Why Cant i win a single away game HELP! PLEASE

I'm Wolves using the 4321 tactic will upload a pic in a second of the setup, I'm smashing teams at home but cannot for love nor money win a single away game and I'm ready for smashing my laptop up. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

sorry about the pic my screenshot button is dead on my laptop 💻 Really need some help from you pros I'm on the verge of crying actual tears I don't know what else to do a game ive loved for so many years I'm really starting to despise, the anger I'm feeling is not normal. the struggle is real :(

this is my current away tactic 

I'm new to this forum so apologies if ive not posted enough information etc ive been up for 28 hours solid restarted the game so many times. so stressed and tired and defeated I guess, you have no idea how grateful I would be for any tips at all 

the last sceeen shot is the tactic I use for the home games, even using that tactic away from home doesn’t work it’s like they have never played that tactic before ?? The game against forest was a complete fluke 

thanks ash 

7E033156-4102-4661-A458-3B18AF2D9CA8.jpeg

B6D88430-3003-4EBF-ADEC-2A0519898DC1.jpeg

7799C9DA-5593-4258-88F6-F3471E8224AC.jpeg

Have you tried dropping the d line for away games?

Also a AP in CAM and Trequartista straight in front in striker position will often end up occupying the same spaces as trequartista drops back deep into holes between midfield and defense, have you tried Jota or the striker in a different role?

I'm no tactics guru but I have an idea why you dominate at home and lose away - it's the role of the DMs.

The Segundo volante (of whatever it's called!) is programmed to support attacks upfield in possession and he's paired with a playmaker, not a defensive role. At home (as a top team with top players) you're expected to dominate possession and your opponent sits deep so you get away with it but away, when the opponent will attack more and is more likely to have the ball, you're left very exposed when you lose the ball - 5 players upfield plus two wingbacks leaving just the centre backs and a playmaker to defend.

I would either change the SV to a more defensive role when away or use Neves as the SV and pair with a DM/anchor-man.

The only way I would pair a SV with a playmaker would be if either there was 3 centre-backs or one of the full-backs was very defensive. 

Hope that helps

3 hours ago, Bradderz87 said:

Also guys any idea why when at home or away I have like 27 shots but only score one or two goals?

Have a look at how many CCCs you have compared to long shots. Think quality, not quantity. You may want to have TI 'work ball into box' if your players are tending to just shoot on sight.

30 minutes ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

Have a look at how many CCCs you have compared to long shots. Think quality, not quantity. You may want to have TI 'work ball into box' if your players are tending to just shoot on sight.

thanks mate will add that TI and see how it goes 

You've made a very focused tactic, but I don't think its parts fit together.  I don't know the players so can't say if it suits them either.

Your clearly playing a possession focused style, with the pressing and reducing through ball instructions.  But then look at the roles and duties, 4 attack duties will take risks even if you have reduced through balls.  For example this could be by dribbling or taking a shot when they get a glimpse of goal.

You don't look like you can keep a clean sheet, maybe your defenders aren't good at keeping such a high line?  Especially with tighter marking which can open passing lanes and runners leave there marker behind.  I'd focus on how you typically concede and trying to fix that, it's easier to win if you don't concede :brock:

13 hours ago, summatsupeer said:

You've made a very focused tactic, but I don't think its parts fit together.  I don't know the players so can't say if it suits them either.

Your clearly playing a possession focused style, with the pressing and reducing through ball instructions.  But then look at the roles and duties, 4 attack duties will take risks even if you have reduced through balls.  For example this could be by dribbling or taking a shot when they get a glimpse of goal.

You don't look like you can keep a clean sheet, maybe your defenders aren't good at keeping such a high line?  Especially with tighter marking which can open passing lanes and runners leave there marker behind.  I'd focus on how you typically concede and trying to fix that, it's easier to win if you don't concede :brock:

thanks man ive changed my stance a bit more when I get chance ill post what I'm using now, I'm up to 4th in the championship and haven't been beaten for about 6-8 games like I say I will post updates, ive changed my 2 central midfielders to more defensive roles when away from home and add retain possession 

This is how I’m set up now and you can see I’m going a lot better, but I’m still having 20+ shots at goal each game which is annoying can’t seem to shake that part of the game, I changed the tactic after those 2 defeats to reading and Leeds and been okay touch wood since then 

4A269163-737D-4561-94B8-BA88DB52A34E.jpeg

80B58F7A-84E9-4F6B-9AE1-6EE18CFFE164.jpeg

Famous last words lol I have work the ball into the box!!!!! 

How can this be? There bottom of the league can someone shed some light on this please? Really beginning to **** me off now! Absolute joke of a game! They have one shot on target all game and score!!!!! Fuming 

8867E6CC-2842-44F0-B910-9EE8FA52AEFE.jpeg

First of all, you are already achieving amazingly with Wolves if I look at your results.

Look at the stats first, how many long shots for instance? You have 25% of your shots on target, that's really poor - quality over quantity. If you have allot of shots outside there 16, you need to look back the highlights and see if your players have enough support before there shot is fired. If not, there is already a problem that can solve the low shot on target rate and also why work into the box doesn't work. How can you work the ball into the box when there is no players there or no passing options that can trigger that? Dig deeper, that is what analyzing is for.  

1 hour ago, Rooks said:

First of all, you are already achieving amazingly with Wolves if I look at your results.

Look at the stats first, how many long shots for instance? You have 25% of your shots on target, that's really poor - quality over quantity. If you have allot of shots outside there 16, you need to look back the highlights and see if your players have enough support before there shot is fired. If not, there is already a problem that can solve the low shot on target rate and also why work into the box doesn't work. How can you work the ball into the box when there is no players there or no passing options that can trigger that? Dig deeper, that is what analyzing is for.  

