formations I use in FIFA on FM: 442, 4141, 4411.

Obviously the FIFA engine and the FM engine have different strengths and weaknesses, so some compromises are required. But it’s a great template for working out your preferred style of play.

On 03/02/2018 at 13:42, Grimboslice said:

Thanks. 

You have any luck?

Look at your squad compared to the rest of the League. Here you can already look at your strengths compare to your rivals and your weakness. Here you can already have a idea of how you are going to play for the first season. 

I always want to play attacking football - so that is my to go tactic doesn't matter which club I manage. That does mean that in the first season it's very likely for me to struggle because the players are not good enough. So I recommend in the first season to play the strengths of you 'starter'team. 

Squad strengths usually has good info ..

If it says your team is ranked really high for heading & jumping compared to rest of league, then, as boring as it is, long high balls are probably a better choice for your team.

Although each time you play a match there is a slight variation in how it plays out, you can reload 1 match to mostly see how changing just 1 thing affects what happens in the game

whether that change is team based with mentality &/or shape, or individual based with role &/or duty.

the assistant suggestions (wrt formation) have been a great start for me when managing players i'm not familiar with. then i tweak based on the information on this very forum. utilise friendlies to see whats happening on the field. let your assistant take over the small tasks while you fine tune the tactics. the list can go on....

tactic creation has never been easier with mostly obvious repercussions visible in 3d mode. 

Archived