Thanks for the reply mate. Legend! I just don’t see how there can’t be any support up there when I’m using the 4231 formation there’s 4 attack minded players all up that end of the pitch one IF on Attack and one winger on support I play an AP on support and gave changed my striker to AF. 

It baffles me at times mate and it’s every game im producing 25 + shots and having only 6-9 on target some games I score 1 or 2 goals others when I’m lucky I can score 4 and on occasions 6. Can’t seem to find that in between no matter what I do? 

1 hour ago, Bradderz87 said:

there’s 4 attack minded players all up that end of the pitch one IF on Attack and one winger on support I play an AP on support and gave changed my striker to AF. 

That makes 2 attack minded players, not 4.

1 hour ago, Bradderz87 said:

It baffles me at times mate and it’s every game im producing 25 + shots and having only 6-9 on target some games I score 1 or 2 goals others when I’m lucky I can score 4 and on occasions 6. Can’t seem to find that in between no matter what I do? 

Because you only really have 2 players getting into the box - the AF and the IF.  The winger is out on the wing doing his winger thing, and the AP is hanging back deep looking for someone to pass it to, not seeing a pass and shooting.  The IF is trying to dribble his way through the defence, not seeing a passing option and having a shot while the AF is probably heavily marked and so not giving a passing option.

But first things first, check how your players stack up against your chosen roles.  Compare the role default PIs to their attributes.  Can the IF dribble?  Can the AP see a pass and execute it?  Who has good off the ball movement to find those small spaces?  And so on.

I've used a deep 4231 with Wolves after seeing Rashidi's Youtube video on setting it up. Or did you get it from Cleon's thread? I won the league but scraped a lot of wins and got lucky to be honest. My feedback would be this:

- The Wolves DCs are slow with acceleration & pace of around 11 / 12. I had to drop my defensive line to compensate, which worked in the most part but felt very passive at times

- Neves is an infuriating player who I just couldn't make the most of in the first season. The SV role is seductive, but can be wasteful with an attack duty. His 'shoots from distance' PPM can unhinge your entire tactic (get it trained out if him asap)

- I simply couldn't get the AMC to play well whoever I put there. I managed to loan Grujic from Liverpool, who did a good job. Do not play Jota there as he is not creative enough and is greedy; he needs to be on the end of moves e.g IF(a) not starting them

- Bonatini has the PPM 'Plays with back to goal' and I didn't want to isolate him, so I played him as a DLF(a) which worked pretty well. Consider a DLF(s) on higher mentalities. 

- Long shots are a continuous thorn in my side, regardless of the endless tactical advice and videos I trawl through. Lower mentalities and tempo are considerations to get players up in support around forwards / wide players

- Nearly all teams will park the bus against Wolves in the first season (they did against me anyway). I had to play wider and get the full backs up the pitch to break them down

- When winning away fro home consider going counter yourself to draw out the opposition. Add higher tempo and more direct passing to Neves for some balls over the top. Jota had a field day for me when I did this.

6 hours ago, Bradderz87 said:

Famous last words lol I have work the ball into the box!!!!! 

That won't stop players shooting or crossing if they think its the best option.  Its not just a off switch, its a modifier that reduces the chance that option is selected, but if its the only option the player can see or still thinks its the best option then he's going to do it. 

It doesn't matter how many shots you have, unless your going to claim they were mostly clear or half chances?  Many posts have mentioned it but you haven't responded to them so i'm going to repeat them, how many of those shots are long shots?  How many are blocked because there's no space?

What I said in my previous post still pretty much applies.  Your telling many of your team to make runs into space often, especially players high up the pitch and in pretty much all your wide positions.  Your then telling your team to Retain Possession which reduces passes into space, so with so many players making runs into space who is going to get a pass to feet?  Your telling your team to press high up the pitch which if successful pins opponents deep in there half and reduces space to run into.  See the mismatch in instructions and game plan?

To anyone with issues involving players attempting shots from long distance, yes, work the ball into the box is necessary, but also observe the offending player's preferred moves. If any involve shooting from distance, then consider swapping him to a more defensive position rather than forcing the issue. If you keep him away from the opponent's goal, then he can't shoot, simple. Also, use "shoot less often" in his individual tactics.

23 hours ago, herne79 said:

That makes 2 attack minded players, not 4.

Because you only really have 2 players getting into the box - the AF and the IF.  The winger is out on the wing doing his winger thing, and the AP is hanging back deep looking for someone to pass it to, not seeing a pass and shooting.  The IF is trying to dribble his way through the defence, not seeing a passing option and having a shot while the AF is probably heavily marked and so not giving a passing option.

But first things first, check how your players stack up against your chosen roles.  Compare the role default PIs to their attributes.  Can the IF dribble?  Can the AP see a pass and execute it?  Who has good off the ball movement to find those small spaces?  And so on.

yeah I suppose your right but as you know playing the 4231 the 4 players in attack are really high up the pitch so to me that means there all well in the oppositions half?

15 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

To anyone with issues involving players attempting shots from long distance, yes, work the ball into the box is necessary, but also observe the offending player's preferred moves. If any involve shooting from distance, then consider swapping him to a more defensive position rather than forcing the issue. If you keep him away from the opponent's goal, then he can't shoot, simple. Also, use "shoot less often" in his individual tactics.

yes, great advice ive selected the shoot less often option on both my wide players and have won the league with wolves, some very close "twitchy bum time" matches but the squad pulled through 

Archived